A BIG Saguaro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Last week we were out running around the desert in the Jeep and I came across the biggest Saguaro cactus I have ever seen. This old fellow must be a couple of hundred years old, at least.

Attachments

• _CSP4988.jpg
    _CSP4988.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 106
Does anyone remember the huge Saguaro on the west edge of Quartzsite? I believe it was reported to have 47 arms. It was not a very attractive Saguaro with many woodpecker holes and other damage. It died about 10 years ago. While it was still living, it was often mentioned in Quartzsite attraction literature. Here is a photo of the 47-armed Saguaro.

R

Here's a photo with two ladies, that some of you may recognize, in it for perspective.

Attachments

• 47 Arm Saguaro Sam & Ann (Copy).jpg
    47 Arm Saguaro Sam & Ann (Copy).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 64
Don't know if it is true, but was told that Saguaros get to about 70 years old before getting arms.

fredethomas said:
Remember that well.  Think many of us caught that in the early '90's??

My picture was taken in 1/2001, probably our first visit to the cactus.

Lowell said:
Don't know if it is true, but was told that Saguaros get to about 70 years old before getting arms.

They grow their first arms at 75-100 years of age.  Some never grow any arms at all.

OK, you guys made me remember I had some photos of that Quartzite Saguaro. Still think the one I found is more photogenic. The ladies are Donna Ruward and DW, Laurie. Taken in 2003.

Attachments

• DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 33
When I went to U of A for grad school, I fell in love with them. I always wanted to ask them what they've seen, experienced, or listened to....a wealth of history for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom