Advice on attaching items to outside....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaccoonRough

Hello,

I have a 2023 Puma Ultra Lite 12FBX travel trailer.

I want to attach a few things to the outside of the trailer. I want to install an outside tv mount and a Milenco additional security device to the door.

My question involves this.. The siding on my Puma is alum pleated (?) rippled (?)...its not flat. So, I am not sure what he best installation method would be.

I can drill holes through the siding and install these items, but how can I make it seal up good and flush. Is there some sort of sealant or caulk you all would suggest I use to allow me to attach these flat backed items to the non-flat siding and allow them to seal good?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Spence

I have the same siding and we added a swing-away grab bar at the entry door. It came with a rubber backing plate but we also used some Dicor BT-1834-1 Butyl Seal Tape under it to insure a good seal. Be careful locating the things that you mount as anything like what we added needs to be attached to a structural member of the RV and with ours there is a backing plate on the inside and the bolts go completely through the outside wall.

I have the same siding and we added a swing-away grab bar at the entry door. It came with a rubber backing plate but we also used some Dicor BT-1834-1 Butyl Seal Tape under it to insure a good seal. Be careful locating the things that you mount as anything like what we added needs to be attached to a structural member of the RV and with ours there is a backing plate on the inside and the bolts go completely through the outside wall.

Thanks. Yes, I do plan to pass my bolts all the way through the wall and use a plate on then inside for strength. Especially with the Milenco security door lock. I am a bit leary about accidently drilling though something like wiring and such.......but have no idea how to tell whats hidden in there?

You can buy expanding wall foam insulation at the Home Depot places. Might need to trim and clean it up after.

I would try to get waterproof stuff. I would think water migration if allowed could corrode the siding long term. Maybe the foam to fill, undercut and a proper caulking to seal the edge?

I want to install an outside tv mount and a Milenco additional security device to the door.
I am looking at the Milenco website and wondering why you feel that you need it? It might be helpful to secure things when the RV is in storage but remember that windows are also vulnerable.
I am a bit leary about accidently drilling though something like wiring and such.......but have no idea how to tell whats hidden in there?
The best thing is to stay away from any location that is near a switch of any type. Your dealer's service department might be able to help you to avoid that sort of problem.

I've tried the following on different occasions.

I have a voltmeter that has a light that will glow when its next a live 110 v ac wire.

A compass next to a DC wire carrying current will react to the magnetic field.

Some stud finders will indicate a stud when passing over a 110V electrical wire. I'm not sure about 12v
wires.

If the mounting plate spans the ribs in your siding, I would use a 1/2 inch thick piece of polyethylene ( got mine from a kitchen cutting board) to shim out the plate and avoid crushing the ribs. Just cut it to fit between the ribs and use Butyl tape around the mounting holes/edges.

just my $.02 for what its worth.

Safe travels and all the best.

You will have to use the stud finder on the inside wall. Some will detect AC voltage. I don't think there is anyway to find the DC wires without using a circuit tracer.
There is very little if any magnetic field on a DC wire.
1707437943749.png

A compass next to a DC wire carrying current will react to the magnetic field.
There is very little if any magnetic field on a DC wire.
gwinger - If that was true, then DC motors could not work... As 1stimerver says, 'carrying current' makes that possible, open the motor circuit then it would not work (or the compass react).

class dismissed (I think it was Gr.4 or Gr.5 science we learnt this)

I assume this is for a road worthy RV that is being towed and used (vs the many questions we get from people living stationary in an RV forever). Do you have a rear ladder, that makes a good place to mount an antenna. You would have to get creative making some brackets but its doable.

From the looks of the locks, they are going to require wood reinforcement added inside the wall to mount them on.

Charles

gwinger - If that was true, then DC motors could not work... As 1stimerver says, 'carrying current' makes that possible, open the motor circuit then it would not work (or the compass react).

class dismissed (I think it was Gr.4 or Gr.5 science we learnt this)
Big difference between a straight piece of wire and a motor.
The motor has multiple windings and a core, "stator", that creates the magnetic field (electromagnet).
Hook a piece of wire or multiple turns of wire only to a battery and try to pick up a paper clip.
Then wrap a piece of steel with multuple turns of wire and try it again.
1707505756725.png

55 years of electronic experience.

Odweb was right, the compass worked for me on my TT, and my voltmeter tells me where the 120 V ac lines are.
For the DC voltage to work you need to turn on your lights, etc. on to use the compass (ie: have current running thru the line.. ;)
Safe travels and all the best.

I am looking at the Milenco website and wondering why you feel that you need it? It might be helpful to secure things when the RV is in storage but remember that windows are also vulnerable.

The best thing is to stay away from any location that is near a switch of any type. Your dealer's service department might be able to help you to avoid that sort of problem.

Thanks. Yea, I am going to go back to my dealer and ask. Your right, they prob will have an idea at least.......maybe the service dept will have schematics. That would be ideal.

As for the extra security. I plan to live in mine for around 6-8 months after my house sells and before I retire. Once I retire I am moving from my current area to Kentucky.

I dont really care about any property I leave in my camper but I am going to have to leave my dog in there while I am gone. I figure any extra security I can "Show" and make visible will at least persuade anyone from gaining entry.

But, your right. If someone wants in it, they will get in it. But, then of course I will hunt them down, I promise you that. I will have cameras on the approach for license plates and around the camper (I have plenty of game cameras). Just trying to make it as secure as possible to maybe make it, "Not worth the effort" and protect my dog.

I assume this is for a road worthy RV that is being towed and used (vs the many questions we get from people living stationary in an RV forever). Do you have a rear ladder, that makes a good place to mount an antenna. You would have to get creative making some brackets but its doable.

From the looks of the locks, they are going to require wood reinforcement added inside the wall to mount them on.

Charles

Yea, I am going to actually use some 4 x 10 metal plates (Painted to match the inside wall) to reinforce them. Wont make it impossible to overcome, but they will work for it.

My only issues is really making sure there are no wires in the wall to drill through and sealing the outside holes in the siding. Around the door frame, its unlikely, but who knows.

I believe I have had some great suggestions and answers to these questions here.

Why always a retort?
I was referring to your statement and the compass 'trick', not trying to pick up a paperclip.

All my life breathing; but am no 'expert' on lungs.
And you were talking about learning about the way a motor works in grade school

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom