Advice on Using My TT's Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifercks

I have only used the oven in our TT once -- and I burned the pizza crust beyond recognition!

My observation is that the pizza pan was very close to the flame, so I was thinking d'oh -- move the rack up and get a heavier-gauge pan. But -- there isn't much room to move the rack up. Like, maybe an inch at most.

So far, we mostly get by without the oven just fine and I've read several on here who say an oven is a waste of space (and right now, I tend to agree!). But, when the grandkids come, they would like to bake a dessert (like brownies or cobbler) and they definitely would like to bake a frozen pizza. Any suggestions or tips for using this for a better outcome?

Thank you!

Yep alot of people put a backing stone or even a large clay tial in the floor of the oven to help disputes the heat

I got a glass baking dish about 8x8 and cook biscuits in it.  Bottoms are a little more done than I like but they will do.  That's the only thing I have cooked using the oven.  I haven't found a pan small enough for pizza.  I had not thought about stoneware though!I believe Pampered Chef makes a small pan that would probably fit.  Might have to cook a pizza a half at a time!

Google Air Bake Pans and you'll find a few.  I used to buy them in Quartzsite but haven't found them there recently.  I did buy a jelly roll size online for use at home.  These are two-layer baking pans with air between the two layers.  The problem is finding ones small enough for RV ovens.

ArdraF

Most of us who use the oven put a pizza stone or an unglazed clay tile on the shelf just above the burner (that is a shelf NOT designed for baking dishes the flame is right under it.

Mine is a pizza stone from Kitchen Collection or rather two halves of one.. Makes a big improvement.

I may add a 2nd stone some day (Since the one I have did the splits on me).

John From Detroit said:
Most of us who use the oven put a pizza stone or an unglazed clay tile on the shelf just above the burner (that is a shelf NOT designed for baking dishes the flame is right under it.

Mine is a pizza stone from Kitchen Collection or rather two halves of one.. Makes a big improvement.

I may add a 2nd stone some day (Since the one I have did the splits on me).

John, you say unglazed tile. Are they available at the big box stores and why would it make any difference? Glazed or unglazed.  :eek: ::)

Ditto on the baking stone, but they can crack from vibration during travel. We wrap ours in a towel. Since you have to look right at it to light the pilot, we're not worried about forgetting and setting it on fire.

Also, pick up an oven thermometer. There's no guarantee that the oven temperature control is anywhere near accurate.

I use my oven a lot. Baking stone, as mentioned is hugely important as is an oven thermometer. I just use high quality aluminum pans I bought at kitchen stores since they have lots of sizes.

whiteva said:

I looked at my oven and that stone would fit perfect. The only thing is on mine there are a series of 3/4" holes down through the top along the front edge and both sides. These holes allow the hot air to circulate around the oven I believe. Does your have these holes and could it be a problem if the stone covers them? The only way the heat could then circulate would be along the front between the shelf and the door. .

Do not block the holes, they are essential to heat circulation, could warp components.

My stone is about an inch smaller all around than the oven so there is lots of room for heat circulation. Besides, mine broke early in my travels and there is another open area right down the middle ? ! The circulation doesn't have to be right where the current holes are, but you do need some.

Rene T said:
John, you say unglazed tile. Are they available at the big box stores and why would it make any difference? Glazed or unglazed.  :eek: ::)

Glazing can outgas toxic fumes if heated too cooking temperatures.

Double check the unglazed tiles at Home Depot and Lowe's, make sure there are no added chemicals for water resistance or such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom