Adding Reverse switch to Fantastic Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

Woo Hoo!!  I figured out how to make my Fantastic Fans into reversible models ...and the first one just cost me $3.98 plus some wire and butt splices!!! 

We have three Fantastic Fans, and none are reversible models ...don't know if ours were too early or Winnebago just skipped that feature. Two of them have every other feature I can think of except remote control, but no reverse.  I finally decided I had to have a reversible fan, and being too cheap to totally replace the control module for $$$ and change, I put my farm boy creativity to the test.  After a little internet research, I found a local Radio Shack and bought a 10-amp capable DPDT Toggle swith with a Center Off position. Using wire and butt splices I had on hand, after an hour or so of tinkering we now have a reversible Fantastic Fan!!!  Now I need to find two more of those toggle switches so I can upgrade the other two Fantastic Fans!!  ;D

If you want all the gritty details and some pics, you can check out a full write-up on my webpage at http://www.pjrider.com/FantasticFanReverse.htm

Do you have the power lid raise-lowering, and does the reversal affect this?
If it weren't for the power raise/lowering this "upgrade" would be even more simple ...you could just wire the switch into the main power and ground wires going to the entire fan. But since there is one motor for the raise/lower funtion, and one for the fan blower, you have to tap into the wires for the fan motor itself. Those wires are AFTER the connection for the raise/lower motor.

I learned about the raise/lower polarity when I upgraded the commode room fan from the non-power raise to the powered raise.  I found out the fan itself was wired backwards so I had to reverse the wire connections to the raise/lower motor so it would work correctly.  :)

To add to what afchap said, with most fans that have an electric raise/ lower  function, there is often a mechanical switch wired in series with the blower motor that prevents the blower from starting unless the lid has been opened at least a bit.

Thanks very much for your instructions. I just completed this for our 1998 Dodge Roadtrek Class B. The price for the switch from Radio Shack was 24 cents,

Thanks afchap. I also installed the switch today per your instructions. Works like a charm. And a thanks also to Jonathon Clement for bumping  the old post so it caught my eye.
Al

Back
Top Bottom