5th Wheel Tailgate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
We had an "oops" and our 5th wheel landed on the rear tailgate of our 3500 RAM.  The damage doesn't look terrible but the body shop said the tailgate can't be fixed and would have to be replaced.  They recommended a used tailgate in the same color as our truck.  (Evidently the cost of painting a new tailgate makes a used tailgate more cost effective.) The cost of a used tail gate will be a little over $1000 plus labor.

So  ...  we are looking at other alternatives.  We would like opinions and recommendations on 5th wheel tailgates vs a traditional tailgate.  The cost of 5th wheel tailgates seems to be less than 1/2 the cost of a used tailgate.

There's another wrinkle to our story. We would like to add a tonneau cover to our full bed truck but we (I) don't know how well that will work with a V-Gate style of 5th wheel tailgate.  DH says that there wouldn't be any problem but I wonder if a wind might be able to grab the tonneau cover through the hole in the 5th wheel tailgate. (Stranger things have happened to us.  ;)

I hope this all makes sense.  BTW we trust the body shop on the estimate.  Also we won't be turning this claim into our insurance agency.

I will leave the tailgate issues to others that have 5th wheels.

But I don't see any issue with the tonneau cover. You won't get a completely dry bed but it will keep most of the other debris out of the bed.

I did find these as options for the replacement tailgate.

https://www.etrailer.com/Best/Dodge/Ram_Pickup/Tailgate/Fifth_Wheel_Tailgate

Without a real tailgate, the side rails of the truck will bear the brunt of another oops. That happened to a friend of mine, and it was a lot more than a thousand bucks to repair. Just something else to think about.

Here is a link to a "fifth wheel pin catcher"  Which should catch the pin before damage is done,

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/BedSaverFifthWheelSafetySystems

It will not work with a tonneau cover closed  ;D

I'll bet I've seen 40 trucks over the years with damaged tailgates. The vast majority were from a fifthwheel trailer.

Always said if I owned a fifthwheel the first thing I'd do is remove the tailgate. 

The V-type tailgate can be convenient (assuming the Vee lets you back under the pin) and a lot less expensive than a factory replacement (new or used).  Don't both with the ventilated variant - holes or slots in the tailgate have no benefit on mpg.

You might check other sources for a tailgate. There are generic models available on Ebay (I have no idea how good they may be) and Amazon. Here's one for $219:

https://www.amazon.com/MBI-AUTO-Primered-2009-2018-CH1900129/dp/B074KHB5B8/.

Whether you buy new or used, painting the tailgate is going to be a major cost, probably $500 or so.

Max,

Are you getting a hard or soft cover for the bed? We have the bak-flip hard cover and really like it. It will fold back for towing but when it?s closed it locks with the tailgate. We couldn?t do this with a 5W tailgate. We keep our generators, gas cans plus tools in the truck bed so keeping that covered and locked when not hitched up is important to us. Just something you might want to consider. Sorry about your oops!

Vicki

a bak flip is heavy enough and "clips" into 8 spots (4 aside) on an 8ft box so no it wont open when driving and as mentioned flips bak out of the way when towing awesome awesome cover sold 1000"s literally in my day
husky makes a nice tailgate that locks and can still mount a camera for you

https://www.amazon.ca/Husky-Liners-Custom-Aluminum-Tailgate/dp/B0027SIK1O

price shown is Canadian so minus 35% for the exchange

steveblonde said:
a bak flip is heavy enough and "clips" into 8 spots (4 aside) on an 8ft box so no it wont open when driving and as mentioned flips bak out of the way when towing awesome awesome cover sold 1000"s literally in my day
husky makes a nice tailgate that locks and can still mount a camera for you

https://www.amazon.ca/Husky-Liners-Custom-Aluminum-Tailgate/dp/B0027SIK1O

price shown is Canadian so minus 35% for the exchange

WOW Steve. Don't scare her away. She can get a real nice one allot cheaper than that. Of course it's not aluminum and they come cheaper than the one I linked to:

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-VG-97-4000-Louvered-Tailgate/dp/B004HKQ35U/ref=sr_1_3?crid=YF74T22MS7WK&keywords=rv+tailgate+for+truck&qid=1555950453&s=gateway&sprefix=rv+tailgate%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-3

Thanks for the input, We are not going to change the tailgate at this time because the dent is hardly noticeable and does not effect latching at all. We are most likely going with an access cover.

Rene T said:
WOW Steve. Don't scare her away. She can get a real nice one allot cheaper than that. Of course it's not aluminum and they come cheaper than the one I linked to:

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-VG-97-4000-Louvered-Tailgate/dp/B004HKQ35U/ref=sr_1_3?crid=YF74T22MS7WK&keywords=rv+tailgate+for+truck&qid=1555950453&s=gateway&sprefix=rv+tailgate%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-3

You spend 75-100 grand on a truck - why would you cheap out on a tailgate or a cover that makes no sense

steveblonde said:
You spend 75-100 grand on a truck - why would you cheap out on a tailgate or a cover that makes no sense

Wow!  It makes no sense to spend 75-100 grand on a truck.  We spent less than $30,000 on our 3500 RAM Big Horn, Crew Cab, with full size box all in like new condition. The truck had less than 30,000 miles on it.  I guess we were either lucky or maybe we're savvy consumers. 

We spent 53000 on a new Ram 3500 dually 2017 model, but it was in 2018 when we bought it, so dealer was anxious to move it if you know what I mean.

MN Blue Skies said:
Wow!  It makes no sense to spend 75-100 grand on a truck.  We spent less than $30,000 on our 3500 RAM Big Horn, Crew Cab, with full size box all in like new condition. The truck had less than 30,000 miles on it.  I guess we were either lucky or maybe we're savvy consumers.

A fully loaded F350 Ram 3500 or Gm 3500 denalli dually will set you back over $100k sticker ( not purchase) here in canada before tax but remember we also pay 35% exchange plus your american tariff which is why the big 3 are all loosing moneys and sales which will start to affect the US econmoy in a shockwave sales of new trucks boats and rvs have plumeted to some of the lowest rates ever seen because of current IS policy the big Rv makers in Indiana are laying off peopke in droves the same with the car makers

rbrdriver said:
We spent 53000 on a new Ram 3500 dually 2017 model, but it was in 2018 when we bought it, so dealer was anxious to move it if you know what I mean.

The used 3500 RAMs in good condition seem to have a good resale value overall.

Yes!  DH is delighted when we pull into a CG and other RVers come over to ask about Big Blue.  However she does need some bling in my opinion.

MN Blue Skies said:
Yes!  DH is delighted when we pull into a CG and other RVers come over to ask about Big Blue.  However she does need some bling in my opinion.

your signature says "big blue" is a 2012

Gotta love low mileage diesel pick ups!
Mine was 3 years old with only 3,660 miles when I bought it.
It is a 2013 F350 and is still under 11,000 miles.
We need to camp more!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom