A&E Sunchaser awning agjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackshadow43

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a ? about my awning. I am trying to tighten the torsion spring in the tube so that it makes it easier to roll up. I have rotated the spring tube 4 revalutions clockwise. But now it won't unroll all the way out. Can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong?
                        Thanks
                              Randy

The torsion winding instructions from A&E for the Sunchaser instruct the use of a speed wrench on the end of the shaft rather than simply rotating the tube.

I have emailed a copy of the Sunchaser manual to you. It has detailed instructions for tensoning the awning.  Good luck!

I will check out the springs as soon as I can and see if one might be broke. This sounds like it might be the problem. The awning is very loose when I leave the tesion as it is and I don't like leaving so much open air space between layers for water to get it when it rains. I will post what I find later.
                    thanks
                      Randy

Well I went out tonight a unwound the 4 turns I put on the springs ( started with just 2 still would not roll all the way out) and now it rolls out just fine. But trying to get it to roll back up is all I can do to start it. Do you really think it is a broke spring? I am trying to do this by myself and don't won't to have to take the spring out until I can find some help in doing so. I will have to order new ones before going thru all that mess if you think that might be the trouble. What do you think?

I think there is a good chance you have a broken spring, but that does not explain why the tensioning you have tried stops it from rolling out completely.  Doesn't make any sense to me.  However, I've only worked on the A&E 8500 and 9000 series, never a Sunchaser/8300.  Don't really know what they look like inside, so hard to guess what may be going wrong.

Well Gary I have an update for you,  you was right, new springs and all is well now. I ordered them yesterday and they got here today so I spent the last 2 hrs replacing them. I had a time getting the cap on the front end lined up right so that when it was rolled up the lever was in the right place. Took 3 different times to get it right. Thanks for your help in this matter and I hope this thread helps someone else having or going to have the same problem.
                                Again thanks to all who helped
                                      Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom