Adding a Dishwasher to our 40TD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boris and Natasha

After a great time at GNR, we're sitting on the grounds watching the Winnies leave. We're on deck for warranty work starting on Monday, and we've had plenty of time to work on our list of things to have taken care of. We're thinking about adding another item: Having a dishwasher installed.  :D  :D  :D

It was an option on our Tour, so there's a perfect spot for it to fit. In our opinion, it's worth the sacrifice of two barely used drawers. As fulltimers, we've adjusted just fine to life without a washer/dryer. But, without a dishwasher we are definitely missing one of the comforts of the ol' sticks and bricks home.

We don't know much about the Fisher Paykel dishwasher. But, we would love to hear from those who do.

We're not DIYers. So, if we do this we want to leave it in the hands of professionals. And, the factory seems like a logical place to do that. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mary

(A P.S. for John.....We met Jill at Shooters last night! We told her you are making her famous!)

Now that we have a washer/dryer, my wife wonders how we lived without it! 

With a 36 footer we did not want to give up the space, but in the 40 footer there is room and it sure is a convenience.

Follow-up:  DUH!  I just realized I responded about clothes washer when the topic was a dish washer!!! 

Our 2007 Vectra 40TD came with the Fisher Paykel installed from the factory. We love it. It is quiet, efficient and uses very little water. We would not be without it. We have had no issues with it.

Jim

Yeah, Richard.  At home I do the dinner dishes regularly, but in the coach it's probably 50/50 or even 60/40, with Nancy doing the larger share.  Less room to work in the galley, so usually one of us takes over and the other one sits down and relaxes.

And here I thought I had a lot of testosterone left; I load the dishwasher (She doesn't do it scientifically), I wash the daily pots in the sink, she puts away the dried dishes about 50% of the time.  I do all the vacuuming, fixing the house, etc.

I guess you can call me a wimp.  But at age 75/76 I like to help out to prevent another divorce.  ;D Married now for 26 years.

What makes women tick??????

Carson FL

Boris and Natasha said:
...We don't know much about the Fisher Paykel dishwasher. But, we would love to hear from those who do.

We had a two drawer model for years at our last house.  It was fairly quiet, but didn't clean as well as a Bosch or was as quiet as a high-end Bosch.  In spite of that comparison, we still highly valued it because with just the two of us, you load one drawer instead of a much larger traditionally-sized dishwasher.  The Fisher Paykel is mechanically simple with few moving parts, so not much to go wrong.  I thought Jane would want one when we ordered our Horizon, but she didn't want to give up the galley drawers.  That's her domain, so whatever the cook wanted was fine with me  8).

(A P.S. for John.....We met Jill at Shooters last night! We told her you are making her famous!)

Jill is already used to being somewhat famous, but this will be a great regeneration (like Dr. Who) for her  ;D

For the DIYers, Jakes Surplus in Fairmont, MN has two of the Fisher Paykel dishwashers in stoc. He is asking $249ea.

That's a great price, John! And, we're not that far from Fairmont. Maybe we could rethink this non-DIY thing!  Thanks!

We have two Fisher & Paykel dish drawers in our kitchen, and I wish I'd never laid eyes on them. They're quite flimsily made, and break down a lot. For home use, two of these drawers do not equal a regular dishwasher when it comes to how much can be put in them. I'd replace both with a full size Bosch in a heartbeat if it weren't for the fact that our custom kitchen cabinets would need to be reconfigured.

While in the coach or on the boat, we wash the few dishes after every meal by hand, taking it in turns to wash and wipe.

I added one to our Adventurer. I didn't have a premade space, so most of the work was making the space.

Here's some pictures:
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/ennored/MH%20dishwasher/

We love it. With three young kids we couldn't keep up with the dishes doing them by hand. We collect dirty dishes in the drawer all day, and push play before we go to bed. We sleep about 3 feet from it, we can barely hear it.

Paper plates and plastic fork and knife are just fine with me.

But the better half doesn?t agree.

Out voted again.

Oh well.

I'm sitting on the bench just outside the door to Winnebago Customer Service here in Forest City as I write this. (It's been quite a week!) Unfortunately, they cannot install a dish drawer in our Tour, because they say it was not an option. (Whatever!)

Oh well! It was fun to dream!

We have to be back here in October to finish the work, so maybe they'll change their minds between now and then.

I can dream, can't I?

Mary

There are custom RV cabinet shops that would do that for you.

Tom said:
There are custom RV cabinet shops that would do that for you.

Tom

I would think that plumbing, drains and electric would be a bigger problem than cabinetry. Boris' coach probably wasn't preplumbed for the DW, therefore the rejection.

Understood Bernie. But, a place like Davis Cabinets does a lot more than cabinetry.

Back
Top Bottom