A few questions for the pros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewCamperguy

Hi gang
I am aware these may be some receptive questions,  so I will ask a few and  research the rest in the search function, if there is one?  Thank you!

I am getting a camper hopefully this weekend. I narrowed it down to a used 1998 Dutchman. This trailer is going to be used for Motocross racing and maybe a few Nascar events. Since I will be staying in places with no hookups, I am going to need a generator. I have been looking at the RV Champion generators, they seem to be a half decent generator for the money. I know Honda and Yamaha build the best, but I just do not feel like spending that kind of money on something I will only use for a night or two for a few months. I think 4000 Watts should be plenty, I have been looking at one with 30 amps and 4800 watts with 5000 peak watts. Now my question is, if I buy a generator, do I just plug it in to the trailer and I have instant power? or do I need to do thing before I can add a generator? I also need to know what the difference is with the inverter generators?  I also need to know what size hitchball a 1998 Dutchman requires. It would really be a drag to show up with a 2" ball and it requires a 2" 3/8's!! and now I cannot get it home. I am really new to all this and I am looking forward to getting this camper! It is going to be nice to have a home away from home! Thanks for any help!

Actually you plug the trailer into the generator. The trailer is just another 110 volt load like a drill or a toaster. There should be no problem.

Hitch ball, Bring a couple with you, or call the seller and ask. 

Gen, the big difference is the low priced gensets are loud.  The Honda and Yamaha will adjust their rpm based on load.  At full speed a lot quieter than the Generacs, and all those open frame gen's.  The triler will have a 30 amp power cable, best bet is if the gen has a 30 amp outlet, but also check to see if it is a 120v outlet.  If it were designed to be used with a welder or something it may be 240v at 30 amps.

Noise?  I guess if at motocross and or NASCAR, might not be an issue.  Then again, at 8PM it may be.  From what I have seen those venues are pretty crowded.

Inverter type generators rectify the ac voltage produced by the generator into dc voltage then use an inverter to convert the dc back to 60 Hz ac. This allows the generator to run at whatever speed is required for the power it needs to supply. This is more fuel efficient and is quieter when less power is being supplied
Edit: Removed very small font size selected.

The messages posted, but had a very small font size selected.

BTW I removed the duplicates.

Champion builds a number of different genertors.. Some of them are inverter generators like the HONDA EU-xxxxi or the Yamaha EF-xxxxi units,  Though I have never heard one of them in operation theory has it that they compete with the Honda and Yahama for sound level and such.  I have heard ONE serious complaint.. Which, considering the number of users who post in the forums I read is basiclly nothing and can be ignored.

They also make open frame "Contractor" type generators,  These should be shipped with a complementary box of ear plugs.  Also "Contractor" type generators re as noisy electronically as they are physiclly... I've seen some very scary scope traces of their output.

Thus the advice is "Go with an inverter model" 

OF the three I have heard

Honda, very nice and quite, I am able to carry on a conservation in normal tones with a EU-2000i, on the other side of a sheet of plywood from me.  I could hear it running but it was not at all loud.

Yahama, per the spec sheet, even quieter (1db, not really noticable) I have heard both a 1200 and a 2400 running in a crowd situtation (RV Rally) I could hear the 2400 if I listened very carefully (This was no load) Even I could not hear the 1200.. NOTE that the with all these generators, the model number is peak watts, or peak volt-amps, Long term they don't put out that much (A 1200 is about 1000 continous)

I've also heard a KIPOR.. though the sound level as metered woudl have been about the same as teh Honda or Yahama, the sound was far more annoying.

When the sales man at the Yahama booth started applying loads

Half load, the 2400 was easily heard, but still not all that loud
Full load.. NOW iwe had to raise our voices.

Somewhere in the recesses of my "pea brain", I also thought that the inverter/generators were better for computers.  So if you plan to use your computer while plugged into the generator an inverter/generator might be a better choice. 

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Somewhere in the recesses of my "pea brain", I also thought that the inverter/generators were better for computers.  So if you plan to use your computer while plugged into the generator an inverter/generator might be a better choice. 

Marsha~

Probably the other way round.
Generators like the Onan's produce a pure sine wave. Inverter types may or may not produce  a pure one.
The good ones like Hondas do produce good sine waves but I have seen posts indicating that there is some crossover distortion under load on some of them.

Thanks for all the great reply's. I found this generator and it seems to be the best fit for me right now. 40 amps and is said to be quiet along with plenty of power? http://www.adventurerv.net/lifan-power-portable-inverter-generator-energy-storm-5500w-p-22883.html

As far as a hitch, I wrote to Dutchman and they said it is a 2" 1/8" ball? The only problem is that I cannot find one? I did call the seller and she has no idea. This is a seasonal trailer. It also sounds like a divorce trailer. I have called several adds for trailers and most all of them are from divorced women LOL!

The Onan Quiet Diesel generators are inverter generators and they produce an excellent sine wave output.

John From Detroit said:
Champion builds a number of different genertors.. Some of them are inverter generators like the HONDA EU-xxxxi or the Yamaha EF-xxxxi units,  Though I have never heard one of them in operation theory has it that they compete with the Honda and Yahama for sound level and such.  I have heard ONE serious complaint.. Which, considering the number of users who post in the forums I read is basiclly nothing and can be ignored.

They also make open frame "Contractor" type generators,  These should be shipped with a complementary box of ear plugs.  Also "Contractor" type generators re as noisy electronically as they are physiclly... I've seen some very scary scope traces of their output.

Thus the advice is "Go with an inverter model" 

OF the three I have heard

Honda, very nice and quite, I am able to carry on a conservation in normal tones with a EU-2000i, on the other side of a sheet of plywood from me.  I could hear it running but it was not at all loud.

Yahama, per the spec sheet, even quieter (1db, not really noticable) I have heard both a 1200 and a 2400 running in a crowd situtation (RV Rally) I could hear the 2400 if I listened very carefully (This was no load) Even I could not hear the 1200.. NOTE that the with all these generators, the model number is peak watts, or peak volt-amps, Long term they don't put out that much (A 1200 is about 1000 continous)

I've also heard a KIPOR.. though the sound level as metered woudl have been about the same as teh Honda or Yahama, the sound was far more annoying.

When the sales man at the Yahama booth started applying loads

Half load, the 2400 was easily heard, but still not all that loud
Full load.. NOW iwe had to raise our voices.
I have looked at two cheaper inverters and one is the Kippor and the other the Champion. The Kippor is rated at 3000 running watts and the Champion is rated at 2000 running watts. Both seem to not have enough power, I would prefer to have at least 3500 watts.

Boliy is another inexpensive brand of inverter generator. Honeywell is also marketing one under their brand name.

Boliy had problems initially,but more recent reports indicate they are ok now.

So I just contacted the seller and she has no idea what the hitch ball size is? I contacted Dutchman and they said 2" 1/8"? That just does not sound right? I cannot even find a 2" 1/8" I went to a few stores today and nothing.  Will a 2" ball still work?

NewCamperguy said:
So I just contacted the seller and she has no idea what the hitch ball size is? I contacted Dutchman and they said 2" 1/8"? That just does not sound right? I cannot even find a 2" 1/8" I went to a few stores today and nothing.  Will a 2" ball still work?
Weird.  Sounds like they may have given you the inside diameter of the hitch ball socket and not the size ball that fits it.  Are you sure you specified "What size Ball does it take?"

Well I bought a Champion 3000Watt (3500) peak at Lowes tonight! I would have rather have had the 3500 (4000) peak, but this is all they had. I have been looking at generators for a week now and I am going nuts trying to figure out which one will be best. I have read allot of positive feedback on the Champion and one of my fellow campers just bought the same one and he said it is great!. Most of the one's I liked online were backed ordered and some were coming with anywhere from $80 to $170 just for shipping! I need it by Friday and most were not going to ship till the 16th. My plan now is to tryout the Champion for now and eventually make it a back up. I would like to get a little bigger generator and also an inverter type. I am going to look into the Honda/Yamaha's along with some of the cheaper brands. I am going camping Friday through Sunday next week so I will report back how the Champion fairs on the trip! It is a little cool here yet for A/C, so this should be plenty of power for all the other necessities of a camper! For $329, if you get a year out of it or a few camping trips, then I will be happy.

Will be interested to see what you and neighbors think of the noise level, and what your TV thinks of the electrical noise. 

PancakeBill said:
Will be interested to see what you and neighbors think of the noise level, and what your TV thinks of the electrical noise.
It is very a very quiet unit and I will be camping among friends. We race motocross and we just set up in the feilds/parking areas and try to spread out. Everyone is running loud generators, we are gear heads and it will not be a big deal. I also will not be watching TV, I may put on DVD's for my little one, but for the most part, I am there to camp and build a fire and sit up all night with friends enjoying our time together. But I would like to say thanks for your input, you comments were very helpful.

PS, If was really into camping, I would buy the best of the best, I just need a camper for a night every two weeks during race season, I have been staying in hotels the past couple of years and would like to just stay at the tracks. I have plans to get a fifth wheel toy hauler down the road if I enjoy this. So again thanks for you kind comments!

Don't mean to hijack this thread...but I am. ;D

I am a contractor and planned on using one of my jobsite generators when I needed it.  It's loud but I don't plan on using it much.  You guys were talking about dirty electricity, would my Coleman Progen 5000 not be a wise choice to power the trailer?

I don't want to ruin a computer or Television. 

EDIT:

I checked out the specs on the generator and it only provides 20 amps.  Is that enough to run the A/C and maybe the tv or other accessory?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom