A Very Strange Scam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of years ago, we signed up on https://www.nomorobo.com for our land line.
(We never use our land line, but if we drop it our cable bill goes up due to no more "packaging")
Anyway... we know it's working because we get a few calls every evening that ring once.
A one-ring call means it's blocked.
Nomorobo is free for a land line, but is a few bucks a year for mobile.
Worth every penny.

We had a land line about 5 or 6 years ago.  We cancelled the service but continue to give out the old number whenever someone asks for our phone number.  They're happy with any old number so it's a win-win.  ;)

Email.  Never open emails from anyone without a subject line that makes sense.  Never open emails from Facebook friends that send jokes via email. 

Cell phones.  Only answer cell calls if we recognize the name.  (usually family or close friends).  Others will have to leave a message. 

Computer.  For the few times they've managed to freeze my browser, I just turn it off and restart.  So far so good. 

We used NoMoRobo on our landline when we had one, and now we use the Call Control app on our cell phones. The app blocks scam and telemarketing calls, including charities and political calls, using an extensive community supported list as well as our own additions. Very few unwanted calls get through...

garyb1st said:
We had a land line about 5 or 6 years ago.  We cancelled the service but continue to give out the old number whenever someone asks for our phone number.  They're happy with any old number so it's a win-win;)
Except for the person/people who got your old number!

I got a call the other day in my cell, and it came up as "robo call". As do a lot of others, if it doesn't display a name I know, I don't answer it. If it's that important, the caller can leave a message. I do have my mail box set up, and keep it pretty much empty. The kids aggravate me, because a third of the time they don't set up their.mailbox, another third they let it fill up so it's useless, and the other third, they don't bother listening to their messages.

There is an app for iPhone called "HiYa" that does a great job of identifying and/or blocking those spam/phishing calls. The free version is pretty good but the upgraded $ version is even better. Works as long as the app is open and in background. Not sure if there is an Android version.

kdbgoat said:
The kids aggravate me, because a third of the time they don't set up their.mailbox, another third they let it fill up so it's useless, and the other third, they don't bother listening to their messages.

I hear ya - not sure what the age range is but mine (22 & 24) are the same. We finally made them record a basic greeting but I think the deal is that 20-somethings don't leave voice messages for each other so they don't bother thinking about the rest of the world!

Joezeppy said:
I hear ya - not sure what the age range is but mine (22 & 24) are the same. We finally made them record a basic greeting but I think the deal is that 20-somethings don't leave voice messages for each other so they don't bother thinking about the rest of the world!

Most kids would rather text than talk.......For the life of me I will never understand that. I have a very dear friend that will send me a text and the first thing I do is call her.....I keep telling her....A text message could be held against me court ;D

Our boys range from 33 to 39 years old. One would think they would have grown up by now ::)

kdbgoat said:
Our boys range from 33 to 39 years old. One would think they would have grown up by now ::)

HA.. My friends in that age group...............I have a Aunt (70 years old) who will not talk on the phone. She doesn't text, but she will wear you out with Email and Facebook post.

I leave my phone set to "do not disturb" but allow exceptions for contacts so it won't ring unless you have given me your number first. 8)

As for people not leaving messages they just see the missed call and return it.

I had an email the other day that wanted me to pay the shipping for 30 million in cash.

glen54737 said:
I leave my phone set to "do not disturb" but allow exceptions for contacts so it won't ring unless you have given me your number first. 8)

As for people not leaving messages they just see the missed call and return it.

I had an email the other day that wanted me to pay the shipping for 30 million in cash.

Out of curiosity, how much is the shipping on $30M?  Is it in singles or hundreds?  Inquiring minds and all that.

Old_Crow said:
Out of curiosity, how much is the shipping on $30M?  Is it in singles or hundreds?  Inquiring minds and all that.

A million dollars in singles weighs about 1.1 tons. $30M in singles would weigh roughly 33 tons. If the $30M was in hundreds that would be 300,000 bills. I think that would be 660 lbs.

Old_Crow said:
Not many people know this but a US bill weighs exactly one gram. When I ran a business that took in a lot of 20s every day I would just weigh them rather than count them. So 30 million ones would weight 66,138 pounds. 1.5 million 20s would equal 3,306 pounds.

SeilerBird said:
Not many people know this but a US bill weighs exactly one gram. When I ran a business that took in a lot of 20s every day I would just weigh them rather than count them. So 30 million ones would weight 66,138 pounds. 1.5 million 20s would equal 3,306 pounds.

Yeah, but I win cause I said it first.  :)

SeilerBird said:

Wow, back in the day I'd have found this fact very useful.  ;)

Old_Crow said:
Wow, back in the day I'd have found this fact very useful.  ;)

It is useful to those of us that need to ship millions of dollar bills around the country. I know that it cost more than $200K to ship $30M in one dollar bills from Delaware to Florida. Even if you aren?t shipping dollar bills these facts come in handy at cocktail parties. When conversation gets a bit slow and boring you bring things like this up and watch the party liven up. The hosts will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom