Air Bags on F250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stepmd

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to prepair for the purchase of my first 5ver. I have a 2006, F250, PSD, short bed, SRW, heavy duty tow package. From the owners manual it says total weight Truck / hitch / cargo / trailer = 23000lb . I think the weight of the truck is about 6500lb, the hitch about 150lb so I am figuring I would be safe with a 14000lb 5ver. Does this sound about right? How does the installation of air bags on the rear of my truck effect tow rating or does it?

Thanks for any help!

This is just my opinion so take it for that. I have a dealer near me that says no problem to tow that rig just add air bags, this helps keep the overloaded truck level. I would say air bags are not required when towing the proper load. Make sure that a) the ready to roll weight of the truck when combined with the empty pin of the trailer is less than the truck GVW. Do not estimate the 6500# of the truck, the manafacturer usually states the weight with the smallest gas engine not the heavey diesel and trans. Go get the ready to rol weight at the dump, truck stop etc. b) the weight from a above combined with the trailer axel load specs do not exceed the truck GCVW (23,000#). so if the trailer has two 6,000# axels then that is 12,000#.
To continue the example;
   Truck     6500 (include driver and passenger)
   Hitch       150
   Pin        2100 (Est)
   GVW     8750

Trailer    12000
    GCVW   20750

Since you said the truck was a diesel I would recommend that you add a exhaust brake to the truck if you plan on hauling heavy loads.

Nelson

Stepmd said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to prepair for the purchase of my first 5ver. I have a 2006, F250, PSD, short bed, SRW, heavy duty tow package. From the owners manual it says total weight Truck / hitch / cargo / trailer = 23000lb . I think the weight of the truck is about 6500lb, the hitch about 150lb so I am figuring I would be safe with a 14000lb 5ver. Does this sound about right? How does the installation of air bags on the rear of my truck effect tow rating or does it?

Thanks for any help!

It sounds like you are in the park, but keep in mind that that 14000lb figure would include the GVW of the 5er, not the empty weight.  I would recommend weighing the truck with a full tank of fuel and whatever else you plan to load in it on a "normal" outing.  That'll let you know what the truck really weighs.Use the rest of the figures as Nelson pointed out to then find out what you can really do.

As for the air bags, they do not affect the tow rating at all.  It only levels out the truck some, as you noted.  It could also help the ride, but that's about all.  Good luck.

Thanks for the input ! I had a '97 F250 before this truck and I had air bags on it. They did seem to make the ride better and the one time I towed a 5ver with it ( someone elses ) I could adjust the pressure in the air bags and that made a big difference in the way the truck handled. Also the air bags would adjust for any side to side shifts.

Thanks Again !

I have a set of Firestone or had a set on until I installed the hitch in the bed and they were great when I did use them with the onboard air compressor so I could adjust as I drove. Problem now is trying how to get them mounted through the frame plates for the 5th wheel hitch and the frame itself. As noted it will only help level and possible change the comfort of the ride but will not increase towing capacity of the trucks drive train, tires, and suspension.

I think you are a little low on the truck weight. IMHO, based on my previous F250, I believe you will find your fully loaded truck (pax, fuel, hitch, junk) closer to 7100-7250 lbs.thin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom