adding a charging line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exziled

Hey all..
i was wondering if you would be able to help me. ive taken  my trailer out the last couple of weekends and noticed my batteries are dead. i thought i had a charging line in place to charge them when i was traveling. my question is, how hard would it be to wire a charging line in place? is it just a simple line going to the positive terminals? is there a fuse that needs to be added? i have a 7 way connection on my truck, but im not sure if it has a wire already in place. is there anyone that can basically walk me through adding in the charging line, or can point me in the right direction to get the information?

Depends on the truck.  Some manufacturers don't hook it up or leave the fuse out.  Or on an older truck of uncertain history it is possible that there's a blown fuse.

Keep in mind that even with everything working you won't get much charging with the stock setup.  10A is typical.  The wire sizes the truck and trailer manufacturers use are small and the voltage drop limits the current flow.

that does help Alfa.. thanks

Jammer, my truck is a 96 dodge ram 1500. any knowledge about this particular truck?

exziled said:
that does help Alfa.. thanks

Jammer, my truck is a 96 dodge ram 1500. any knowledge about this particular truck?

Yes. I do. It has a fuse in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) under the hood for the trailer its 40A fuse. But that wire should be hot at all times. So you might look and see after you replace it what on the trailer might be popping the fuse.

Attachments

• 96 trailer hook up.png
    96 trailer hook up.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 5
Note that the trailer can draw unlimited power from the truck via the charging line whenever the two are plugged together, so if you stop overnight be sure to electrically disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle. Otherwise you might end up with a dead battery in the tow vehicle!  A fuse in the 12v line would help limit the amount of power drawn, e.g. 10 amps, but a steady draw of a few amps will still deplete the battery overnight.

Great point Gary,  I drained my truck batteries one very cold night in a flying J parking lot...

I installed a relay to break power to the camper for the constant 12v supply. When I have the truck running the relay is closed. When the truck is off the relay is open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom