A few newb ?'s / new blog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turtleglass

Ok so WE have been full timing it for almost four months now. Our rig is a 2000 funmover class c toy hauler.  Its got a generator and the back tail gate drops open to roll toys in and out, its on a winch.    We kinda threw our selves into this and have been having a blast so far but I feel very new to all this most times. One flat tire, the door locked and wouldn't come unlocked,  found out I had no way to check air pressure on back dual tires so Just a few minor problems thus far that all where simple fixes. But we have had one problem since we got the RV in sept that I cant fix. Our fresh water smells like rotten eggs, so we cant use shower or sinks for anything, and its starting to get real annoying. I tried to do a system flush  with bleach but that didn't work. I'm considering stopping at a RV place to have it fixed if I cant figure it out :(     

Also I was wondering what kind of service I need to do other than oil changes for the engine on my rig. Does the generator need serviced, how often do I grease wench cable, is there any thing I can mess up by not servicing it that I don't know about. Please lend a young new rv'er some wisdom :)

We are in Arizona @ our first RV park, enjoying our time to ourselves but we like staying with friends and have been lucky thus far to do that mostly. We are working our way to SoCal to see my sister then up the coast :)  Loving RV life  ~JR

We never had the bad water smell but I've read that it can be caused by your water heater. Maybe somebody else knows the specifics.

Try using the Search function and check the Library here...I recall reading several things about the smell when we first started and were trying to sanitize the fresh water tank, but we have never had that particular issue.

There is  a bacteria that thrives in warm dark water, i.e. the water heater tank. A good sanitizing with bleach is the answer, but you need to pump it through the heater tank and let it sit for several hours. See the Sanitizing procedure in the forum Library
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110&Itemid=45

If'n I remembers right when, me and Nilda was in Arizona a few years back, there was several campgrounds we stayed at where the water smelt like rotten eggs. Maybe the campground water is whats givin' ya the troble.

That makes sense about water heater, I will try that.  Its for sure not the water, its like that everywhere. We have never used the hot water heater so will be good time to figure it out.    Does anyone know about servicing my generator, or what else needs service on the RV and how often. thanks for your time :)

The generator needs an annual oil change or every 150 hours, which ever comes forst. Same for  spark plugs if  gas or KP powered. Air filter needs changing according to running hours (probably every 150 hours), but check it annually and knock out any accumulated dirt, leaves, etc. Fuel filter gets changed every 450 hours of use.  And there is a spark arrester that should be cleaned at least annually too.  There should be maintenance instructions in the genset owner manual, and you can get one online if you don't have it. Is it an Onan, a Generac, or ???

Get Onan manuals here:
http://www.cumminsonan.com/manuals

Gary thanks so much :) You are so Kind !  The generator is an Onan :)  so great link. Thanks for your time. I'm trying to get some reading done when Im not working, in the library section that I just realized existed, lol silly me. Seems to be alot of info in there, but nothing compares to good comments/tips strait from another person living this life.  Thanks yall :)

also on the rotten egg smell issue, We have it with all water not hot water. We have never actually used hot water yet so just wanna check with yall and see if there could be some other issue causing the smell or if its for sure hot water heater related.  Seen this in the library and is what made me think of this question.  It snowed yesterday in Williams, Arizona :( bummer because it was so cold but it was pretty. Going south so hope to work on this issue when it warms up.  I'm sure a good flush of heater and water system should do the trick I hope.  Loving this forum and all the great info. We really love Living on the Road in our RV and plan on doing this for a long time, so I'm glad this place exists.

Rotten egg smell
|  |
Does your hot water smell like rotten eggs? This is a subject that has come up a number of times in the RV Forum. Fortunately, the fix is relatively simple and virtually free. The following advice is offered by forum staff member Gary Brinck.

There's a bacteria that thrives in warm, dark, humid places and gives off a rotten egg smell (actually it's sulfur). It's not uncommon when a rig sits a while without being used.

The cure is to flush the tank a couple times. Also, super-chlorinate the system following this water system sanitizing procedure.

Regular flushing of the hot water tank will help prevent it from happening again.
< Prev   Next >

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwinStater
Back
Top Bottom