AIMS 24v to 12v step down converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, come on Gary, do the math then (I know I can't). I need up to 88 amps, 40 amps continual, for 30 seconds. What's the smallest battery that I can get away with?

There is no way to answer that without detailed and specific battery data. Neither the CCA rating nor the 20-hour AH or RC ratings are sufficient by themselves to evaluate. The problem is that battery power delivery is non-linear (Puckert's Law), so you can't extrapolate from one load to another. 40A for 30 seconds is a mere blip in terms of amp-hours, but still a substantial current draw that needs a lot of plate area.  At a guess, that 200 CCA motorcycle battery you mentioned is probably in the ball park. They would typically be only about 12 AH, so not much staying power though. If I had a bit more room, I would opt for a small car battery instead, with maybe a 400-500 CCA rating and perhaps a 50-70 AH capability.  Better to have and not need than to need and not have, right? We aren't talking much space or price difference.

One of the largest motorcycle batteries, e.g. for a Honda Gold Wing 1800, might give enough extra margin, though. I think they can be had with ratings in the 300 CCA & 18-20AH range. Here's an example:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX20L-Battery.html

I'm agreeing that a car battery is probably best. The smaller battery would likely work, but if I confront a situation where the slider has to be consecutively opened and closed a number of times, I'll be out of luck.

I was faced having to fit the battery through a kitchen drawer opening, but I'm going to put it next door under the sink instead. And luckily I have both a completely shot Optimas battery hanging around and a YouTube video on how to revive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slqd73ZOQvI

I assume I should connect the slider motor ground to my frame even though my primary bank's ground is also attached to it? 2 separate batteries, same ground?

Attachments

• 20170104_114611.jpg
    20170104_114611.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170104_114631.jpg
    20170104_114631.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 6
Just for the sake of argument, I'll note that nearly every motorhome has two 12V systems that may work independently or together. Perhaps a bettrr method of limiting current if desired. Just sayin! Solid state relays are $10 -25 or thereabouts if source selection is an issue.

A common (frame) ground for all batteries is just fine.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom