Advice for Chicago to Yellowstone roundtrip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcmsbsl

My wife and I (late 40's) are driving our new Class C RV from Chicago to Yellowstone in early June. Can anyone with the experience of doing this please suggest a route with overnight stops? Places/things we should see and do? We will have 14 days to complete the trip. We enjoy history, wine, food, local stuff, native american life, national parks etc.  We would like to do the trip in a loop, not travelling the same route home as we did going out.  Thanks a million in advance!! 

Drive straight there and don't mess around with anything on the way. Save a few days for Grand Tetons on the way home. Then drive straight home. There is nothing in between that would be better than what you will see in Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Badlands National Park is good for a drive-through at least. It is also a good overnight spot. Depending on how hard you drive, it might be a good second night. The Black Hills are nice too, and if you want to go farther the second night than Badlands, it would be a good choice. Lots of campgrounds, both commercial and public. Take I-80 to I-29 (Iowa/Nebraska border) to I-90 and keep west. Cody is a good overnight stop just before you get to Yellowstone; lots of history. Do you have reservations at Yellowstone and GTNP? If you want to stay in the park (I would recommend that especially if you don't have a toad), Madison in YNP and Gros Ventre in GTNP are quite nice. They don't have full hookups though.

You will probably be on the road for 3 days coming and going. We lived 5 hours west of Chicago and it took us a long 2 days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MN Steve
Back
Top Bottom