A couple of issues with our 2004 Journey 39K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_dragon

Hi all

I have a couple of problems that I could do with some help on.

Firstly, the electrical outlets for the fridge outside and the nearest one on the inside at the dining table are not working. All the others are fine. I checked the breakers and they are fine.

Secondly, I have a water leak from the dump valve of the freshwater tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a replacement with fast shipping.

Lastly, the MH has started overheating. I have regularly driven it in 100+F temps but it has just started doing this. We replaced the coolant tank which was falling apart and it's headed back to Catepillar for a look but I was curious as to whether anyone else has had the same issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards

Simon

Check for a GFCI either on an outlet or in the main panel.

On your overheating, I assume this is a rear radiator and they are known for getting dirty which causes reduced cooling efficiency.

Since the circuits are close together that are not working, try looking for a popped GFI on one of the plugs in the area.

The overheating, like Ken said may be a dirty radiator. Try getting some cleaner like Simple Green and spray both sides of the radiator as much as you can reach from each side and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes. Then with a power nozzle on a hose, thoroughly wash both sides of the radiator until the water runs clear.  If it is real dirty, it may take a second spray.

And on the water valve, are we talking the blade type valve that you would see on the black and grey tank dump valves?  You could pick one up on Amazon.com and shipping would be however fast you were willing to pay for. 

For that dump valve on the FRESH WATER tank, try any local hardware store. About the fastest shipping you will find anywhere. (Might consider taking the old one with you!!)

Unless there is something different about this one (like being hidden and needing a cable to operate) this should work.

Simon,
Gary may be on to something with the inverter CB.

I have not crawled under my 39K to look  at the freshwater dump valve, but imagine it is not unique to the 39K. It is controlled by a cable, so it may have some special arm that the cable connects to. That might be something that is mounted to a normal ball valve that is  readily available. I would suggest crawling under there  and getting a picture, if not actually removing the valve, so you can get a better idea of what you are up against.  Lichtsinn Motors (800-343-6255) has gotten things to me quickly, so if it looks like this is a special item give them a call Monday. (I assume you have tried quickly recycling the valve several times in case there is just a little debris holding it open a bit)

What have you done to maintain the cooling system since you purchased the unit? The radiator cleaning that others have mentioned is important, particularly if the breather tube has never been extended aft of the radiator. As built, the breather tube would blow oil laden vapor into the fan air stream. The oil quickly captures dust and dirt in the fins of the CAC and radiator greatly reducing the the effectiveness of both coolers. There has been confusion on the oil capacity of the C7 and your dipstick may be in need of calibration. If over filled the engine will kick out the excess through the breather compounding the issue of where it was located by the factory.

If you are familiar with these radiator issues and know that  this is not contributing to the problem, then I would next look at the thermostats. There are two, and CAT says to change them every three years. They do fail, so if you have not changed them during your ownership and do not have records from a previous  owner saying that they were changed I would do so.

I hope this has been of some help and not rehashing things you already know. Good luck.

Be sure to let us know what the final resolution is once you get things sorted out. That will help us when it is our turn to have the problem.

Back
Top Bottom