6'' lift hauling 5th wheel toy hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hela69

I have a chevy 2500 duramax and plan on getting a 6'' suspension lift. Will i be able to tow a Raptor 298mp toy hauler without the trailer hittig the bed rails? What should be the distance between trailer and bed rails? Is there some rule of thumb people go by?

You will likely have problems with the trailer if you do the lift. How much clearance do you have now?

I like to see at least 6" of clearance over the side rails, but the minimum amount you can get away with will depend on the hitch and the trailer suspension, i.e. how much side-to-side rocking movement they allow.

My truck is stock right now, and plan on picking it up some time next week from dealership. Like I said, I want to try and get a 6'' lift with possibly 35'' tires. I'm going to get a DrawTite 16K Signature Series with a slider. The dealership sales people say it will work and a suspension shop said it would be very close.

hela69 said:
The dealership sales people say it will work and a suspension shop said it would be very close.

Unfortunately most dealers will tell what ever they feel will insure a sale.  Just remember the dealer isn't putting his safety at risk or exposing himself to liability issues.  I just bet your dealer will not sign a document stating that it will work and be legal.

I have a 2005 2500HD D/A with a 4" lift in the front and 2" in the back with 295/65/16 tires. Side clearance is about 5". I am very carefull when I turn going up or down a hill. Sometimes things are very close but so far no damage. I don't think you will be able to tow with that lift and tire combination. My guess is you would have to have the axles flipped and a frame lift to the trailer for that combination. I would think you would loose your towing stability having to go that high. I would want to do it but I guess it would work. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with your plan. As said earlier, most not all dealers will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale.

Yeah, go back to the dealer and ask them if they can put that in writing for you and have it notorized. My guess is they will change their mind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom