Advice on purchasing a fifth wheel- first timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpripstein

Hey everyone! So we are looking into fifth wheels and my boyfriend and I really like the Forest River Sandpiper (specifically 355RE and 35ROK), the price is great the windows on the sides are huge so you get great light and the features seem to be great for us since we will be full-timing. Does have any bad experiences wit this model? Also there are so many different brands out there if you can recommend something similar from one of the other RV companies that would be comparable for us to look out. We don't want to overlook a potentially great brand. Also one of the dealers we spoke with told us that you can't get a generator with the Sandpiper...is that true?

My advice: (1) Look past the eyewash and key on the quality of construction, esp important if you will be fulltiming. (2) Get the floorplan you like and look at storage capacity (but don't bring too much junk...you'll never use it all.) (3) Don't get a tow vehicle until after you decide which fifth wheel you will buy so you have enough to tow what you get. (4) Don't take off full time until after you stay in the RV for a long enough time to check out the systems and work out the kinks. Get the warranty stuff fixed before you leave full time. (5) Generator is not that important depending on where you intend to go. I used to carry one in my truck but never used it. Haven't carried one in years but then we don't boondock.

BruceinFL said:
My advice: (1) Look past the eyewash and key on the quality of construction, esp important if you will be fulltiming. (2) Get the floorplan you like and look at storage capacity (but don't bring too much junk...you'll never use it all.) (3) Don't get a tow vehicle until after you decide which fifth wheel you will buy so you have enough to tow what you get. (4) Don't take off full time until after you stay in the RV for a long enough time to check out the systems and work out the kinks. Get the warranty stuff fixed before you leave full time. (5) Generator is not that important depending on where you intend to go. I used to carry one in my truck but never used it. Haven't carried one in years but then we don't boondock.

What do you mean by eyewash and key on quality of construction? I have never heard that phrase before. Thanks for your advice! I am currently trying to sell and de-clutter my life as we speak. We like the floorplans of the Sandpiper but its hard to get an honest opinion on the quality of construction based on the fact that we mainly talk to dealers and they are after all trying to sell.

Dual pane windows - big difference in heat, cool, SOUND.
All the insulation they offer
Heat pump instead of just A/C's --- 3x the heat for the same amount of electric
even southern Texas was cold this year - as in 1 mile north of the Rio Grande river

"Look past the eyewash" -- all the glitz, glitter and gee whiz -- most of the appliances, fixtures, lights are "low quality" bargain basement stuff.

start reading here - https://www.google.com/search?q=forest+river+users+group

The wife and I have looked for years and finally decided on a new Fox Mountain 235 5th. It's not for full timing, but that's not what we are going to do. Why Fox Mountain? It's built by Northwood who makes the Artic Fox line. These are well built, all season trailers that will be comfortable in the cold and heat. The construction is solid and after looking, and looking and looking, we found a well built unit that is very affordable (33,500) and we like the floor plan.
Their are many floor plans that look great, but if the quality of your unit is lacking, how much will you spend for repairs? You can see the quality in the cabinets, appliances, the features and design.
Google top RV manufactures and check out their products. If your going to go full time, I am sure you are going to want a quality built trailer with a high insulation value.
And yes, find the trailer before you buy your truck. I made that mistake once before and learned my lesson. Also, do not trust the salesman at either dealership. They want to sell and that's it.

hpripstein said:
What do you mean by eyewash and key on quality of construction? I have never heard that phrase before.

Eyewash is the stuff they put in to catch your eye so you don't look behind the cabinet doors to see the shoddy construction and/or lack of quality control. Look behind the cabinet doors, drawers, etc.

Don't be afraid to look at used trailers in addition to new ones. Many times you can get great deals on a unit that is several years old. This allows you to buy a unit that you might not be able to afford when it was new but can get a great deal on a used one. Good luck with the purchase and your future life.
John

You did mention a 35' (15000lbs.) trailer so you should have in mind a pretty big truck too, something like a Ford 350 or 450, Diesel or Gas, Dodge 3500 etc.  depending on where you will be travelling. Since you will be full timing, will you have a choice in staying out of colder areas in winter??

These questions may affect your choice and budget!!!

Forest River is a very large producer of RV. The lines run from low end starter units to the Cadillac models. It is all in what you can tow and afford. Look on Forest River's site at the one you are looking at and it looks like a very nice RV. We have a Columbus by Forest River we purchased last year. We have been very happy with it but there have been a few factory type things to fix. You will have this with any RV. The stuff has all been minor like loose lights that came off on the first trip. I assume since you are looking at the Sandpiper you are towing with a smaller truck. If you have a good size truck take a look at the Columbus line. I am towing with a F350 with the V10 and tows like a dream.  Happy RVing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom