Advantages of a 5th wheel over a TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vito55

Generally, what are the advantages, if any, of a 5th wheel over a travel trailer/ The downside, that I see, in a 5th wheel, is that basically you end up with a truck that is pretty useless for anything other than pulling your camping trailer. The upside seems to be the extra space over the hitch area, and the lower risk of bottoming out when hitting a dip in the road. What should I know about 5th wheels that might make me want to move up (?) to a 5th wheel?

Nothing tows like a fifth wheel: stable, tracks straight as an arrow, no sway. You might even forget it's back there.

I wouldn't say the truck bed is useless with a fifth wheel. I kept my tool box up front and low profile items on either side of the hitch. Larger items, like kayaks, are a challenge.

HappyWanderer said:
Nothing tows like a fifth wheel: stable, tracks straight as an arrow, no sway. You might even forget it's back there.

My travel trailer behaves the exact same way.  It's all about your hitch setup and adjustment, the way you load your trailer, towing speed, and having a truck that is correctly sized to the load.  In 5 years, I've never had an ounce of sway out of my trailer.....and I can still bring my bikes, generator, and a half cord of firewood home from the mountains.  Also don't have to remove 150 lbs of hitch to haul drywall, plywood, bags of concrete, or my neighbor's new dresser home from the furniture store.

I had a fiver before.  I got over it. 

Attachments

• truck and trailer3.jpg
    truck and trailer3.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 40
All of that said....

A fiver gives you more storage space.  It tows better in heavy crosswinds.  And you can typically only buy a higher end unit configured as a fiver.  Downside is you need a truck with more payload for a given trailer weight due to higher percentage of pin weight.  And, of course, your truck is worthless for doing anything else without removing the ginormous and heavy hitch. 

It probably comes down to what floor plan you prefer.  The truck can still be used like a truck,just a little more work to remove the hitch. 

I've just completed work on that conundrum ! I opted for a Travel Trailer. Although I have never RV'd and this is our fist time, I believe with the correct hitch ( and having it set up correctly) the trailer will tow just fine. I have ordered a propride 1400 for the trailer. I liked the interior of the TT better. My unit is 31 ft. My 31 footer has more room inside than my neighbor's 32 foot 5th W. True, the bedroom in his 5er is larger, but my living area is larger.

I also like the idea of not having that conglomeration in the back bed of my 250.

My .05

I have had both a tt and 5er and had 2 trucks one for pulling the boat and one for the tt or 5er all at the same time. It boils down to personal preference. A 5er is taller so more head room if you a tall person, also more storage and generally they are higher end but not always. The hitch thing is also subjective my hitch is simple to move - comes in 2 pieces and 6 pins no big deal. When having 2 trucks at the same time which we had. Yes its easier not having to remove the hitch but how often do you really need too. The 5 er has a genny built in and we only take enough firewood for the trip we are taking.

As for pulling - with today's technology on the trucks its also personal preference. They all have anti sway etc etc

I have cars i use for dailly driving around town but if we are going out somewhere nice for dinner etc we take the truck

Floor plan still wins. I just can't not stand the idea of my bedroom being 3-5 steps up from the living area. My knees don't like steps, and I think they wouldn't like steps for middle of the night trips even more. Fifth wheels do provide more storage generally, but they are also taller. We will keep our travel trailer, and if we can't handle the hitch any more we will get a motor home.

Many very good points!

FW is more stable in crosswinds because the pin sits over the axle.  A TT in wind can push the truck around because of the leverage between the ball and the TT axles.  With that said, properly set up, this can become a non issue.

A TT places about 10% - 12% of its' total weight on the tow vehicle (TV) hitch.
A FW places about 20% of its' total weight in the bed of the TV.
Obviously, for a given weight camper, a FW requires twice the payload of a TT, and thus usually a larger truck.

The Andersen Ultimate FW hitch only weighs 37#, making install and removal as easy as a receiver hitch for a TT.

If the TV is the proper size, either will tow with minimal effort.

THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in choosing a camper is FLOOR PLAN!  Make sure the floor plan will  work for your family in all circumstances, including a rainy day, dinner, evening reading or watching TV, sufficient room in the water closet (toilet room), shower, and bedroom.  Does it have all required amenities?

Only you will know what works best for your situation!

We went round and round on the "which RV question"... I mean full circles several times...over several years. Ultimately, two factors drove our decision to buy a TT.  Most important was that having a truck bed with a canopy top provides lots of extra storage space - both when the TT is in tow and for when it's parked and we're using the truck for adventures.  This also allows us to keep our dog back there vs. in the truck... sport dogs get wet, roll in stuff, and that can make for a stinky drive. 

My take away from this is that there simply is no perfect choice... some just a bit more perfect based on your needs.

Our last three trailers have been TT's.  The one before that was a 5th wheel.  All have pulled beautifully and I never once felt uncomfortable at the wheel.  I prefer the TT because I use my truck for other uses and need to have the topper for storage.  That is what I prefer to do and have been pleased with the results.

Consider the Hensley or Propride hitch for the TT before final decision.
We're in same position of upgrading to TV that will pull a fifth but don't want a lumber wagon for everyday driving.

JP Patches
F150 Eco
Windjammer 3001

Frizlefrak said:
All of that said....

A fiver gives you more storage space.  It tows better in heavy crosswinds.  And you can typically only buy a higher end unit configured as a fiver.  Downside is you need a truck with more payload for a given trailer weight due to higher percentage of pin weight.  And, of course, your truck is worthless for doing anything else without removing the ginormous and heavy hitch.
Agree with most of this except the weight of the hitch.  My 21k reese hitch has the option of taking the head off of it so you end up with two very manageable pieces. 

There's a reason the bigger trailers and semi trucks are 5th wheels.  They are a more stable platform. 
I realize there are some cool hitch setups for travel trailers, but I have never seen one NOT pull to the left as I'm passing them on the right. 
Plus, you better set that hitch up right or you will have issues.  5th wheels are more of a "set it and forget it" set up. 
Today's fifth wheel hitches come apart with the removal of a couple pins.  Once you do that you can easily remove the hitch. 
Fifth wheels have a higher profile and more storage with less sway in crosswinds and while travelling next to bigger vehicles/trucks.
One other thing that is a turn off on TT's for me is the sway control bars that make all kinds of racket while maneuvering through the campground.  I always get the feeling that something is about to break. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom