A Single Newbie Finally Hits the Road!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

Just an update from a newbie that finally hit the road fulltime! 

Let's see, last December 2009, I bought a 1994 Tioga Montara with the intention of living in it fulltime. I was also recuperating from a major illness, and a nasty assault, and living on a friend's couch as I had relocated from the Caribbean after 22 years plus nearly a month in intensive care at an overseas hospital.

The RV was too cold to sleep in, until I bought an electric mattress warmer, and oh my gosh, I felt like a kitten all snuggled up to mama cat in that toasty warm bed, What A HUGE difference. So while living in my RV in my friend's driveway, and recuperating, I discovered the leaky roof. I tried to caulk it, my friends tried to caulk it and still it leaked as if to mock us. So my possessions, continued to live in my friends house while I slept in the RV. I couldn't use the toilet because I discovered the former owner had left me a tank full of HIS poop!  :eek: 

However, he had thoughtfully filled all the plumbing with antifreeze and I just left it that way, since some days I was super sick and my friend begged me to stay indoors on their couch and the RV sat outside, unheated.

Every now and then I would get my strength back and take the RV on a very short ride to get used to handling the beast, then come back to level it up in their driveway, then collapse again from the sheer effort. Time ticked away and my recuperation began to mend again with the occasional hiccups that set me back here and there, but the WORST thing of all was itchy feet. I wanted to travel again and having NEVER ever traveled by RV, I was anxious to get well and well, get moving!!! ;D

Eventually I was able to actually start doing a little work here and there and make some repairs on the RV, doing the work myself, but the leaky roof continued to taunt me.  I also managed to finally do some paying freelance work plus sell enough of my book (Hurricanes and Hangovers)  to scrape up some repair money for the roof and gasoline for the tank. Suddenly February was upon us and I wondered where had all the time gone? 

I finally got the leaky rubber roof repaired!  First it was pressure washed, then dried, then primed, then massive amounts of all manner of caulking, then  4 coats of rubber roof coating and well my roof looks brand new now and nary a drop has been seen since.

Because it was a brutal winter in upstate SC, I couldn't do the painting myself (it must cure at 55F+ degrees for a day between coats etc) so I sent it to a shop. Actually, the first shop I went to, a large well known franchise, seemed to dismiss me as if they had never ever met a single female with an old used RV, and treated me like a total idiot, then  tried to sell me a $5,000 new roof. 

NOTE:  There was NO structural damage, the prior owner had always garaged the RV and just never done any roof maintenance, so all the leaks were basically "new" even though I am sure they didn't happen overnight, his garage had prevented any damages. The former owner basically fired up the generator and engine each month and sat in the garage, dreaming of places to go, but never really went much of anywhere the past few years while the original 94 roof rubber deteriorated. I came along and after buying the RV, did caulking 3 times, only to have it seemingly spring new leaks!  I couldn't fully move into the RV, because I didn't want to live with leaks that might damage the RV and my stuff. So I had reached a crisis stage, as I needed to do SOMETHING to get off my friend's sofa where I was camping!  The tarp I had put over it, managed to spring a leak and I was back to square one plus you can't drive anywhere with a tarp over it and so on.

Anyhow, the harsh treatment by the rude service manager at the franchised place  upset me so badly, I shopped for quotes.  The next place wanted to sell me an RV roof kit, then tack on labor and the quote was about $1500 for just the roof refurbishment. The kit had more junk that was needed for my roof, and they harped on their 5 year warranty. When I began asking questions about; was the warranty on the paint or the labor  or both, and was the warranty good at other locations that sold that paint or just their location, and if it sprung a leak 2 weeks later, 1,500 miles away, would it be fixed locally or would I have to backtrack 1,500 miles and the guy says "I don't know what we cover, I just know it's a 5 year warranty!" and he then took a lengthy phone call and did his best to dismiss and  ignore me.

Next I  ended up at a small old established family run RV shop.  These folks treated me really nicely and were extremely patient with me being a newbie and owning an old RV. They also mentioned some of their clients had been coming to them for 30+ years.  I could see why too. While their shop had fading paint and was in desperate need of new signage, the garage was well appointed and they acted like they truly wanted to help me, not only with the roof but everything to get me on the road.

I had barely hopped out of my RV when this old man with a cigar stub dangling out of his mouth,  ran out of the shop and up the ladder and proceeded to go over every inch of my roof while talking nonstop. Then he climbed down and next thing I knew, he was inspecting the outside of the RV and then he dashed inside and did a complete tour and kept asking me what else was wrong, while inspecting and talking away and handing out tons of advice and so on!  So I gave him my punch list of all the things such as the engine battery rarely started the RV, the big drawer I repaired, fell apart, the heat and defroster on the engine blew out icy cold air, and I'd like an oil change for good luck, the broken refrigerator chimney with its duct tape repair was unsightly and could he check all my tires including the spare for proper air pressure, since I didn't fancy crawling under there in my dress and I was clueless how to check the inside of the back 4 tires and maybe lubricate the under things for good luck too.

He barked at me, "That's IT?  That's all that's wrong with it?"

9 days later and for $1400 he did the above roof repairs and refurbishment, installed a new starter battery, replaced the broken refrigerator chimney, repaired the non-working engine heat and defroster, changed the oil, lubricated everything and repaired my biggest drawer, which has broken slides and checked the air pressure in all 7 tires.

When I picked it up, he dragged me up the portable stairway, talking nonstop and showed me my new beautiful roof and told me to call him anytime for free advice and he hoped if I ever needed anything I would come back and he said he felt like I was ready to hit the road for many trouble free miles.  (My new used RV is a 1994 with 38,000 miles). 

I was IMPRESSED to say the least. I asked him what if the roof sprung a leak and he barked "It WON'T!" and explained how to care for it in the future then he conceded if I ever saw the teeniest drop of water, to let him know, "We make things RIGHT! We stand behind our work!" and he must have told me this 5 times.

I drove away on cloud nine, and spent the next few days packing up my stuff and sorting much of it for donation or garbage (I like to travel light)  and I MOVED in completely. Then it poured down rain and stormed several times and the RV was dry as a desert inside. 

I bought a few groceries and since I had potential business 500+ miles away in Orlando, I drove 250 to Savannah and spent the night at a very nice beautiful campground.  I stopped at rest areas along the way and made small meals, plus fired up the generator and let it work some to lubricate and purr to get the old gasoline out of the carburetor and I thought WOW, this is the life! The fridge was icy cold while on propane use.  Initially it was so cold outside, I had the engine heater running (while driving) and my gosh, it heated up the entire RV without me having to use the main furnace at all.

I also managed to dump the seller's tank of poop!  Yes!  He sold me the RV with a tank load of his poop!  Had I KNOWN.....  (and just how much of the final selling price did he charge me for his big tank of poop?)    But at some point I had bought leather gloves, rubber gloves, plastic gloves and so on, knowing this day would come...  I had also bought some vice grips and I've always been the type to own multiple cans of WD-40. So at the campground, I sat down on my portable stool, (I can't reach the inside cabinets without it!) donned my leather gloves, and fought with that poop valve with the vice grips,  while spraying a half can of WD-40 on it, and by golly, I got the valve unstuck and heard the WHOOSH.  It seemed like it took forever, but I got rid of the seller's tank full of poop and flushed out the tank really good and filled up the gray water tank and then drained it to flush out the hoses and I was ready to dance on the picnic table at this point...

Oh and I was wearing a dress while doing all this work, causing many walking by, to take a double look at this odd site...

The next day I played in my RV like a child with a new toy, then did another 250 miles to Orlando by my lonesome and all in all I managed to arrive alive, without hitting anything or anybody and chanting to myself "I'm 28 feet long, 8 feet wide, 11 feet high..."  I found changing lanes a bit daunting, but just the same I managed all that. The roads were under construction much of the way, plus two more storms, and sometimes traffic moved at a crawl, but I survived!

I had loaded up this Mp3 thingy with tunes and plugged it into a cigarette lighter and it somehow broadcast through the stereo speakers, so I had nonstop tunes to keep me company and no worries about my hands leaving the steering wheel to fiddle for radio stations.  I kept both hands on the steering wheel 99% of the time and learned to use the mirror arrangement.  When I had to negotiate heavy traffic, bad roads, hideous detours and weird turns, I just slowed way down and took my sweet time, better safe than sorry and the honkers can just keep on honking while I make sure I don't take out a tree or mow down a stop sign or be forced into making sudden erratic dangerous moves.

If I sound smitten, I AM!!!  I'm now in Orlando until whenever...  I think I am meeting up with a non-RV friend next week about 140 miles away, and we are going to RV together for a few days of relaxation.  I am still working and while for the most part my work goes with me, I will at some point need to relocate again, no grass will die under my RV!

Currently I am parked on a private shady lot with just electrical hook up and otherwise living self-contained. Once the poop tank fills,  I will have to venture out and dump all that again. 

In Savannah, it was my first time EVER setting up camp (besides my friend's driveway), and in under 15 minutes, I was parked, and had my water, electric and sewer hooked up.  The Wifi worked and I didn't bother with the TV cable as I was too excited to watch TV and besides, the TV is still packed up in the basement and I'm not even sure I want a TV (it was a used gift from a friend) but I felt like "Aw heck, any old girl can do this alone... why was I ever worried?" 

When I checked out of camp I topped up the propane tank and though I somehow missed a turn in the RV park and apparently drove one way the wrong way, (in the park) everyone was nice about it and let me slowly plow on through until I was back on the correct lane again.  I swear I followed every sign, so I still don't know HOW I ended up doing that, but no one seemed obligated to give me any grief or maybe my red face and goofy grin was just too entertaining...

In Orlando while visiting with some old friends, they said they never doubted for a moment that I would load up that RV and drive down alone.....  if they only knew how WHITE my knuckles were...

Which I've decided since I am going it alone, that towing a toad is just way too much trouble. I also haven't learned much about backing up, though I've been forced to do it now and then. I mostly get out on foot, do a 360, then back up at a snail's pace, and if I feel funny, I park again, get out and look, then back up at turtle speed some more.  I know this is a very slow method of backing up, but so far I've missed the trees and telephone poles and other vehicles and left the mailboxes intact.

For shopping, I pull into the  parking lot and park far away from the crowd,  in such a way I don't have to reverse, if at all possible, when I leave, then I get my exercise hiking to and from the stores.  My stamina is still not up to par, but that's OK, I just stretch out on the bed and relax if I have to, before I fire up and drive off.

Oh, and at some point this winter, I got fed up with the whole medical mess, canceled my doctors and tossed 14 of their 17 "pills you need for the rest of your life" and only take the remaining 3, and took on lots of alternative healthy treatments and after a few bumpy scares,  it seems I am rapidly recuperating, without their help. I just refuse to lie down and die, so they better get used to me sticking around, cause I got places to be and things to do, in my little old RV! 

After I bought the old RV, someone referred to my situation as a "terrible hardship".  I said "Hardship?  This is an adventure! The fact that I am alone, on a tiny shoe string erratic budget, just makes the adventure that more exciting!" 

Besides beans are cheap and I brought along this little nifty crock pot that does dried beans perfectly.  Now I'm trying to figure out why the hot water doesn't work, and where is that secret bypass valve and I am pinching pennies saving up for one of those Oxygenics handheld shower thingys.  I understand they pressurize and give you more bang for the water pressure.

Who knew life could be so grand?

Congratulations DearMissMermaid! You're on the road, that's what it's all about.
It's great that you found a reliable repair shop for your RV.
A leak proof roof is a must. If you're planning on doing any inspections/maintenanct on your roof read up on Eternabond. It's a great product that will repair any leaks properly. Don't just rely on caulk.
Also, for your black tank, I (and many others) use Calgon water softener. It helps keep the tank cleaner. Dissolve about two cups in water then pour it into your toilet.  Do it after you dump the tank.
Don't hestitate to ask questions on the forum, there's a lot of good information available...........and it's free.
Happy travels.

DearMissMermaid,

You have a knack with words.  I enjoyed your adventures and look forward to hearing more about the places you get to go and see.  I know your health will heal up even more quickly  when you can get out  on the road and see our  magnificient country.

Betty

i enjoyed your story very much  im glad everything is working out for you
and wish luck in your travels 

Well, Mermaid, so happy to hear that everything got taken care of and you're now enjoying the RVing lifestyle.  It doesn't take much to get hooked on it.  ;)  Also happy to hear your health is improving.  It's not fun - ever - to be sick, but especially when you don't have "home" nearby or "home" isn't ready to live in.

One hint for parking lots is to always face outward so you don't have to worry about maneuvering.  Even if we're parking on a street, say to stop for groceries, if there are four spaces we drive to the forward-most space so we can pull straight out.

Also, don't worry about the honkers if you're trying to be careful.  I figure that's THEIR problem.  My problem is getting through it intact and I do whatever is necessary to achieve that end.

It sounds like you're having a good start.  Have fun and enjoy your new lif.

ArdraF

My mother had a similar unit and stored it at my place.  She asked me to take in it for inspection and on the 90 mile ride I kept getting headaches.  It turned out the exhaust manifold was pitted and had to be replaced.  You could not smell it so be careful and check it out.

Enjoy your travels,

Russ

Wow!  Thanks to all for the kind, wonderful PEOPLE and your comments! 
What a great group of RV-ers, I hope I get to meet some of you at some point. 

Thanks, Southwind, for the Eternabond roof referral, but since Fleetwood put a Dicor roof on originally, Dicor primer and rubber coating products were used to refurbish the roof. It came out looking like a brand new roof and I am very impressed and delighted, to say the least.

It apparently helps to gently wash and condition the rubber roof throughout the year, and I don't think the past owner ever did that, he just kept it in a garage, dreaming...

Also thanks  for the Calgon water softener tip. 

And by the way, I'm sure not going to mention the "other shops" but the RV repair place that did me up righteous, I can whole heartedly recommend. He has a large parts department retail store and he knows his stuff. Several family members work there including an employee who lives fulltime in his RV and of course the owner has an RV.

If you ever need repairs, anywhere near Greenville, SC, then I can highly recommend these guys for excellent service:

Wags RV Sales & Services
19 Piney Mountain Road
Greenville, SC 29609-3004
(864) 244-6041

There are several beautiful RV parks in the foothills and mountains, 10-45 minutes away,most with rivers or lakes,  so once you are done there, you can camp nearby. 

Currently I am in Orlando, Florida,  on a private shady lot with electric & water,  the past 8 days, but soon I plan to meet up with a passenger and go have some RV fun for a few days or weeks. We forgot to discuss any major details.

I've had some work to do, medical mess and friends to visit, so it's been fun. I need to finish organizing the RV better, I got frustrated over my continual delays and while "moving in"  I caved in and just  tossed a bunch of things in cabinets and the basement to deal with later... (so I could hit the road!) and later is coming one day soon.

My future passenger is an old sailing buddy from the Caribbean who is now in the USA too, so if you see 2 nuts trying to tack upwind in an RV...that will be us.

I don't know if folks "name" their RV's, but sailors of course name their boats,and dinghies plus in the Caribbean many folks name their houses and sometimes their cars.

So my boat was named SEA ROSE, my dinghy was SEA WEED and  my heap of a jeep, the years I had one,was ROSE ROYCE.  Today a Caribbean sailing friend called me up and suggested I name the motorhome ROSE RUNNER... We had a great laugh over that one!

Dear Miss,

We named our Motorhome "The Queen Mary"  to reflect the turning radius.  When we call to get an RV reservation I tell the clerk on the phone our need, often they do not have a clue.  But glad you are getting on the road.  Life will  continue to be an adventure!

Betty and Terry

in the Queen,  a 40 foot,  99  Country Coach motorhome.

Miss Mermaid, you are an inspiration to me. I am not yet behind the wheel of 'the beast' since it is still at the factory but may often be traveling alone or with other friends that won't be driving. I am of course very nervous especially since I live in Colorado in the summer and it seems that if you want to go anywhere you must tackle the mountain roads with shear drop offs and certain death if you miscalculate. One of the things I have learned from this forum is that backing up is one of the most dangerous things you can do in your motorhome especially without a spotter. Take a look at the site www.betterrving.com under the driver confidence course. It has made me feel a slight more knowledgeable. Also I learned to back my 23 foot trailer by going back and forth; then forth and back etc. out of my driveway. I'm sure my neighbors were laughing but I was determined.
I sure hope you are healing from your illness and I wish you the very best.

Have been working on the motorhome I bought off and on for months.  It may not be 100% but if hubby is still home we are taking it for 125 mile drive April 14th.  He said he would like to take it out the first time to see if we have any major problems with it.  We are hoping his friends will follow us up as they are going to the same place for a big cookout/birthday party.  We intend to stay overnight.

If all goes well then myself and DD are taking off in it.  Short drives at first, if it proves reliable maybe a bit futher out.  Hubby says if she and I really enjoy it he will buy us a newer and he feels more reliable one.  We shall see how it goes.  He will be working away for 3 more years so she and I may be out on the road quite a bit. I hope this one is ok as I really like the way its laid out, have no problems with it at all even though its a 1992.

So me, I"m 64 and DD who is mentally challeged is 39.  May or may not take the dog, he weighs 70 pounds, he is dying to go.  He comes inside with us while we are working on it and gets excited each time he sees us getting in it.

suezek said:
One of the things I have learned from this forum is that backing up is one of the most dangerous things you can do in your motorhome especially without a spotter.

Suezek,

I've been on this forum for lots of years and a staff member for a while now and I don't recall that this forum claims that backing up is the most dangerous thing you can do in your motor home.  Without a spotter it may be intimidating and it does take more effort; but is NOT the most dangerous.  There are a several single drivers here who back up all the time.

Marsha~

Marsha, it might depend on who's driving  ;D

Marsha, I concede I could do a lot of other stuff much more dangerous. I read that about backing up on the BetterRVing site in the learn to drive series. I intend to learn to be VERY good a backing up and going forward too. All said, I think I might just carve the first scratch in the new beast just to get it over with.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I hope this one is ok as I really like the way its laid out, have no problems with it at all even though its a 1992.

So me, I"m 64 and DD who is mentally challeged is 39.  May or may not take the dog, he weighs 70 pounds, he is dying to go.  He comes inside with us while we are working on it and gets excited each time he sees us getting in it.

If you really like the layout and the rig, it's often cheaper to repair it than to replace it.  Also, why not take the dog?  He sounds like a good traveler and you'll sleep tight, knowing your buddy is there. Most grocery stores have BIG parking lots, so you can park at the end (without backing up when you leave) to  fetch his food and yours. 

I once had a big dog who would see me getting ready to go sailing  for the weekend, he would run grab his food bowl and race for the front door,  tail wagging double-time, then drop his bowl in front of the door and go back to the kitchen,  if he could get the pantry door open, he would grab the dog food and drag it to the front door. It was hilarious and I wish he were alive now to travel with me.

I plan on adding a pet at some point, well I had a pet,a lovely cat, in great health, been with me 9 years, he was lost in a very rural area, Blacksburg SC, on the final leg of my trip from the Caribbean,  (before the motorhome) when I did something stupid while super tired and very weak.  I've searched for him for months, to no avail.  I think he's out there somewhere, and I just can't find him.  I still have hopes but everyone says move along. I know he would have loved the RV life!

One thing I learned from that sad night, NEVER make decisions when tired and sick.  It cost me my little buddy.  Lessons learned, that said, I am still excited about my RV.

I am still in Orlando, but will wander northerly at some point to end up in Detroit around early June. I hope to make many stops along the way and see friends and so on.

Our first run was uneventful so I think hubby feels good about turning his girls loose, well better anyway.  He sometimes wonders about me and my sense of adventure.  But after all these years he should be used to it.

Miss Mermaid, who knows maybe our paths will cross.  We will not be fulltiming by any means I have way to much work to do here and with rentals, but we will certainly be out and about as often as we can.

Good luck to you and enjoy.

MissMermaid:
Wow??! Thank you for your story?., well written and structured. Your writings provide a glimpse of an individual who can and will survive on your own.

For me, your story, the preparation and planning of ?living the RV Life? awaken the sense of excitement one gets before setting out on an RV adventure. I will be taking another 30 day trip across this wonderful country in late May, and looking forward to the ?Open road?. Lots of things to accomplish yet, but, that is part of the fun as well.

Thank you and keep writing (about your adventures) for us?..
Mr. Bojangles

You probably know this, but in case you don't - when backing up using your mirrors, hold the steering wheel at the top, then which ever way you want the back end to go, move your hands that way.

Great story mermaid. It sounds as though you are in complete control of your RV. As far as backing up goes we got our first RV a year ago and backing up or driving for that matter has never been a problem as I drove a large truck for 16 years until I was 38, and backed long distances sometimes for a mile at a time using just the mirrors . I don't know if your RV would have one or not but a rear view camera is great for backing once you get used to them.Our RV had one in it when we got it but I dont think they are a really expensive add on but one well worth the money. I hope you are enjoying your time in Orlando and I also hope you enjoy your trip North . We will be heading north also from Oviedo  to Nova Scotia the first part of June.Happy RVing and have fun. Alan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom