Adding batteries to motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kstrat

I just picked up a 1984 suncrest motorhome. It has two batteries underneath the hood and one in the storage compartment. it has a solar panel that charges the one in the storage compartment, and my question is can i add one or two more batteries and connect them all together? i am looking for a little more battery life because i plan on mainly using this for dry camping at the desert.
Thank you
Kyle

Kyle, you can add all the batteries that you have room for, weight and ventilation concerns notwithstanding.  Check out our library on "adding RV batteries".

So after reading the part about the emerg. start i learned what it was, so that brings me to ask why can't I start my motorhome without pushing the emrg. start button and my battery is brand new?

Whoa! that was quite a leap.  From adding batteries to emergency start.

Tell us what happens when you try to start the mh.

I know sorry about that there was just a paragraph about it in the battery guide, and that helped a lot thank you. Ok so when i try to start it with out the emerg. start the parking brake light flickers and the motor just acts like there is not enough power and when i push it it fires right up. I just purchased the battery and when i hit them with the meter they were all full.

I would suggest, as a first step, that you remove, clean and tighten all the cable connections to and from the starting batteries.  Have the batteries load tested while they are out. 

And just to be clear, are you sure you replaced the engine starting battery(s). It/they are separate from the house battery(s). 

Anyway, the fact that you need to use Aux Start switch says that either the starting battery is low on voltage or the wiring between it and starter is corroded or partially broken. That's not an unusual problem in an old chassis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom