94 Fleetwood Flare Door Replacement or Method to fix it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gateway

Earlier this year my RV door has become harder and harder to close, and people tend to slam the door and finally I wasn't able to close it and now have bungie cords holding it shut for now.  Its at a RV storage but looking to figure out the best approach to replace or fix it.  Looking at it, its in some sort of metal frame and I think either all the bolts/screws have shifted a bit making it angle down a bit. 

I was wondering if anyone has taken theirs completely apart and reseated/screwed things back in or if its worth just trying to find another one somewhere.

Suggestions?

The door on my Bounder became hard to close.  After close inspection I found that the hinges themselves had worn, causing the door to drop.
I disassembled the hinges one at a time and added some shims.  Door works perfectly now.

Old_Crow said:
The door on my Bounder became hard to close.  After close inspection I found that the hinges themselves had worn, causing the door to drop.
I disassembled the hinges one at a time and added some shims.  Door works perfectly now.

Thanks.  I need to go to where its stored for the winter and see whats up.  I was thinking of taking off the whole door, unscrewing the frame and just resetting it.. hopefully that works.

I didn't raise mine much, probably 3/16".  I used some small flat washers, removed the door pins(one at a time), raised the door and put the washers in the gap and reinserted the pin.
If I'd tried to reset the whole door, I think the new screw holes would have been too close to the old ones to hold for long.

If hinges are worn ... probably ... using E clip washers you can put them on without having to remove door.  Just lever or carefully jack door up slightly and insert on bottom of hinge shaft.

Like these

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-300-Pcs-External-Retaining-Assortment/dp/B079B9X3KC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2M0LR2I62VJB4&keywords=e+clips&qid=1553967398&s=gateway&sprefix=e+clip%2Caps%2C248&sr=8-3,

except get the size you need at a hardware store ... ACE, Menards, etc.

Howard

Howard R said:
If hinges are worn ... probably ... using E clip washers you can put them on without having to remove door.  Just lever or carefully jack door up slightly and insert on bottom of hinge shaft.

Like these

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-300-Pcs-External-Retaining-Assortment/dp/B079B9X3KC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2M0LR2I62VJB4&keywords=e+clips&qid=1553967398&s=gateway&sprefix=e+clip%2Caps%2C248&sr=8-3,

except get the size you need at a hardware store ... ACE, Menards, etc.

Howard

Dude, that's a good idea.  Where were you when I was taking my hinges apart.  Ah well, next time.

Hmm, I really need to look at my door again.. I feel like the frame is not properly straight anymore or the stuff inside of is has angled down a bit making it hard to properly close by having overlapping space where the lock section is.  I prefer not to take the whole thing apart.  I was wondering the link of clips how they would help in my situation.

You won't know until you look and establish the way it was when new.. I repaired mine as Old Crow did by making my own "spacers" using washers the thickness I needed and slotting them with a hacksaw to resemble a "C: clip.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allen v
Back
Top Bottom