5th Wheel to Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkdorr

Hello! We have been looking for a while to move from our Artic Fox 29' 5th up to a Class A.  We are in the research and debate stage.  We will be short trippers for a couple years and then transition not into "full timers" per se, but long trippers for sure.  We look to be on the road for months at a time, (Alaska, Canada, and Lower 48) but still maintain a home base in Washington State.  For Winnebago we have found two we like, and of course they are different in many many ways lol. 

The Forza 34T is not that much more room than what we currently have but we REALLY like the drop down bed in front (grandkids).  The floor plan is what we consider the minimum for what we would accept.  Like some of the Journey models but way too $$$.  Also like the thought of having a diesel even if it is on the low end of the diesel spectrum.  We would like a separate lounge chair but on this model it does not come as an option.  Not a ton of under storage and pass thru seems to be just a name here.  From what I have seen on YouTube videos and reading people like them.  I just don't want to buy something like this and then want to move up after a year.

The Adventurer 38Q is a floor plan we really like, but it does not offer the option of the drop down bed in front.  It is also gas.  It is at the top of the length scale that I think we need.  I have seen that for a few bucks (ha ha) I can add quite a bit to the underside to get the ride upgraded greatly, sway bars, safe-t-plus steering, sumo springs etc. The cost of all of these upgrades would still be a drop in the bucket compared to the price difference between the Forza and Adventurer. Same as above, people on line seem to really like their model of the Adventurer as well.

The other part of the question is where to buy.  For this kind of $$$ buying used and letting someone else take the "hit" makes sense but not if you are buying their troubles.  Buying new and getting a hopeful 25-30% drop off MSRP would make it easier to swallow but still...
Also where to buy.  I have a conversation going with a salesperson at Lichtsinn RV near the Winnebago plant.  They have a great website, seem very very helpful.  Have not discussed price yet, so not sure what to expect on that end.  Really like the idea of getting exactly color/options that we want, being able to stay on property and really check it out before making a trip.  Local dealers seem ok but more used car salesman-ish. 

We have looked at some of the other brands.  Fleetwood does offer some nice models but can't see paying all the $$$ and NOT get a fiberglass roof.  Newmar and Tiffin are nice but $$$ and not sure to us if we can justify.  I have been really impressed with the information you can get off the Winnebago website, specs, drawings etc.  I'm sure you can "ask" for this from other manufacturers but why should I ask, just provide them like Winnebago! 

So that is my story for now.  If you have any thoughts about the models I put out or the dealership I'm all ears!  Kathy and I thank you in advance.

You definitely are doing your homework!  (good job :))  That amount of planning will serve you well.  As you have suggested, floorplan and design/features you want are much more important indicators than year/make/model.  Don't forget to shop gently used rigs online, you can save a TON of money over used.

dkdorr said:
For this kind of $$$ buying used and letting someone else take the "hit" makes sense but not if you are buying their troubles.

This rarely happens with a 3-5 year old unit (for instance) that has been well maintained and not obviously abused.  In fact, by that point most of the "shakedown" defects have already been handled by the first owner, so you may often have a smoother ownership experience.  Motorhomes depreciate 40-50% in the first few years, so it's up to you whether you want to bear that financial strike or let someone else do it.  ;)

I'll let others chime in on some of the other items you mentioned, as far as fulltiming (or heavy part-timing) is concerned.  Keep on reading and asking questions, and it will all pan out!

We came from a 5th wheel, and I took the risk on a 3 yo unit (Meridian = Journey).  Other than the Dealer let the ice maker solenoid freeze, I've had very little trouble.  In fact it is far less trouble than I was having with 2014 fifth wheel that we bought new.  I think I fixed an AC relay and junked the rooftop dome for a Travler satellite antenna, the rest of the time has been having fun or sitting in my chair relishing how easy it is to operate and set up!

As you stated, one of the first reasons we looked at the W is the available drawings and parts.  I have a complete list of parts used on my unit by vin number on my tablet, a comprehensive manual system, and nearly every part is numbered inside the coach.  So far, I put the part number in the url on the web, and usually find the part on Amazon through the Winnebago store.  Big change from the "field build" they did on our 5th wheel that took 3 deliveries to get the correct bedspread.

Congratulations on doing your homework but I have to take exception to one thing you said. You are not moving "up" to a class A. It is a sideways move. Class As are not above fifth wheels, they are a different tool for a different job. I just went in the opposite direction. After three class As in a row and a few class Cs and a few class Bs I bought my first fifth wheel. I have given up on RVing and moving around and the class A I was living in was too small so I got a fifth wheel with three slides and I feel like I could play racquetball in the living room. This is a much nicer rig than my last class A was but not as nice as the DP I had a few years ago (it was really my girlfriend's RV, long story).

My advice is to agree with Scotty and go for a three to five year old gently used rig. You will have a lot less problems than if you buy new. I have read too many horror stories from people on this forum that bought a new RV and it spent most of the first six months sitting at the dealership waiting for parts. With a used rig if there is a problem you are not saddled with relying on a dealership. You call a mobile mechanic and him come to you and fix the problem. No silly games to play. My other advice is not to settle on a floor plan. Find one that completely blows you away. Take you time and be absolutely sure it is the RV of your dreams. And buy the largest one you can find. You will spend 95% of your time living in it and 5% of your time driving it so there is no logical reason to go small. They all get roughly the same gas mileage so a smaller one won't save you money on gas.

We are testing this RVing life too, with the purchase of a 1995 HR Imperial diesel pusher bus, no slides.  Wanted to get into something that is not too expensive to experience this.  I was sold when I saw a restroom that did not have a 18" wide closed with the toilet in it (for my large asset) & was more like the cruise ships +  wanted a diesel for more power & better cost/mile. On our 15 Dec trip to Yuma, 39 days, this RV dp gave us 9+ mpg, for the weight we were moving that is better than a gas pushing the same.  I can not say enough good about the Spartan chassis that HR built the living spaces on...  BUT...  The jury is still out on RVing live.  I should have inspected this Bus more so.  For it has become a project on wheels.
1)  Most of the electrical is dirty/ corroded/unsealed connections (molex connectors are silver plated = not good if unsealed/no grease).  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TO CLEAN WHEN IT COMES TO ELECTRICAL & COPPER PIPE PLUMBING.
2) Has new batteries, both starting & chassis but connections were corroded = cleaning & sealing job.
3) Just B4 heading to Yuma, found that the 40K BTU furnace's heat exchanger has a hole in it.  We added an extra CO detector with digital read out & in Yuma made a reliable furnace out of a 18K BTU that was near new with the shroud of the 40K unit.  This 18K BTU guts work good, take longer to warm up the bus but still holds & cycles with out side being 10 degrees + is more efficient than old 40K in heat realized.
4)  I wished I had pulled out lower drawers to look behind & would have seen the water stains...  I believe that the hot water tank had a leak & flooder the bus, for there is not only water stains but floor plywood has dry rot in areas.
5)  The Bus has aluminum frame, double pain windows & they sweat & leak (expansion of Aluminum & Fiberglass is way different)  I need to install "Eye Brows", & I use a "Flex-Seal" type clear spray on to seal any area that maybe cracked.  The sweating has dripped down the wall & the door-skin like paneling is dry rotted below windows.

Every thing worked when 1st looking, & my 1st time driving, was an experience, for unknown to seller & me the high pressure hose in the power steering had blown & the RV was hard to steer & keep in the lane.  Seller had it repaired ($1,100) & the second driving was good, but so different from driving a Chevy AVEO.  Couple other short drives/outings B4 trip to Yuma....  But the Jury is still out...  We'll see what this summer is like. 
RV handled good in ice & snow, except in stopping.  Lots of small issues that required stopping & fixing.  But nothing I could not handel being a licensed A&P + Avionics mechanic.  That is why we are trying this RVing life style & looking on giving up flying my 1956 Cessna 172, new regulations are making flying just to expensive for us on SSI...  That is Gov for you.....  John

You also mentioned about putting a lot of money into upgrading the suspension on a Winnie gasser if you get one.  My humble advice would be to put some miles on one first. We have close to 20K on ours and could not be happier with the ride and handling in stock configuration.

I expect you will regret the drop drop down bed eventually. Let em sleep on air mattresses (assuming they are not always with you). Anyone small enough to use that bed is likely to go to bed before you.

Get the floor plan you love and diesel if you like. We still love ours after three years full time and we bought it near new (16 months old) for about 45% below list. In fact; we'd recommend it for any couple primarily traveling alone.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom