A little discouraged after reading the forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonnie_Rose

Ok, So I'm in the process of hunting for the right unit - I've settled on a WBO / Itasca Aspect or Cambria  or WBO/Itasca SunStar/Vista.  These seem to have a good reputation for quality and value.  I'm happy I have the Manufacturer selected, the models and floorplans.

I'm now just looking at the various forums picking up tips on the RV lifestyle.  However, it seems to me having read the WBO forums that no one seems happy with their units.  Is this true of any brand out there or just WBO?  I find little information on the units I'm interested in - I'd really like to talk to some one who owns them but can't seem to find anyone. <sigh> Now I'm a little discouraged . 

Thanks for "listening" to me, stay safe.

Bonnie

As with most things, the majority of happy owners never say anything, only the unhappy ones relate their problems.  Continue your comparisons and choose the model that best fits your criteria for floor plan and budget.  The odds are that you will have a happy experience.  But most new RVs will have some number of items that need fixing right from the factory or dealer.  It's just a fact of the business but nothing to worry about.

Hi Bonnie,

Welcome to the Forum. 

One thing you have to be conscious of when reading on forums, you generally hear more people either complaining about their problems with their units or trying to get help solving a problem.  Very rarely will you see someone start a new thread just to say how happy they are with their unit.

It's still good to check what some of the common problems are though.  Checking reviews if there are some on the models your are interested in is a good idea. 

You might want to try on the Winnebago forum asking for feedback on those 2 specific models, you might be able to get feedback from current owners, not just the ones that reported problems.

Marc...

Hi Bonnie,

Welcome to the RV Forum and our wonderful lifestyle!  Please don't be discouraged.  We've been motorhoming for 35 years and are on our fifth motorhome.  We've loved every single one of them - which is why we've kept each one for such a long time.  Just like every other product ever manufactured, there are bound to be some problems, including the occasional lemon.  If you do your homework and choose wisely you'll be as troublefree and happy with your RV as the majority of us.  Just keep in mind, this unit you're buying is both a motor vehicle and a house on wheels so you have to take care of both of them.  For example, when we get home from a long trip and I do a major cleaning, I check for such things as loose screws caused by vibrations going down the road.  It's a simple thing, but keeping up with such maintenance is key to having a troublefree trip.  It also will enhance your enjoyment if you accept the fact that nothing is perfect and keep in mind that some people on some forums just like to complain.  You won't hear from most of us because we're happy with our RVs.

ArdraF

Bonnie_Rose said:
I'm now just looking at the various forums picking up tips on the RV lifestyle.  However, it seems to me having read the WBO forums that no one seems happy with their units.  Is this true of any brand out there or just WBO?

Bonnie,

The RV industry as a whole has a quality problem.  This has been discussed at length here and at most other RV-related forums around the internet, and at more than a few campfires.  In my opinion and experience there is little variation in build quality among manufacturers.  Through the lens of history we can see that some materials and design choices are better than others.

As to whether you should be discouraged by this, it depends on your expectations and mechanical abilities.  People who are not mechanically inclined and who expect the sort of fit, finish, and reliability that new cars now have often become disappointed RV buyers.

Much depends on the dealer from whom you purchase as the very best dealers perform a more thorough pre-delivery inspection and resolve numerous minor problems before the customer sees the RV.  The very best dealers also offer good warranty service and serve as advocates on their customers' behalf when dealing with the factory.

We have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer that we're very happy with. Mechanically, we've had no problems. The upholstery is the pits and is falling apart but the model we have was designed as a weekender and we spend 7-8 months a year in it so it's not surprising that the upholstery didn't hold up. I believe that Winnebago/Itasca now uses higher quality on the furniture that holds up better.

Wendy

Bonnie:
  I hope to take away some of your disappointment.  I owned a 1987 Winnebago Class C Minnie Winnie from 1995 until 2011.  We were the 3rd owner.  In the 16 years, I barely had any issues at all, just minor stuff.  When we finally traded it in, all the appliances still worked perfectly, refer, water heater, roof air, microwave, etc.  No tank leaks.  My tank sensors even still read the full to empty levels correctly.  That is almost unheard of on this forum.  I had just started to develop my one and only roof leak above the cab over bed.  I think it would not have been a major deal, but we traded it in instead.  We now own a 34' Class A Winnebago Journey.  We are the 2nd owner and have owned it a year.  I have posted some questions/problems here, but none turned out to be anything significant.  I think Winnebago makes a quallity product (considering you're driving a house down the road at 60 MPH).  My only comment to you would be to seriously consider a DP.  We had almost settled on a brand new Vista. but bought a 5 year old DP instead and that was the best decision we ever made.  There is nothing like the ride of a DP. JM2C.  Be Happy!

Steve

Steve, I think the common point in both of your experiences is, you were at least the second owner. The griping posts seem to be made by new RV owners. They have every right to expect better. I think getting a year old used RV is a good choice.

I had the shot at buying a new RV. But I opted for a used one so I was caught with warranty issues. So I got a 10 year old Jayco and inspected from top to bottom and done what I felt needed to be done to be happy with it. Since there is no warranty I'm responsible for the RV after I purchase it. So carefully inspection of the RV at the dealer only left me 2 minor problems which was old wore tires and a set of brake shoes.

As for picking out a RV I would be more worried about the live quarters than the name brand really.

People who are not mechanically inclined and who expect the sort of fit, finish, and reliability that new cars now have often become disappointed RV buyers.

Well, I am not mechanically inclined (I hate all things mechanical). Either we were incredibly lucky or perhaps those on forums are extra picky, but we have not had an abundance of problems. Every new stick and brick house we have purchased has been a nightmare compared to the few issues with our motorhome. 

Thank you all !  I do feel better now <LOL>. I am planning to purchase the units I posted but at 3-5 yr old models with some mileage already on the "clock".  I have  considered the Gas vs DP arguments and have chosen the gasser - I better fit for me.  I started out on this dream with no brand/floorplan in mind - I had no idea there would be so many to chose from but being in NO HURRY I've been narrowing my choices down and believe the the Sunstar/Vista 30T to be the best floorplan for my needs (aspect/cambria were knocked out of 1st as backups).

As for repairs, I can do some very basic things, I'll learn as much as I can and that I feel safe doing and help keep the repair industry stay in business with the items I can't do.

I'm continuing to look at all the available units and who knows what I'll eventually purchase but I can't wait to get out on the road !

Thank you for replying with honest thoughts and experiences and when I get my unit, and I need help I'll be back and if I get that special unit that is perfect right out of the lot - I'll try to post that too, to help the next newbie not feel to discouraged !!

Bonnie :)

Hi Bonny!

Welcome to the forum!  I am fairly new too- having purchased our used "Vortex" Gulf Stream Sun Sport about 6 weeks ago.

I see why you might be overwhelmed by the posts about issues but as others have mentioned this is a place you can trust to go to when you have a problem. The amazing folks here have literally saved us hundreds by giving sage advice and helping us diagnose issues. They have also very kindly walked us through fixing issues!

I am pretty handy but my husband owned a boat. The boat was a money pit with constant major and minor issues. Every time it was used the boat demanded more repairs. It has been really hard to get him to understand that the RV will bless us more than his boat did since we just got it and are still fixing it up. But this forum- with the helpful advice- has really helped.

So where will you go first when you get your RV? Will you take others with you?

Cheers!
Stella

Back
Top Bottom