85 Mallard...at stand still, so thinking about other things to do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giamantic

We are at a stand still right now with the Mallard.  Mainly due to weather, because here in Wisconsin, you just never know what you are going to get.  It has been cold and rainy all week, and wouldn't you know it.  We don't work this weekend and it's suppose to be nice today and Sunday but we will be out of town all weekend. 

So in the meantime, Stacy started asking about the outside shell.  How hard would it be to replace it, what would we use, etc?  So I am wanting to know what everyone's thoughts are to her questions.  How hard would it be to replace (update) the shell? 
Oh yeah, we decided to name the camper Callie, after our favorite character on Grey's Anatomy.  Like the character, our camper has a whole lot spirit and attitude.

http://85mallardmod.blogspot.com

Wow - you have gutted the inside and now you are thinking about replacing the shell!  That's far more than I have the skills to take on.  I suspect I could tear things out pretty well but am very doubtful I could put everything back!

rjf7g - LOL...it's just a thought at this point.  Not being able to work on it has made the mind wander. 

sew2bhappy - between LaCrosse and Eau Claire. 

We are hoping that now that we have all the appropriate tools needed, we can rock and roll on it.  Wednesday is my day off and it's suppose to be nice out so I hope I can get a lot done. 

I have been to LaCrosse!  A few years ago I took my father (89 at the time) back to his home town of Winona, MN - and while we were there they were holding the Grand Excursion.  What fun - and we did 4th of July on the river in LaCrosse.  Still have cousins in Winona and I think I may still have some distant cousins in Eau Claire!  I hope to take our 5th wheel to Winona July of 2012 and do the 4th on the river again!

Keep chipping away at Callie - I really would like to watch the progress and see her when all done! ;D

Millie-

Time on the river can be beautiful here.  Winona is only about a half hour away from where I live (Independence).  My mom and some of her siblings actually camp in Winona.  We go to Winona every other week on payday to pick up supplies...lol. 

Callie is going to be worked on tomorrow.  It is suppose to be nice out and I have the day off.  So plans are to finish re-framing windows and taking out what cupboards were remaining.  Stacy changed her mind and wants the ones in the bedroom out.  She came up with a pretty cute idea.  After that if weather and time permitt, I will be starting to add insulation.  We got a whole bunch of tools from her dad.  I think Craftsman should be paying him for the use of their tools.  As I think he has every single one of their tools...lol.  I'm excited because I haven't been able to get in there for a week now. 

Thank you for your comments and I hope you do get over this way like you plan to.  Because it can be absolutely breath taking (when mother nature is behaving).

I just save this post and I  must say I am very impressed with your  ability to take on this job....hope things go smoothly with the rebuild.. :)

Great blog and pics. It's fun to document it as you go along.

Sounds like you have the energy and the ideas to make it happen.  Just keep MOVING on it, don't let it go idle. I rebuilt a sailboat, not sure I have the energy to rebuild an RV, that being said, I do keeping fixing this and that on my RV, upgrading here and there. But no plans to rip anything out...

Tons of RV's out there for sale with half-remodels done. Keeping up the momentum is the hardest part apparently.

I was recently in a campground with a lot of older travel trailers with fulltimers living in them. The management delivered  a newsletter that it was TIME for everyone to do serious spring cleaning.  (Otherwise you get a letter from the manager detailing their suggestions, if you plan to continue renting.)

Several just painted their outside with a paint brush, no sprayer. A fresh coat of paint did wonders for the outer shell of these older units, making them look nearly new again.  I watched an old fifth wheel pull in, looked like something from the 50's.  I watched the lady paint, day after day, when she was finished, it did look fabulous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom