99 adventure cargo door latches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvlonglegs

I have looked through the site and found some info of replacement of the cargo door latches (slide bolt) but what I have read on how to replace are not like mine. Mine for some reason, the slide bolt is inside the enclosed frame. I tried to replace one some time ago, which didn't go well and ended up cutting the panel to get it out and new one installed. I did get the panel repaired by going to Lowes and buying one of those strips you use in the bath room when installing two panels together...brain dead...can't think of what its called..but anyhow there has to be a better way! My doors have the foam insulation in them. If anyone has changed theirs on this model coach please share info. Only thing I can figure out is to tear the end of the frames off, if possible. I hated cutting panel last time!!

yes there are some extra rivets on the side frames and bottom frame. I went back out and looked but not sure if I drill them out that it will come apart so was hoping someone else may have tried it before I make another mistake.

ok, after several trips back and forth to the garage, and checking for any response, this is what I have discovered. 1) I am not the only one who ever replaced one of these latches and ended up cutting the inside panel to install the new latch. During close examination...guess if no problem with a door that latches worked on, just never paid any attention....discovered 2 doors previous owner cut the panels to install some new latches. Have to admit that my installation end results looked better than theirs (not bragging cause still don't believe that is correct way to do). 2) found a parts list and picture of the cargo doors from Winnebago site...and several more trips to garage...I see the bottom strip (they called it a rocker panel/extrusion-item #12) comes off. I went back to the garage again and confirmed that it is riveted on. So I thought good, just drill out the rivets from each side, remove the back cover on latch and I could slide the panel out and get to the latches and all the components. No, not that easy...discovered that rocker panel is also riveted from the exterior (painted side) and also held on by some black type sealant. Don't know if I can get it off even if I drilled out the nicely painted rivet on exterior side or if I'd bend it all up due to sealant. Lets say that if everything went well up till that point...then comes the part to slide out the panel. That's if the exterior panel and interior panel aren't glued (sandwiched) to the Styrofoam filled doors! CRAP!! Darn if you do, Darn if you don't! Cutting the panel is looking better all the time! At least no one would see it but me.....Way to go Winnebago....no wonder they changed them on the newer models! Please if someone has a better idea or if I am totally out in left field on this, don't worry about hurting my feelings by setting me straight.
If I get a chance tomorrow I am going to try one more thing. I will remove the back cover off the latch handle and see if I can pull or bow the panel...at least I would know weather it's glued or not....and if not, maybe with some maneuvering and bowing can pop the panel out?? Won't know till I try. Keeping my fingers crossed! Apologize for such long post!

You should be able to do it from theactuator  cover that is held with screws. Remove the cover, drill out the pop rivets holding the latch. You should attach a string to the rod where you disconnect it from actuator. Then pull latch out. Replace with new latch and pull back on string while inserting the latch. Then pop rivet the latch.

Thanks for the response John but mine are made different! I wish it was that simple. My latch sits inside the frame. I can remove the actuator cover and drill out rivets on the ends of the latch but mine has to be pulled back to the actuator hole to be removed. Problem is Styrofoam is sandwiched between the inner and outer panels. In which the only cut Styrofoam is for the rod....not enough Styrofoam removed to allow you to slide out the latch. Very bad design! The only thing that sticks out of the frame on mine is the little plastic type plunger. Everything else is inside of the door frame sealed up. I also rechecked and panels are glued to the Styrofoam..so not able to pull or bow panel to try and remove.

Well the cargo door latches are all installed except for 3 that still worked. Had to cut them out. Mine install from the inside of panel and door is Styrofoam filled. I cut a hole about 1" back from the frame just big enough to get the old latch out and new one installed. Bought a piece of fiberglass panel at lowes to cut patches out of. Really didn't want to do it that way but couldn't figure out another way. Any how they all work now! Put the other 3 new latches and extra patches in a box to keep and install when the other 3 no longer work. Atleast now if one I just replaced goes bad it will only take about 5 minutes to change! Meanwhile my list of things to do continues to grow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom