Advice for Newb trip to New England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daddykirbs

Hi, I'm starting on the planning process for a trip to the New England states.  We have 8 people traveling and no experience driving large motorhomes.  Can someone steer me with some advise on what type of motorhome to look at?  How about advise driving in the New England States, i.e. size of roads, where not to go... ?

What kind of RV will sit 8 and not be way big?

Thanks,

None!!! Most of the biggest  ones are designed for 2 or perhaps 4 at the most. Class C sometimes can handle more in many cases but not 8 !!!

Not what you wanted to hear (see), but it is generally the case. You may end up having to pull that pop-up with a motor home anyway!!!

Some of the Class A's have sleeping for eight with a booth dinette, pull out sofa bed, two bunks and a bed in the back, I have seen them..BUT, I sure wouldn't want to be travelling with 8 for any period of time let alone an extended time BUT I am probably too grumpy..

Sleeping... maybe, some 'entertainer' style coaches have that. But what about seating with seat belts etc while travelling?? I haven't seen any ordinary RV's  equipped that way yet, but then I haven't seen that many different coaches either!!!

Some of the Class A's have sleeping for eight with a booth dinette, pull out sofa bed, two bunks and a bed in the back, I have seen them

hmmmm... I was afraid of that.

Our alternative was to pack everyone in the suburban and jump from hotel to hotel.

Ours has seatbelts on the sofa (3) and the dinette (4) plus driver and passenger.  Do a search on class a and look for the bunk model

Ours seats 8, with seatbelts.  Driver and Passenger side front (2), Easy Chair right behind passenger side front seat (1), couch (3) and dinette (2).  There are also two seats on the other side of the dinette (rear facing) without belts, but we don't use those while driving.  We can seat 8, feed 4, and sleep 4 fairly comfortably.  Tank sizes would be an issue for a group of 8, as well as sleeping. 

In New England, off the beaten path, you are going to see a lot of low clearance underpasses, and tight turns.  I suggest a trucker's atlas which would have overhead clearance information.  New England is a great place to tour and visit in an R-V. Lots of quaint little towns, seashore, etc.

We did a New England trip last year, most memorable place for me was Watkins Glen, N.Y.  and the Watkins Glen Gorge State Park.  It's really unique and a must to hike through.  It's in the New York Finger Lakes area.  My wife loved Acadia National Park in Maine and Steven King's house(s).  Be careful if you intend to use a GPS.  Ours had us pulling a TT up a mountain gravel road.  It tried to get us to use a Vermont covered bridge- saw that coming and bailed before it got serious!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom