A somewhat expensive mistake-could have been worse.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rstrahan

So bought a Master Tow tow dolly from an individual.  Good tires, good condition.  Pulled just fine.  After about 2500 miles and on the way back home, noticed that one tire was wearing BALD.  Other tire showed some unusual wear. Pulled into a rest area, got out the jack and started changing the tire.  As I was removing the tire, I noticed a lot of movement in the wheel. 

Then I remembered the seller saying he had replaced the bearings.  Uh, oh.  Yep, he replaced the bearings, but failed to properly tighten the bearings.  Got home, now have to replace a tire, and redo the bearing work. 

Oh, well, it could have failed under tow, possibly causing damage to the car and leaving me stuck on the side of the road. 

So, if you buy a used tow trailer or dolly, just remember my story and double check before using.

Rstrahan said:
So bought a Master Tow tow dolly from an individual.  Good tires, good condition.  Pulled just fine.  After about 2500 miles and on the way back home, noticed that one tire was wearing BALD.  Other tire showed some unusual wear. Pulled into a rest area, got out the jack and started changing the tire.  As I was removing the tire, I noticed a lot of movement in the wheel. 

Then I remembered the seller saying he had replaced the bearings.  Uh, oh.  Yep, he replaced the bearings, but failed to properly tighten the bearings.  Got home, now have to replace a tire, and redo the bearing work. 

Oh, well, it could have failed under tow, possibly causing damage to the car and leaving me stuck on the side of the road. 

So, if you buy a used tow trailer or dolly, just remember my story and double check before using.

For every trailer I've ever bought, the first thing I have done each time is to inspect and repack the wheel bearings,and replace the seals. One I had to buy new bearings. Have never had a wheel bearing failure.

It doesn't matter whether the trailer is new or old, first thing every owner should do is check the hubs carefully for leaking seals, etc.  It happens all the time on brand new RV's with electric brakes.

On any used trailer, the hubs should be physically inspected, cleaned and repacked.

Every time an RV trailer is moved, the torque needs checked on all lug nuts with a high quality torque wrench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom