A legitimate way of dumping grey water on the street

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if washing a car on the street is legal in your city, and your greywater is relatively clean(just some wash water), you can hook up your greywater tank and rinse your RV. No one would call cops on you, right?

There is a difference between "Gray" water and "Wash" water. Many RV's have 3 waste tanks. Black, Gray 1 and 2.. Often Gray 2 (sometimes it's 1) Is really a WASH tank.

Depending on the juristiction
Black: MUST always be discharged into a proper SANITARY sewer.
Gray.. In some (few) locations may be dumped into an open pit or in even less onto the ground. (Only a very limited number of places allow ground dumping)
WASH... Many places allow ground dumping (BUT NOT ALL)
So what is the difference between GRAY and Wash? The kitchen sink is Gray

So if washing a car on the street is legal in your city, and your greywater is relatively clean(just some wash water), you can hook up your greywater tank and rinse your RV. No one would call cops on you, right?
Some of the RV storage sites in San Jose have dump stations. They won't let you use them for a small fee? Check State campgrounds too. In our area (Orange County) those campgrounds offer dump facilities for small fees and some of them are free (although you need to pay admittance to the park).

The point is I can't find any place to dump wastewater in San Jose, CA. I can use a portable toilet and dump black tank to a public restroom, but for the number of grey waters( they can easily go 20-40 gallons a day), I can't really move it, the nearest dump station is 18 miles away at Redwood City, and it costs $25.

It would be helpful if I had a friend in the city who could let me drive by and run some hose to refill water and dump greywater a few times a month, but I do not have a friend :(
What could you be doing to generate 20-40G/day? I've never generated that much gray water when dry camping.

The point is I can't find any place to dump wastewater in San Jose, CA. I can use a portable toilet and dump black tank to a public restroom, but for the number of grey waters( they can easily go 20-40 gallons a day), I can't really move it, the nearest dump station is 18 miles away at Redwood City, and it costs $25.

It would be helpful if I had a friend in the city who could let me drive by and run some hose to refill water and dump greywater a few times a month, but I do not have a friend :(
Here are the results from a simple Google search for sani-dump near San Jose California. Please don't dump your bacteria laced effluent in a city that has enough problems.

RV dealerships often have dumps also. Or, call your local sanitation/water company as they may have them available to the public.

Map of RV Dump Stations | Find a Dump Station Near You

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.55.19 AM.png

I would not dump any significant amount of grey water on the ground or in the city drains.
Ok i kinda disagree, then again i avoid any foods with sugar to begin with and i don't really wash dishes in a camper sink. If it isn't grains or meat i compost, if it is it goes in the trash not down the grey drain. I have never had smelly grey water, if it does I'd consider that black/sewerage so you may as well not have two separate tanks.

When we moved to California we were surprised at the lack of dump stations. Most likely they are over regulated and that has caused a lack of places to dump. With the massive RV homeless population the waste is being dumped on city streets.

When we moved to California we were surprised at the lack of dump stations. Most likely they are over regulated and that has caused a lack of places to dump. With the massive RV homeless population the waste is being dumped on city streets.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. Another stupid law that causes the exact opposite effect of what is desired.

-Don- Yuma, AZ

I wonder why there aren't more dump stations. In Canada a great many towns and municipalities set up free dump stations that just connect into the sewer lines. A lot of times they are in industrial sections of town or near a public utilities yard but at least they are free. The town I live in has a free one with rinse water and potable to fill your fresh tank back up. I've even found them in the corners of malls on the highway to entice RVs to stop by and hopefully shop. We found a bunch of Wallmarts last summer that had them set up - free for anyone stopping in for groceries on their way through town. Compared to the massive volume the area sends to the treatment plant the RV volume is a drop in the bucket and it prevents wayside dumping. Is there some sort of law or ordinance that prevents this in the USA?
Surely you jest, ever been to America? In Texas we used to have what were called Blue Laws, you literally could not buy a balloon on Sunday, you know the kind with 20 in a bag that you blow up. You could buy regular chewing gum on Sunday but not bubble gum, no kidding. In Texas I can buy a gun and a fifth of Jim Beam at the 7-11 ( those go well together too), but to register a bass boat it took me two months, I had to swear an oath and produce documentation ( along with 17 other forms) that I was not a 67 year old white man in a Texas Ranger’s ball cap who'd converted to Islam and joined ISIS.

Sooo,,,why are youall responding to a 17 month old post that did not come to any conclusion when it was posted..>>>Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom