Advice please...Need a lightweight travel trailer that sleeps 6-8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karrots

Tricky, tricky, tricky...so we currently have a Honda Odyssey 2006 that pulls our Fleetwood Utah pop-up trailer.  We have us two parents and four kids and occasionally two grandparents who all love our camping/travel adventures.  We've had both vehicles for years and loved them, but on our last trip we had an accident (ie forgot to wind up the roof before plugging in the power and someone had left one of the lights on...which could have burnt everything down but given we only had it like that for less than 10mins we just have massive canvas and plastic damage).  Anyway, we've been thinking about getting a new car to better suit us now that the kids are getting older (6-14yrs old) and are thinking we'd like to get a travel trailer rather than a pop up.  We're planning WAY ahead, and considering the new Audi Q7 2017 once its available used, but still need a lightweight travel trailer that easily sleeps 6-8 people.  I'd love bunks for the kids, but it kind of looks like the bunks are only available in the heavy-weight trailers.  I also love slide-outs since that's what we're kind of used to, but want sleeping spaces that don't have to be completely reworked every time we transition for the night/day.  Am I out of luck???

Happy Trails,
K

I suspect you'll need a truck, rather than the Audi, to tow much of a trailer, especially if you want to sleep 8. Be sure you use the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the trailer for towing comparisons, and check the sticker on the vehicle for it's tow capabiliy. The "dry weight" is a useless figure, unless you go through more hoops to calculate.

Note that a safe towing weight involves more than just will it get the trailer moving. You also must consider braking and handling (including emergency maneuvers, strong gusty winds, etc.) and how much weight will be in the tow vehicle, including people, coats, dogs, toys, suitcases, or whatever (which subtracts from available weight for towing).

Yeah, based on my searching on this same topic a couple years ago, I'd say you're pretty much out of luck.

You are in a sticky, almost niche market segment.  They make plenty of TT's with several different layouts of bunks that can sleep big families but these trailers are on the bigger end, and there aren't really any large family tow vehicles out there that can handle them.  A crew cab pick-up is the go-to answer but they only seat at most 5 or maybe 6 (do they even make a bench seat version anymore?)

I have a crew cab pickup, that I used to pull our popup.  My kids are still small, and then they were even smaller, but I found (and still do when I tow our boat) that the back seat gets full quick with three kids + the few things that want to ride in the cab (snacks, toys, etc...).  4 kids won't even fit.

That puts you into full sized van territory, but those have a bit more limited towing capacity than a pick-up.

Suburbans make a nice large family tow vehicle, but now they are only available in 1/2 ton so the TT size options are still a bit limited.

It is really hard to beat a popup for maximum bed space in a small package.

Thank you for your replies!  I may just have to stick to the pop up then, since it seems to be either people or trailer, not both.  I would have really loved a TT this time around.

Figure out your towing capacity and then do a lot of research into trailers.  There are hybrid travel trailers and traditional travel trailers (TT) that should meet your needs.  Try searching bunk house travel trailers.  Bunk houses usually have BH in their alphanumeric description like 18BHxxx or 21BHxxx.  You will probably want to stay away from things that take up space and add weight like outdoor kitchens.  The more towing capacity you have the more options but you should be able to find something.

As others have said, you are in a tough spot.

To see how much ANY vehicle can tow, find the yellow label on the driver door B pillar.  It states, the maximum weight of cargo and passengers shall not exceed  XXXX pounds.

Add together the weight of all passengers that will be traveling in the car.  Add for any cargo, snacks, games or other things in the car.  Add 80# for a WD hitch.  The difference between this number and your max weight is the most tongue weight the car can handle when loaded.  Assuming 10% tongue wt, multiply this number by 10 to get the maximum GROSS WEIGHT, or GVWR of the camper.  I fear you will be very disappointed  with the Audi numbers.

Do not trust ANY advertised tow ratings.  They do not apply to well equipped vehicles, only bare bones models.

One option, if you camp relatively close to home, is to get a camper / vehicle setup that is safe with only 2 or 3 people.  Take one vehicle to pull the camper and one to haul the people.  This gives you many more options for the camper and tow vehicle.

We're "newbies" who recently went through a similar search as the one you're on. 

There are numerous hard-sided "bunkhouse" models out there in the 21-23 foot range, 3,000-4,000 lb dry weight, with one "camper queen" bed, two bunks (some of them possibly wide enough for 2 young children in each), and a table that pulls down into a bed. 

We went with a 3,000 lb dry weight Winnebago Micro Minnie that we have enjoyed very much so far. 

It was quickly apparent to us, though, that for our usage/needs, we needed a better tow vehicle.  I was driving an XTerra at the time with a 5,000 lb towing capacity.  It was getting the job done tow-wise, but...as the more experienced posters have stated...you have to consider the weight of people/dogs/gear/etc.  We didn't have a lot of safety margin "wiggle room", and it was generally a pretty bouncy ride down the road. 

We looked into SUVs, but the sticker prices nowadays were way out of our league. 

Our solution?  A full-size van.  Half the price of a less tow-capable, full-size SUV.  Fits everyone comfortably...no more lifting dogs in and out of an SUV end gate...plenty of room for our gear...happier kids during longer trips...smoother tow...and the V8 hardly works to pull the camper around anywhere.  I know we'll miss the 4WD at some point, but a recovery strap plus $30K+ saved makes a big difference to us at this point in our lives. 

Good luck in your search!  This is a great forum with lots of nice people who are happy to help...hope you find something that works for you! 

I always liked the tents that were in the Harry Potter movies--small on the outside but really large on the inside.  Just takes a little magic!    :)

My wife and I raised six children and always had a gas or diesel Suburban or full size Van to pull our toys.

The most important key is the proper rear end ratio for towing heavy toys. -----> http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/understanding-axle-ratios/

Attachments

• Picture105.jpg
    Picture105.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 12
We have a Jayco Whitehawk 32BHBS (1/2 ton towable)

It has a private queen bedroom (sleeps 2),  full size bunk beds (sleeps 4), a fold out loveseat (sleeps 2) & a table that makes a bed for little people. It sleeps 9 if one's a child. 

Because the backroom is shut off & private, it gets hot so opt for the 2nd AC.  . We paid $32k in 2015 & it's worth $25k now. Here's the specs..

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)                          7150
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)                                          755
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs)                    8950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs)                            1800

Exterior Length 35' 11"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 134"
Interior Height 81"
Wheel Base 267"

Fresh Water Capacity (gals) 42
Water Heater 6
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 22.5