Air Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoadwayJester

I'm going to be buying a bumper pull camper towards the end of the month and want to make sure my truck is ready for it. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi and tow package, Long Bed Quad Cab. From what I can find I have a payload of about 1800lbs and a tow of about 11,800 lbs. The camper is around 6,400LB dry.

I know I can tow without putting air bags in the rear but I have heard it doesn't hurt to have them and might be better overall to have them. Thoughts on doing it?

Dry weights mean nothing. What is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer, probably somewhere about 9000 lb. Take the GVWR and multiply by .13 (13%) and that will be the approximate max tongue weight you will see. Subtract that number from the 1800 lbs ( which is on the yellow sticker in the drivers door jam) and that will tell you what you can carry in the truck after you hitch the trailer.

Set the truck and trailer up first with a good weight distribution and anti-sway hitch and then see if you need additional suspension help.

Charles

You might do some more research on the truck. My Ram 1500 crew 5.7 is rated at just under 9,000#.

The was a ram Vin lookup site but they took it down.

You may be right but my sense is above 10,000# you are in 2500/3500 territory.

Our Ram Tradesman 2500 4x4 Crew Cab with a 6.4L has a 1,446 lb payload capacity due to a factory installed off-road softer suspension and lift. It's still a much heavier built 3/4 ton truck versus our 1/2 ton. Towing capacity of our 2500 is 10,000 lbs. It has an approximately 300 lb topper on it. We tow a 9,995 GVWR TT. The 4-point Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch levels it out and it tows in complete control. The Load Range E 35 inch tires on the truck helps with the stability also. No air bags.

Last edited:
You're close on your payload capacity, but your towing capacity is dependent on your rear axle ratio, which 5.7 HEMI you have (the straight V8, or the Etorque), and whether or not you have 4x4. It will be between 8440# and 12,750#.

Attachments

• RAM1500_CARD.pdf
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 0
I don't think rear air bags will do much (if anything) for you. First of all, it doesn't really change the rear axle capacity (GAWR) and that and the tires are the main limits on payload. And they do zero as far as the tow rating - that's a function of the drive train strength (tranny, axle gearing, etc).

As others have said, forget the trailer dry weight and work from the trailer GVWR. The trailer tongue weight will (of necessity) be 10%-13% of the actual loaded trailer weight and that's the weight the truck has to carry in addition to whatever passengers & gear is onboard. If you estimate 10% of the trailer GVWR as the loaded tongue weight you will be close enough, but you should get the rig on a scale once you get it and put all your stuff inside.

At a guess, you are probably looking at around 9000 lbs loaded trailer weight, so 900-1000 lbs of tongue weight. That's half or a bit more of your payload, so you are probably ok if you don't have more than two adults in the truck and not much heavy gear in the box.

If the back of the truck squats noticably, then add some Air Lift 5000 bags To level it. If. Not needed, then save your $. You’ll be fine either way.

If the back of the truck squats noticably, then add some Air Lift 5000 bags To level it. If. Not needed, then save your $. You’ll be fine either way.
All air bags do is level the body of the truck, they do nothing to alleviate the weight on the hitch/axle or to transfer weight back to the front axle. And as a rule-of-thumb, if the weight of the loaded trailer in more than 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle, a weight distribution hitch (WDH) is called for.

I doubt your payload capacity is 1800 lbs? Is that what the door decal.capacity states or some brochure number?
I think 1800# is feasible for that truck. Although I will say that the OP stated that he has a "long bed", and from my understanding that truck only comes with either the 5'7" or 6'4" box, neither of which are "long beds". I have the long bed, at 8'2".

1800 is high for a 1/2 ton but possible a big horn is not a base model which lowers payload
I had a ford 1/2 ton xl extended cab 8ft box with 2000lbs payload but it was a special order work truck

All air bags do is level the body of the truck, they do nothing to alleviate the weight on the hitch/axle or to transfer weight back to the front axle. And as a rule-of-thumb, if the weight of the loaded trailer in more than 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle, a weight distribution hitch (WDH) is called for.
Correct On the wdh and air bags. If his truck is rated to tow almost 12k and his trailer is half that, then he should be fine with or without bags. A wdh is generally a good idea and sometimes a requirement.

I doubt your payload capacity is 1800 lbs? Is that what the door decal.capacity states or some brochure number?

I was told that by the dealership when I purchased the truck. Since I'm the only one in my friend group with a truck, payload and towing are important. Free southern home cooking and drink anytime my truck is needed!

Correct On the wdh and air bags. If his truck is rated to tow almost 12k and his trailer is half that, then he should be fine with or without bags. A wdh is generally a good idea and sometimes a requirement.

Ah ok. I must have misunderstood about the air bags then. The dealer I'm buying my TT from is including a WDH in my purchase.

I was told that by the dealership when I purchased the truck. Since I'm the only one in my friend group with a truck, payload and towing are important. Free southern home cooking and drink anytime my truck is needed!

Ah ok. I must have misunderstood about the air bags then. The dealer I'm buying my TT from is including a WDH in my purchase.
You don't need to rely on the dealer to tell you your payload capacity, your GVWR (the total weight it is allowed to weigh) and your payload/cargo capacity are listed on your door pillar. You are going to need a WDH. If your trailer GVWR is more than 50% of your truck GVWR, use it. Your payload/cargo capacity will include everything you put inside the cab and in the bed of the truck, including the weight of the trailer hitch, and since that is going to probably be upwards of 1000# that deducts a lot from your total of 1800#, if that is what you have.

I have a dealer-installed WDH but the rear of our tow vehicle still sags more than we'd like. Can air springs be used in conjunction with a WDH or is it a one-or-the-other scenario?

I have a dealer-installed WDH but the rear of our tow vehicle still sags more than we'd like. Can air springs be used in conjunction with a WDH or is it a one-or-the-other scenario?
Air springs, or air bags? There is a difference. Air bags only level the truck's body. Air springs actually replace the springs of the suspension and are parts of the original equipment package on some trucks. Either can be used in conjunction with a WDH.

Are you sure your WDH is adjusted correctly? If so, and you still have squat you either need a larger (higher capacity) WDH, or yes, you could use airbags to level the truck. Keeping in mind that airbags only level the truck's body and do pretty much nothing to take the weight off the rear end.

I didn't realize air springs and air bags were two different things, I only found out about them yesterday. We are under our vehicle's towing capacity by a comfortable margin, but it's also an older vehicle that we need to try to get a couple more years out of. The main concerns are to not ruin the suspension and to get the headlights pointed back down to the road.

I guarantee your dealer did not set the WD hitch up correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom