A/C keeps freezing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aterry

My A/C has frozen up twice today. This is a brand new camper, but I went ahead and checked the filter anyways. (It's clean.) I've always ran it with the fan on High. It got up to about 90 degrees outside today, which isn't the hotest we've camped in. It did it a few minutes ago again, and it's probably only 75 outside. Both times I've turned the A/C off and left the fan on. About 10 minutes after I do that ice will fall from the unit all over the floor so I know it's obviously frozen. I dont think it's clogged b/c I still see water dripping off the camper. I did a search for this thinking someone else out there has had this happen, but didnt find anything. Anybody have any suggestions?

Ok - update.....just as I was typing my original message it starts blowing full blast again. No ice fell from the unit. The fan has been on high the whole time. I'm confused.  :-\

Usually in that scenario restricted air flow over the condenser is the problem. If you are running the fan on high should eliminate that problem. Have you checked the cooling fins on the roof for any debris obstructing the air flow?  You may need to remove the cowling on the roof and flush the fins with a spray of water.  If that doesn't do it, you may have a freon issue. It may be time for a tech to check it out. 

No, I haven't removed the cowling yet. I will check that first thing in the morning. It's finally cool enough now we wont need it until tomorrow.

Many air conditioners have a freeze sensor.. This is a tube stuck into the evaporator (Cold) coils inside the unit, often visible if you remove the filters.. If this is not in it's proper place this can happen.

However, Since you said this is a brand new trailer.. I'd think that "Somebody else's problem" applies here.. (The dealer, it's under warranty) and thus you have my recommendation..

Make sure you ask the dealer's A/C technician what was wrong by the way. That is one way to learn.

I had my own A/C issues today.. First last night I heard water gurgling in the dang thing again, it was cool enough I switched to FAN mode and let it dry itself out.. Then today the blasted circuit breaker goes trip on me.. Tried a few things and it kept tripping. So back to the old trouble shoot mode.

Step one.. Check the wires feeding it.. Wires at breaker appeared good, checked as good, re-did the connection anyway. Tripped faster.. Acted like a dead short in fact.

Went outside and disconnected the break out plug I use when I'm on 30 amps, Came back in and opened the J-Box where the Break out system connects to the factory wire.. AH..

Wire nut came loose, connection failed, insulation melted, dead short...

Cut the wires back a couple inches to good wire.. Re-did it, better this time. Working fine now.. OH, and rasied the front of the rig an inch to "encourage" the water to go where it is supposed to go. (Did that BEFORE the breaker blew)

Just a thought - or 2.
I wonder if some insulation from the MFG guys got loose and is plugging the evaporator air flow?  Like mentioned above, freezing is mostly caused by the air not exchanging enough heat in the evaporator to keep the fins (and therefore the water on them from condensation) from dropping below freezing.  Like to see the fins no cooler than say 38 or so. 

Second cause is low freon.  Suction pressure drops too low, so freon boils too fast - temps drop so interior warm cold air can't keep evaporator above freezing - BAM - ice.

I would think either scenario is warranted stuff.

johncmr

Be careful...
This is a brand new camper.  Don't do anything that would make the dealer blame it on you.

This a new camper, right?  Let the dealer take care of it!  That's what you paid for!

Did misunderstand something?

I let the fan run all night Saturday night, then got up Sunday morning and checked the filters again, then took the cowling off but still didn't see anything that I thought looked funny. I am by no means a A/C expert so there's a possibility I missed something. Long story short, it did fine all day Sunday. Later that evening my wife mentioned she had turned the fan on LOW for a little while......I think that was probably my problem and it took all night Saturday night to completely thaw. Darn women!!!  j/k

It should not freeze up on low. You have a temporary workaround. Get it in to the dealer soon to have it dealt with UNDER WARANTEE since it is a new unit as you said. Not dealing with it according to the terms of the warantee could void it and cost a lot.

If an AC is low on refrigerant, it will tend to freeze up more, too. Since it's new, I would let the dealer worry about it.

yfx4 said:
It should not freeze up on low. You have a temporary workaround. Get it in to the dealer soon to have it dealt with UNDER WARANTEE since it is a new unit as you said. Not dealing with it according to the terms of the warantee could void it and cost a lot.

The last 2 campers I have bought the dealers told me never to put it on LOW. I always thought that was a little funny that I wasn't supposed to do it, but yet I had a switch for it.

I agree with aterry.  A properly operating AC unit would not "care" if the fan speed is on high or low.

Unless there is something I am unaware of, and depending on ambient temperature, the unit should work fine on low fan speed.

And don't forget that a very large aspect of AC is the removal of moisture from the interior air condition.  Maybe the days the AC worked ok were days of low humidity and the unit was not stressed as much.

Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.  It's under warranty, right?

denmarc said:
I agree with aterry.  A properly operating AC unit would not "care" if the fan speed is on high or low.

Unless there is something I am unaware of, and depending on ambient temperature, the unit should work fine on low fan speed.

And don't forget that a very large aspect of AC is the removal of moisture from the interior air condition.  Maybe the days the AC worked ok were days of low humidity and the unit was not stressed as much.

Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.  It's under warranty, right?

Yep, its under warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom