85 MPH in Montana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff said:
Ned

55MPH across WEST TEXAS? ::)
Is that when you would calculate travel in days, rather than hours?

There are many factors that go into assigning a speed limit to a highway, or any roadway for that matter.  Design, on-ramp and off-ramp characteristics, environment, distractions, such as in an urban area, where you have ramps in closer proximity to each other, business and residential layout, the average speed of vehicles currently using the roadway (why would you limit speed to 55, if vehicles are already driving 70 on the roadway, and all other factors support that speed), road condition, and many more factors.

To do differently, is to get yourself labeled as a "speed trap", where the big belly Sheriff, hides behind a billboard, and catches all the speeders, as they cross over the County Line, so they can fund the budget, without increasing taxes.

I know many people who advocate with Ned's desire to limit speed to 55.  But one size doesn't fit all.  Some vehicles get excellent fuel mileage at 70 mph, while others don't.  So why not utilize the design of the road to it's fullest extent?  It is also the fact, that during the national campaign which limited speed limits to 55 mph, few if any motorists actually drove 55, and the police weren't able to adequately enforce it, so it went the way of prohibition.

rebelsun said:
Is that when you would calculate travel in days, rather than hours?

There are many factors that go into assigning a speed limit to a highway, or any roadway for that matter.  Design, on-ramp and off-ramp characteristics, environment, distractions, such as in an urban area, where you have ramps in closer proximity to each other, business and residential layout, the average speed of vehicles currently using the roadway (why would you limit speed to 55, if vehicles are already driving 70 on the roadway, and all other factors support that speed), road condition, and many more factors.

To do differently, is to get yourself labeled as a "speed trap", where the big belly Sheriff, hides behind a billboard, and catches all the speeders, as they cross over the County Line, so they can fund the budget, without increasing taxes.

I know many people who advocate with Ned's desire to limit speed to 55.  But one size doesn't fit all.  Some vehicles get excellent fuel mileage at 70 mph, while others don't.  So why not utilize the design of the road to it's fullest extent?  It is also the fact, that during the national campaign which limited speed limits to 55 mph, few if any motorists actually drove 55, and the police weren't able to adequately enforce it, so it went the way of prohibition.

This brings another thing to mind, on my bike, if the speed limit is 85, I'll be doing every bit of it.  Yes, I can get about 50 mpg at 55, and only about 35 at 85, but I don't drive the bike for fuel economy, I drive it for the rush and freedom I feel when I ride.  So I have to agree, one size does not fit all.  I would think they guy with the corvette, or other sports cars are going to enjoy the drive more at 85 as well.

The MH and truck are a different matter all together.  There is no rush or thrill to driving either of them fast, just stress for me, I relax, start my book on device, (gotta love that Audible.com) and go.  Without having to worry about having to pass anyone, no changing lanes, no slowing down, it makes for a very peaceful drive.  The problem with 60-65 is that most of the big company trucks are governed there, so all day long they're a problem, at 55, no problems, just peace. 

Len and Jo said:
Glad you bought it up.  Just so happens I did get rear ended (clipped) in my car going 70mph.  Coming home from AA, Michigan late at night on on empty freeway.  I noted these head lights behind us closing VERY FAST.  I was traveling 70ish and I would GUESS that the car coming up was doing 100ish (who really knows).  Anyway as he/she/it got closer and closer but did not switch over to the high speed lane, I told my wife we are going to be hit and cut the car towards the shoulder.  The he/she/it woke up then, they were 2-3 car lengths behind us and cut to the high speed lane.  They clipped my rr fender (company car - large Cadillac,  glad I wasn't driving one of our personal smaller cars), they SPUN AROUND right next to me!  There we are I'm driving 70ish and this other care is driving BACKWARDS at 70ish right next to us.  Nice that Cadillac leather seats are Scotch Guarded.  That lasted for 3-6 seconds (or was it milliseconds that seemed like seconds?) then he/she/it swerved left into the median.  Spun around a few more times and speeded by us as we stopped on the shoulder.  Next day when I filled a report for insurance claim the State Police officer listened and had this look on his face like now I have heard them all.

Now you can say you have heard of one.

That must have been a heck of accomplishment for you to be headed to the shoulder and the car coming behind hit your "They clipped my rr fender" RIGHT fender which was on the shoulder, then spin around on your left.  I'm hoping you meant LEFT Quarter panel, or left rear fender.

But your incident shows that even at 70 MPH you can get hit from behind. So if you were going 55 the crash would have been even worse. If you'd been going 85 he might not have even hit you. Which would have been even better. Glad no one was hurt.

Ken

rr fender- rear fender.  Yes, left rr corner of fender.  At their speed, what ever that was, I would guess we were just crossing the shoulder white line with the front right of the car when they clipped. 

Rancher Will said:
The Carter 55 MPH law years ago cost us a bundle, as it did every other business and trucker on the road. Millions of us were very happy when that stupid law law was repealed. The 55 MPH law cost us both in fuel and time.

It amazes me at the inaccuracy of some people memories based  apparently on their political leanings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law

Richard Nixon was President in 1974

Paul

Problem for me in my 2002 Dodge Diesel I've got 3.55 gears in the axles. At 85 MPH I'm turning nearly 2,500 RPM's in 5th Gear and have a red line of 3,200 RPM's My efficiency is down around 1,500 to 1,800 RPM which drag me all the way back to 55 to 65 MPH. My truck was never designed to travel much past 75 MPH. Now the 98.5 to 02 Dodge Trucks have a option for 4.11 gears. Now that make it impossible to get over 75 MPH without red lining the Cummins Diesel engine.

Still there is the ST tire problem most ST tires are limited to 65 MPH period. Tire manufactures are not doing much about raising the designed speed limits of the ST tires.

Then there is all kind of other highways you can travel. Like myself I rarely even use the I84 interstate south of me. Now that its at 80 MPH. I found so many other highways to enjoy with much slower speed limits. Since I work with both Idaho Search & Rescue (Idaho County Police) and Salmon River Rural Fire Dept I've seen my fair share of vehicle accidents. Majority are involving excessive speed. I love the two lane highways like US95 running north to south through Idaho. Then there is State Highway 55 beautiful area to travel through. State Highway 12 heading to Montana is also really  nice too. Beautiful country and bunch of wonderful places to camp. Like myself I tend to avoid the interstate highways all together...

Mopar1973Man said:
Still there is the ST tire problem most ST tires are limited to 65 MPH period. Tire manufactures are not doing much about raising the designed speed limits of the ST tires.

seen my fair share of vehicle accidents. Majority are involving excessive speed.

The tire problem is my major concern.  As we've increased the speed limits, the tire manufacturers have not diligently raised the speed ratings, yet most people aren't even aware a tire is speed rated.  So they running their vehicles past the safe operating speed for the vehicle as equipped.

Many studies have been done that infer that speed is a "factor" in the accident.  Yes when professionals inspect each accident report in which NHTSA derived these conclusions, it's found that inattention, changing lanes, etc. was the main factor, speed was just a contributing factor.  If your (texting, talking on the phone, lighting a cigarette, eating, changing music, etc) and traveling at a fast speed, the distance one travels without their eyes on the road greatly increases, so mistakes are magnified.  The speed itself is not a problem if people are paying attention to their driving, the problem is most people believe they should multitask while driving, and that is cause of the accident.  At 10 mph if you run off the shoulder of the road, you'll probably be fine, at 85 mph, you'll probably flip the car.  They came to this conclusion by going through each accident report, as opposed to NHTSA using a compilation of the data.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
As we've increased the speed limits, the tire manufacturers have not diligently raised the speed ratings, yet most people aren't even aware a tire is speed rated. 

The tire manufacturer do give a speed rating on their tires .  Operators should be aware of what speed rated tires they have on their vehicles and get the appropriate rated tire for their own needs.  It isn't the tire manufacturers job to do that. 

Early 70's I drove for the NY Daily News? From the Brooklyn plant out to Suffolk County and Montauk Point.

Delivered newspapers. I believe it was Hartford Insurance Company had bumper stickers made up "Thrilling, Chilling, Killing Speed"

There was also a sticker over the inside door "Through these doors pass the fastest drivers in the world"

You might be the best driver in the state, but you do not know what the other driver is thinking, or what he/she is going to do. Just saw on the news yesterday, a 18 wheeler took out a toll booth in New Hampshire, and I mean TOOK IT OUT".

And another thing...driving 85 mph to keep from being rear-ended only ensures a faster launch off the road when along comes Mr. 100 mph who's on the phone or pouring hot coffee in his crouch.

Mopar1973Man said:
Problem for me in my 2002 Dodge Diesel I've got 3.55 gears in the axles. At 85 MPH I'm turning nearly 2,500 RPM's in 5th Gear and have a red line of 3,200 RPM's My efficiency is down around 1,500 to 1,800 RPM which drag me all the way back to 55 to 65 MPH. My truck was never designed to travel much past 75 MPH. Now the 98.5 to 02 Dodge Trucks have a option for 4.11 gears. Now that make it impossible to get over 75 MPH without red lining the Cummins Diesel engine.

The beauty of 6 speeds and a tall overdrive....at 75, my Cummins is rotating at a nice healthy 1800 RPM.  At 85 it's a tick over 2000.  The truck will easily run into triple digit speeds.....errr....so I've heard.  ;)

Of course, none of that matters as when I'm towing, I stick around 55-60 mph, and Tow/Haul locks out the overdrive. 

ArdraF said:
An interesting article recently discussed the difference between European drivers and American drivers as it relates to fast driving speeds.  They pointed out that German drivers on the Autobahn "DRIVE" and wouldn't consider texting, drinking coffee, eating, and all the other things Americans do WHILE driving.  When I look at the people around me as I'm driving I sometimes wonder if they have any clue how they would react in an emergency if they're distracted by whatever.

Yes, there are remote places like Montana and Wyoming where faster speeds might be more acceptable because there's less traffic, but they're also considering raising the speed limit in Nevada which has terrible drivers with statistics to prove it.  An example is #1 in single vehicle accident fatalities.  Some states should not raise their speed limits because the drivers can't handle what they now have and they put me and those I love at risk.

ArdraF
On the Autobahns in Germany, you pay for everything, if you have an accident, so you must keep your wits about you. On non Autobahns, it is similar to the US

Rancher Will said:
After reading the above, I guess that I am in the middle.

I and my wife regularly travel every month of the year in the Western United States in our Monty. I also own Eight Semi Trucks that also travel from the Midwest to the West Coat all year long every day.

The Carter 55 MPH law years ago cost us a bundle, as it did every other business and trucker on the road. Millions of us were very happy when that stupid law law was repealed. The 55 MPH law cost us both in fuel and time.

Now most states, at least West of the Midwest, have a 75 to 85 MPH limit on the Interstates and usually 65 to 70 MPH limit on other, usually 2-lane highways. I am happy with these both in our RV and also for our Semi's. Although I normally travel with our RV at about 60 to 65 MPH It is no problem traveling on a 75 to 85 MPH Highway. There  is no problem with others passing our Monty when we are in the right lane and there are one or two faster lanes to te left. On those two lane highways when we are traveling slower than faster rigs, there is no problem with them passing when clear or on passing lanes which are common most places.

Montana has a lower axle weight limit than surrounding states that costs us, and along with the speed limit for trucks, we need Montana to equalize their weight laws to match surrounding states.

[Remember, the Interstate Highways, authorized by Congress at the request of Pres Eisenhower, were authorized and designed primarily for truck traffic. Auto, including RVs traveling on the same highways were and are only a secondary consideration.  The Interstate Highways were built to accommodate truck traffic.
I enjoyed reading your post.

But, two things: First, Carter had nothing to do with the 55 MPH law. In fact there never was a 55 MPH law. States determine speed limits even on interstates. In 1974 President Nixon signed the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act. This act prohibited federal highway funding to any state with a maximum speed limit above 55 MPH. All states complied, rather than lose federal funding. Most states complied before Carter even took office.

Second, the Interstates were created for a variety of reasons, and I disagree that trucking was the primary concern. For example, two important reasons, considering the time-period, were: Ease of movement of military vehicles across the country and ease of evacuation in case of a nuclear attack.

Michael

Michael, your post agrees with my memories of the period, especially about the purpose of the Interstates and the timing (a too-late knee-jerk reaction to the fuel "shortage" gambit). And I never heard it called the "Carter 55MPH Law," or anything similar.

Tinmania said:

But, two things: First, Carter had nothing to do with the 55 MPH law. In fact there never was a 55 MPH law. States determine speed limits even on interstates. In 1974 President Nixon signed the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act. This act prohibited federal highway funding to any state with a maximum speed limit above 55 MPH. All states complied, rather than lose federal funding. Most states complied before Carter even took office.

Second, the Interstates were created for a variety of reasons, and I disagree that trucking was the primary concern. For example, two important reasons, considering the time-period, were: Ease of movement of military vehicles across the country and ease of evacuation in case of a nuclear attack.

Michael

So that ticket I got for goint 65 in a 55 wasn't valid? If there wasn't a law, then how did they enforce the 55 mph speed limit?

Sometimes broad sweeping statements just don't make any sense. I'll bet if you looked closely, every state changed their law to make 55 the maximum speed.

Ken

bucks2 said:
So that ticket I got for goint 65 in a 55 wasn't valid? If there wasn't a law, then how did they enforce the 55 mph speed limit?

Sometimes broad sweeping statements just don't make any sense. I'll bet if you looked closely, every state changed their law to make 55 the maximum speed.

Ken
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. I already wrote, which you quoted above that "all states complied." But there still was no federal speed limit, and the act that Nixon signed that caused states to comply predated Carter. You were issued a citation from the state in which it occurred. It was not a federal offense, no pun intended.

Now there were states that were not happy about complying and many times you would not get a ticket for "speeding" but rather a non-moving violation with a token fine of $10 or so (if you were under, or close to, the speed limit in effect before it was lowered to 55). Those were commonly referred to a wasting resources/energy citations. To keep on topic, Montana was one of those states. (Idaho, Arizona, and at least one others done that at one time or another.)

Michael

I believe in 1974 the federal government threatened to withhold federal highway dollars from the states if they didn't set their maximum speed limits to 55 mph.  So it wasn't technically a federal law that one drive 55 mph, it was a federal law that your money will be held hostage if you don't do what we say. 

Follow the money... 8)

Tinmania said:

Michael

Let me try again. The states have laws. The state laws are what all speeding fines are based on. I got the ticket based on a state 55 mph law. When you say..... "In fact there never was a 55 MPH law." that is, IMHO wrong. There were at least 50 of them.

Ken

This is correct.  Eisenhower originally put forth the idea of the interstate system because he learned as a young army officer in the early 1900s how difficult it was to move military supplies across the country without decent roads.  The idea became reality after he became President and signed it into law.  We can thank him for having the foresight to propose this wonderful system of roads we so enjoy.  Years ago one of my friends found her aunt's diary that described her trek driving across the U.S. in the early 1900s and her experience was similar to Eisenhower's with mostly dirt tracks to find her way.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom