ABS Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bingo_57

OK all another stupid question..... Just had the front brakes done on this 97 Tioga E-350. now on an interminted bases the ABS light comes on.  I can pull over turn the rig off weight 3 min start up & take off with no light. Thirty min down, flash light back on. Type of road doesn't seam to matter, smooth or rough. Any ideas ??

Jim
AKA:Bingo

Jim
  Same problem,replaced a broken ABS sensor on one of the rear brakes.part was about 35.00 and I believe they charged me about 70.00 to replace.If your mechanical inclined ,you likely can do it your self.    Bill

Was it an obvious broken part or something you need a dealer to find. I have the same kind of issue mine just stays on now. I didn't see any wires hanging when I change tires. I looked thinking something similar.

Do not know what it looks like on a Ford but how old are you?  I mean I learned to drive before ABS was invented.. If the light is on the ABS is disabled.. Drive like you were taught and you won't have a problem.  Mine is getting to the point where no matter how often I clean I get a light more often than not, I'm about ready to say {Deleted} it. (The word Is deleted, not the ABS)

The only thing that bothers me is the IDIOT light on the dash I could less about ABS if it comes down to the point I need to stop that fast I want ALL 8 tire locking up and stopping me. The only time I have any use for them is when sliding on ice beyond that they are useless. I don't paln on taking this thing out on the ice. It gets parked late Oct and stays until late may NO ICE.

I've decided to get out the redneck roadside repair kit..... black electrical tape! Only had this rig since Feb & have done nothing but through money into it! However we have done two trips so far. Froze our backsides off on the last one defiantly need two batt's on the house side if your dry camping.

Jim

The repair shop said it looked like a rock flew up and hit it,so I gather  that it sticks out the backside(behind) the drum assembly,it seems to me it looked like a 2 inch by 3/4 inch around  cylinder.But not sure,also ,mine was on the rear,but you mentioned in your first post it showed up after a front brake job.I would check that first.
I personally wont compromise on my brake system.

Not compromising on my brakes, they just wont have the ABS system. Didn't have it in my 75 Winne. But now I kinda know what I'm looking for & sorta what it looks like, if the weather works for me or the stares alien just I'll get on it this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

Jim
AKA:bingo

Hi

I am sure I have read somewhere, and a Goggle search will reveal, that the Ford E350 ABS controller costing around $500 fails... you can purchase a replacement and that fails soon after. A sort of lemon issue no doubt resolved on later models.

My ABS light comes and goes... I care little about it.

Geoff & Sally

The ABS controller rarely fails, and the ABS light indicates the controller is working at least in basic form, so it is not completely fried or anything like that. Most often, an ABS warning light means a failed wheel sensor or a broken/corroded wire to wheel sensor.  You may have rear anti-lock only, or it may be4 wheel ABS.

...if it comes down to the point I need to stop that fast I want ALL 8 tire locking up and stopping me.

WRONG! You do not want the wheels locked - skidding lengthens the stopping distance. You want the wheels braked as much as possible but just short of locked up and skidding, and that is what an ABS (antilock) does.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The ABS controller rarely fails, and the ABS light indicates the controller is working at least in basic form, so it is not completely fried or anything like that. Most often, an ABS warning light means a failed wheel sensor or a broken/corroded wire to wheel sensor.  You may have rear anti-lock only, or it may be4 wheel ABS.

Hi

At the time I purchased my RV, and joined this forum, there were recalls on the Ford to have the controller replaced. There were also long threads from disgruntled owners of trucks that paid around $550 for replacement to have the thing fail shortly after. The issue may have been fixed on later models but there was a lot of internet postings on to topic at the time and Ford had recommended the recall for my RV Vin #.

I took my RV to my local Ford truck service depot and they replaced the controller and put extenders on my rear tyre valves. At the time I commented to the manager there (and posted the topic here) that the ride at the front had vibrations at certain speeds and should the tyres be balanced? He told me, without even looking under the RV, that it would cost $2,400 to replace all the steering joints. The RV had done just over 65,000 miles and I doubted the wisdom of his assertion.

Not long after I had a blow out on the front passenger tyre and learned, the hard way, that... despite excellent tread depths... the tyres on a vehicle that had stood for a long period are useless and dangerous and I changed all six.

No more vibrations...

Geoff & Sally

Thanks every one for the input. I hope to gut on this this weekend hoping it doesn't snow or rain again! I'll post with I come up with.

Thanks
Jim    ???

Well all I got underneath the MH this weekend. Found the ABS sincere on the front, but there is nothing on the rear. Only thing is the brake lines going to each side. Can the rear be control some where else? The front were very obvious. Any ideas ?

Jim
AKA: Bingo  ???

Its possible that you don't have ABS on the rear.But again,per your first post ,I would suspect one of the front sensors as the culprit due to the work being done just before the symptoms showed up.It should be obvious if it is damaged.but as posted earlier ,loose connections or a grounded wire may be the issue as well,I think you are narrowing it down,If the shop that did your brake job is local ,you might get a break from them for diagnosis and parts install,again,I only paid 35.00 thru my shop for a rear sensor.
  good luck and I would really like to hear the final outcome

It makes me wonder if the chassis in question is equipped with ABS on 4 wheels or only two. My only 92 Ford Ranger was equipped with only the rears (in this case) having ABS

OK I'll get underneath it right after work tomarrow night. The only line going to the rear of the coach is the brake fluid line . I'll give it another check though. this is a 97 Ford E-350 as it it registered. Some where I think I saw something saying the chaise is a 96 ?? Thanks again for all the help!

Jim
AKA: Bingo    :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom