A day in the life of a full-timer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always say I'm going to save something and put it on EBAY..but then I never do.  Three times we have thoroughly cleaned out accumulated junk before moving and each time we accumulate everything back.  Our vice is hobbies and we collect stuff that we are eventually going to need or do something with but never do so it just keeps adding..oh well when we are gone the kids can deal with it all.  .tim

Ned,

Finding somebody to handle your garage sale is a great idea but I have a serious problem. My wife does that for other people! She's a former antiques and collectibles dealer and has been handling estate and yard sales for several years. She's very good at it but it kills her to lose money when selling her own stuff. I explain that she got every penny's worth from her own use and/or appreciation of an item and any money at all is frosting. She understands but still has trouble with the kind of bargains yard-sale buyers come to expect.

I've also tried establishing a rule: for every new item we buy, two things get tossed out. That doesn't work very well, either.  :D

Dave

All the more reason to hire someone else to do the sale :)  She understands the emotional problems of doing it yourself.

carson said:
... I have an original "Family Tree" document dating back to the 1600's, what do I do with that? (A library suitable is on the other side of the planet).
Put it upon the web so that others can enjoy the information. I can help you with that if you want to know more, See me in another thread ;)

Thanks, Ian

No, I don't think I want to expose that to the World. My ego is way too small.
I will find a home for it somehow where it can't be abused.

After all, all entries are long deceased. The newer generation is now fragmented and I don't know where they are.

Thanks for the offer, Ian.

carson FL

I've also tried establishing a rule: for every new item we buy, two things get tossed out.

A friend and forum member decided to full time on his boat before he changed that to half time on his boat and half time in his motorhome. He has no problem parting with stuff, but his wife has a tougher time. He knew there would be insufficient room for all her clothes, so he rented a dumpster and promised she'd get one new item for every two she threw out. Three weeks later the dumpster was still empty.

Chris is very much like our friend - little attachment to stuff; If she doesn't have a need for something, it's in the garbage or one of the charity stores that same day. I OTOH have a tough time parting with anything.

When we left the UK, having disposed of (almost) everything, there was stuff I just had to bring to California. I packed several large boxes and had our shipping department send them off by surface. Six weeks later I had a call from the freight forwarder at San Francisco saying that my boxes had arrived, and I drove over there to clear US Customs and retrieve my prize possessions. 15 years and three houses later I still hadn't opened any of the boxes  :-[

OTOH it's now almost 30 years later and I'm glad I kept some of those things.

Cricketdaddy said:
Many of us still live in stick houses and drag our tired butts to jobs that have lost their glitter. We dream of fulltiming in our MHs or TTs. But on the edge of the dream, for some of us at least, is a concern that we might grow bored with the gypsy lifestyle or just have trouble finding ways to fill our days.

I'm sure many of us would be fascinated to know how you full-timers spend a typical day. Will you share?

We spend the summer in Buena Vista, CO. Every morning, weather permitting, Jack gets out of the coach to go fishing. This is usually about 6 AM. I go back to sleep for a while. Today, I fixed the bed, washed up and got dressed, usual stuff. I made sure that Oreo, our cat, had food and water. I cooked a big pot of chili and sliced up about 2 quarts of strawberries. That will be for future meals. Just heat and eat!!  We are going to drive up the highway to the Clear Creek Reservoir road and go on up the ways to the 2 ghost towns Vicksburg and Winfield. We may run into a snow bank OR a mud hole. We'll see.

We have to do laundry, shop for food, go to the library, visit with other fulltimers here in the rv park, and do some sightseeing. Jack can go down to the Chaffee County shooting and archery ranges.

BUT the best thing is that we DON"T HAVE to get up and be anywhere!! We're retired.. :D    :D

Regards,
Jack and Liz

Jackliz said:
Margi,
DITTO, DITTO, AND DITTO!!!    :D

Wahl, thank ya, Maam!  :D  Glad to hear you and Jackson are enjoying the retirement years ya'll waited for so eagerly.  Will Cole be joining his Grandpa again to fish this summer?  Here we are in Oregon, a fisherman's (and fisherwoman's) paradise, and haven't even wet a line.  Got to do something about that soon.  :D

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
Wahl, thank ya, Maam!  :D  Glad to hear you and Jackson are enjoying the retirement years ya'll waited for so eagerly.  Will Cole be joining his Grandpa again to fish this summer? .................................................  :D

Margi

Yes, we are hoping that Cole will be coming up here. We'll see.

Take care,
Liz

Back
Top Bottom