ADDING A GENERATOR TO MY HITCHHIKER 5TH WHEEL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KANDJCITATION

hello again!

ok, just got over my furnace trouble so now im looking for a new HEADACHE!

i want to add a generator to my Nu Wa HitchHiker Champange model, 2004.

i have a fully ENCLOSED very QUIET 4500 generator, WHAT IS THE PROCESS?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR EVERYONES HELP

Will the generator fit in your front storage area and can your rig handle the extra weight there? A 4500 W generator is heavy!

You need to add provisions for the exhaust, possible heat shielding to prevent damage to adjacent surfaces, and some way to hook in the trailer's shore power system. Easiest way to to put a suitable receptacle next to the generator and hardwire it  to the genny's output. Then just plug your shore power cord into the outlet when needed.

What type of fuel and where will you carry it? The genny will either require an external fuel tank or have one built in that you must pour fuel into (if gas or diesel).

Barb said:
And please stop typing in all caps.  On the internet it means your shouting.  It's kinda of hard for people to respond when your yelling at them.

Barb

i wouldnt yell at anyone! UNLESS THEY DESERVE IT! is this better?

RV Roamer said:
Will the generator fit in your front storage area and can your rig handle the extra weight there? A 4500 W generator is heavy!

You need to add provisions for the exhaust, possible heat shielding to prevent damage to adjacent surfaces, and some way to hook in the trailer's shore power system. Easiest way to to put a suitable receptacle next to the generator and hardwire it  to the genny's output. Then just plug your shore power cord into the outlet when needed.

What type of fuel and where will you carry it? The genny will either require an external fuel tank or have one built in that you must pour fuel into (if gas or diesel).

yes, i measured it all out and there is a good bit of room int the front, i think it is pre-wired for the generator hook-up  so im assuming the weight will be ok, it looks pretty bulked up, i was just going to use the plug anyhow...i think?

as for the exhaust, how is it typically run, is down and out to side ok? away from a window also.

gas powered! or can you change gast to propane?

thanks again!

You need to get the exhaust out from under the front overhang - don't want it rising under the bedroom.  A path "down" is not a good one, since exhaust gasses are hot and thus naturally rise. They can be forced down, of course, but that creates back pressure and on a small engine back pressure can effect performance.  I don't know how integrated generators are usually installed in a fifth wheel - everybody I know uses an external one.

The generator manufacturer may have a kit for installation. Is it an Onan?

You also need to allow for air intake, either by leaving the bay door open or installing a louver in the door or wall.

I had a 1990 King of the Road that was generator ready. It had a power receptacle already installed in the front bay and a louver in the bay door for air inlet. No exhaust port, though, since that would depend on the particular genny installed.

A call to Nuwa might get you some answers.

We have a Yamaha iS3000 inverter generator which I mounted in my truck bed, directly behing the cab. I fabricated a weather-proof enclosure with a hinged lid (for refueling) and removable doors on each end. When the generator is in use, I remove the end doors to allow fresh air in one end and exhaust out the other end. It is plugged into the trailer with a 30 amp Twistloc connector, and I installed a transfer switch in the trailer which automatically switches to generator power when the generator starts.

We have been using this setup for three years, with almost 500 hours on the generator, and it works perfectly. I rigged up a wireless remote start to use in the trailer. Noise level is extremely low. We occasionally travel from the north to the south in the winter, and overnight at Flying J centers. In these cases, the generator runs overnight to keep the trailer batteries charged with constant use of the furnace. The generator has successfully started in temps as low as 0 degrees F. When sleeping in the trailer, it's good to know that the generator is in the truck, and not in a trailer compartment, which just about eliminates carbon monoxide worries, even though we still use a CO monitor in the bedroom.

huronwoods said:
We have a Yamaha iS3000 inverter generator which I mounted in my truck bed, directly behing the cab. I fabricated a weather-proof enclosure with a hinged lid (for refueling) and removable doors on each end. When the generator is in use, I remove the end doors to allow fresh air in one end and exhaust out the other end. It is plugged into the trailer with a 30 amp Twistloc connector, and I installed a transfer switch in the trailer which automatically switches to generator power when the generator starts.

We have been using this setup for three years, with almost 500 hours on the generator, and it works perfectly. I rigged up a wireless remote start to use in the trailer. Noise level is extremely low. We occasionally travel from the north to the south in the winter, and overnight at Flying J centers. In these cases, the generator runs overnight to keep the trailer batteries charged with constant use of the furnace. The generator has successfully started in temps as low as 0 degrees F. When sleeping in the trailer, it's good to know that the generator is in the truck, and not in a trailer compartment, which just about eliminates carbon monoxide worries, even though we still use a CO monitor in the bedroom.

Your set is air cooled and should not be run in an enclosed structure. Check with Yamaha they will tell you this. The set is going to be running hot. You will not get the full life out of the set. I

turkey trail said:
Your set is air cooled and should not be run in an enclosed structure. Check with Yamaha they will tell you this. The set is going to be running hot. You will not get the full life out of the set. I

I was wary of this when I first set it up. On detailed examination of the generator casing, I saw that all of the cooling air entered on the left side, and the heated air all exited on the right side. The casing itself is completely airtight except for these two openings. The configuration of my enclosure is such that there is absolutely no impediment to air flow at either end, nor is it possible for heated exhaust air to mix with the incoming cool air.

To be really sure, I did a test where the generator was running with a 1.5 kW load, and I measured the exiting air temperature both with and without my enclosure. There was no difference in the exit temperature between the two tests, after 20 minutes of running first in the enclosure, then outside in free air.

The manual does warn about putting the generator inside an enclosure. That is why I did the thourough tests mentioned above. After 500 hours of running, the generator runs like new, with no oil consumption or other signs of deterioration. I believe that if the enclosure is designed correctly, and proper tests are done, therewill be no problems.

huronwoods said:
I was wary of this when I first set it up. On detailed examination of the generator casing, I saw that all of the cooling air entered on the left side, and the heated air all exited on the right side. The casing itself is completely airtight except for these two openings. The configuration of my enclosure is such that there is absolutely no impediment to air flow at either end, nor is it possible for heated exhaust air to mix with the incoming cool air.

To be really sure, I did a test where the generator was running with a 1.5 kW load, and I measured the exiting air temperature both with and without my enclosure. There was no difference in the exit temperature between the two tests, after 20 minutes of running first in the enclosure, then outside in free air.

The manual does warn about putting the generator inside an enclosure. That is why I did the thourough tests mentioned above. After 500 hours of running, the generator runs like new, with no oil consumption or other signs of deterioration. I believe that if the enclosure is designed correctly, and proper tests are done, therewill be no problems.
I think you have it under control. I did the same with my "open" gen. It is 4400 watt. I built an enclosure of 2" rigid glass duct insulation. each end has a 10" 700 cfm fan (one blows in and one out. I also put lined spiral duct ells. The unit has a temp shut-down (my install) and actually runs approx 10 degrees cooler in the enclosure. The db's of sound are approx 45 at full load. I am sure that your enclosure quiets it a bit also and you start with a quiet gen so that is great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom