Air Conditioning: How Loud is Too Loud?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loringsontheroad

We have a new 2012 Fun Finder by CruiserRV. It is 21.5 feet. Although we have only used the air conditioning a few times, I had noticed it seemed extremely loud. When bringing our TT in for service for another issue, I asked the service department to please check the air conditioner; they told me it WAS extremely loud and made some adjustments. About a week or so ago, we used the a.c. again since being serviced, and it still seems loud to me. As our one year warrantly expires nexr April, I want to make sure we get all the adjustments needed to our TT prior to then.  I know sound is personal perspective so this is the best way I can describe it. If we are watching TV and the normal sound level is 18; we have to raised the level up to 30 or a little more to hear it, if the air conditioner is on. Now, I realize, when we are watching TV in our main living area, the air conditioning unit is directly above our heads, so  the amount of noise we have may be normal. (in our bedroom area, which is in the front, the noise decreases a bit) If this is what is normal, I can certainly live with it (we don't use the a.c. all that much anyway) But, I was just curious - not having a basis of comparison. Does this seem normal, given the location of the unit and the size of our TT?

I would use a decibel meter. Only $20, then you will know how loud it is, then if you can write the manufacturer to find out how loud it is supposed to be, you would know for sure if it's within specs.  I know they have this spec on generators, not sure if it's available on A/C units.  So if not, you could ask another camper, or check units at a dealer, if you could measure the noise level of their A/C for comparison.  I would want at least three comparisons before I really get noisy about getting mine repaired.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B001THX3M0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347811074&sr=1-2

You also may find a cheap one at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc..

Most of the noise inside the RV is air rushing through the ducting (or out the grill if not a ducted model). I doubt if the a/c manufacturer has a spec on that - just for external noise. Try it with just the fans (no cooling) and see if is just as loud.  There isn't much to be done about fan air noise.

What brand of a/c is it? Some manufacturers have a alternate air grill. It's for more rapid cooling, but it probably has a different air flow as well.

How can any tech adjust the noise output from an air conditioner?
If its 110 outside and you are cool inside- what noise? These units are plug and play- you could opt, at your expense, for a new penguin.

I think what you might be experiencing is the fact that you are in a very small camper with a low ceiling, there just isn't much of anywhere for the sound to disapate.  Granted, there "might" be a problem with the AC but I'm thinking that you are just in very close proximity to the unit when it's running.  Do run it with just the fan and see if there is any difference.

As far as the tech "adjusting" the sound level, they might have tried to stuff some insulation in the open spaces of the unit to dampen the sound, if they did, obviously it wasn't as effective as they'd hoped.

Small trailer: air conditioner right over head: sorry to say but unless you get a longer trailer with the air conditioner thats not directly over your head you are pretty much stuck with the noise; you might try putting the fan on low speed that may help a little. I have a 34 footer and have a rear air conditioner that I run in the day time to keep the noise level down.

I do think that he needs to compare his air conditioner to others in a similar RV.  I have two duo therm air conditioners.  The back one is nice and quiet.  The front one is the exact same model and is very noisy.  The motor and squirrel cage make a much louder sound.  I replaced the motor and it was quiet for awhile, but now it is again noisy.  I guess it could be several things, blower bearings, out of balance, poor isolators that mount the motor.  He might want to insure that it is not just air flow that is making it noisy.  Mine cools fine, but I am about to replace it because of noise compared to what I know is a much quieter one in the back. 

I rely a lot on my dealer to answer my questions and take care of the problems I have, especially while still being under warranty - since I don't have a tremendous amount of knowledge. I am learning, though. When I brought my TT in, they did however, corroborate my feeling of how extremely loud it was. (I am not by nature, a complainer) They did talk about getting a  squirrel cage (not sure what that had to do with the loudness) and then told me that the manufacturer had been using a new kind of coolant and that somehow had some relation to the loudness (don't ask me how) At any rate, I am a realist and I do understand that the size of my TT, the location of the a.c. unit definitely would have a bearing on how much noise we have. I kinda figured that and that's why I asked. Just trying to confirm some of my own conclusions. However, definitely will try some of the suggestions given. Thanks RV community!

Some of the newer Dometic a/c's changed to many plastic parts and they seem to be much louder than older versions. I've heard that changing the fan blades (that's the "squirrel cage" he is talking about) can reduce vibration and noise, but have no personal knowledge of that.

I don't see how a different coolant can make more noise, but it is conceivable that with certain coolants (actually, the term is refrigerants) the compressor has to run longer to get the job done. That makes the noise last longer. In any case, you can't change it - the a/c is designed to use one particular type of refrigerant.

loringsontheroad said:
I rely a lot on my dealer to answer my questions and take care of the problems I have,

^^ Hey I just found your problem!  ;)

I understand your position, but the fact is that dealers don't know the answers to these things either.  They are guessing.  Many of the people at dealerships probably don't own RV's either, they just sell them... so you'll get less accurate information from them than you will here (which is why you're here, I'm sure).  Obviously you'll need to go there during the warranty period, but take their suggestions/explanations cautiously.

Back
Top Bottom