5th Wheel PIN BOX Modifications:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamper Dave

PIN BOX Modifications:
? Umbilical cord storage plus 12dcV electrical outlet. Last spring DW tried to stow the power cord into the pin box and managed to short out 12dcV producing a shower of sparks. The convertor failed shortly thereafter. So, we purchased a receptacle and mounted a steel extension box on top of the existing electrical junction box to hold the plug while parked. Using the connections on the receptacle we installed a switch to test the RV clearance lights and 12dcV receptacle that powers our homemade LED motion detector. The dummy receptacle holds the cord while in camp and supplies power to the new switch and new 12dcV outlet.
? Bird and rodent screen. We painted ?? hardware cloth and carefully cut it to shape and used black silicone to permanently glue it into the pin box. Now there are no more birds? nests to remove.
? Cowling stabilization and repair. We cracked the pin box cowling years ago and now have used hot Gorilla Tape to re-enforce the plastic. The cowling used to flutter while traveling so we screwed 3? steel ell brackets to the pin box and then wrapped foam pipe insulation around the ell brackets. The insulation fits tight up against the cowling so it cannot slip off of the bracket and no more fluttering in the wind.

How much money did you have to invest? We just usually insert the wire inside the pin box and leave the plug sticking out a little along with break away switch cable. We've never had any issues with birds or squirrels making nests inside the pin box.

Ive had birds nest, and had we kept the last one I would have done the screen this year. Our new trailers box doesnt go far so they wont have a chance to nest in it.
I put my cord up in the pin box, how did yours make contact? almost all of the terminals are female and they were shrouded. I am only asking so I can be more aware of my set up.
Tim 

Rene,
$20.00 and spare parts, if that.
Give them time. We never had pine squirrels try to take over the under-belly until last year. They are immune to Cab Fresh, moth ball, critter ridder, pepper, gorilla tape and spun glass but steel wool in every crack plus lead from a 20 gauge does work.

dustym said:
Ive had birds nest, and had we kept the last one I would have done the screen this year. Our new trailers box doesnt go far so they wont have a chance to nest in it.
I put my cord up in the pin box, how did yours make contact? almost all of the terminals are female and they were shrouded. I am only asking so I can be more aware of my set up.
Tim

Dusty, You are right it seems hard to do but DW did it and I'm not asking how.

Rene,
$20.00 and spare parts and the labor of an old man at $0.00  per hour. The Convertor was not cheap and wasn't something I wanted to do in camp, but I did.

Give them time. We never had pine squirrels try to take over the under-belly until last year. They are immune to Cab Fresh, moth ball, critter ridder, pepper, gorilla tape and spun glass but steel wool in every crack plus lead from a 20 gauge does work.

Some days I think a CAT would be a nice critter to have around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom