A few questions for the pros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lone_star_dsl said:
Don't mean to hijack this thread...but I am. ;D

I am a contractor and planned on using one of my jobsite generators when I needed it.  It's loud but I don't plan on using it much.  You guys were talking about dirty electricity, would my Coleman Progen 5000 not be a wise choice to power the trailer?

I don't want to ruin a computer or Television. 

EDIT:

I checked out the specs on the generator and it only provides 20 amps.  Is that enough to run the A/C and maybe the tv or other accessory?
From what I have been told, 30 amps for an RV, but the newer ones are 50 amp?

Ned said:
The Onan Quiet Diesel generators are inverter generators and they produce an excellent sine wave output.
I am eventually going to build a toy hauler from a company that builds them to your specs and one of the options is that you can get a propane  Onan generator. I will certainly be getting this!

lone_star_dsl said:
Don't mean to hijack this thread...but I am. ;D

I am a contractor and planned on using one of my jobsite generators when I needed it.  It's loud but I don't plan on using it much.  You guys were talking about dirty electricity, would my Coleman Progen 5000 not be a wise choice to power the trailer?

Generally I'd be leery of Coleman generators, Coleman used to make good products, but they have NEVER made generators and still do not... They just licensed the name.  However a 50000 might be big enough

The only way to be sure is to scope it out,  Some years ago the ARRL did an article on portable generators.. Now some of them were not bad at all... Others were... nasty...  I do not think they tested a Coleman.

The danger is spikes.. Some of those portables had spikes hundreds of volts high. Many hundreds. that can take out televisoins and converters,,, likely will not damage an Air conditioner but if it does the part is likely less than 20 bucks.

Fridge... I do not know, water heater likely no damage.

gwcowgill said:
The 2 1/8" ball sioze makes me wonder if this isn't a park model trailer which would not be suitable for RV towing.
This was a typo of some sort from the company. The ball size is 2" 5/16" I towed it home. I ordered a brand new mount from Reese with the ball. It is all good now!

Marsha/CA said:
Somewhere in the recesses of my "pea brain", I also thought that the inverter/generators were better for computers.  So if you plan to use your computer while plugged into the generator an inverter/generator might be a better choice. 

Marsha~
Yeah I know there are better inverter generators, but for now this should be fine. All my friends have been using cheaper generators and they have no reported problems of anything being damaged by dirty electric! I took the next step and added surge protectors and a power filter for the TV and Playstation. My plans are to get a new TT in the next year or so and I plan fully on getting an ONAN generator built in. But for now, I have to get by with what I have and and hopefully everything plays out well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vrinda
Back
Top Bottom