Air leak around patch on air mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leahkb

I moved my couch and chairs around in my 5th wheel, which didn't work anyway. Then we went camping about a week later. When I inflated our sofa air mattress, I heard this hissing sound. Sure enough there was a puncture in the mattress on the material side(top). We was afraid nothing would fix it, and so far I'm right. We used the repair plastic adhesive it came with first, that didn't work at all. Then bought a heavy duty repair kit at the hardware store. Thought that would work, but the air slowly leaks out during the night and you find yourself on the metal bars. Not good. Any ideas for fixing the hole so that air doesn't leak out. HELP!
Leah

Yes. Get yourself a small bottle of contact cement with an applicator brush in the cap. Swab around the hole to seal the material fibers, then patch as usual. You could even make your own patch from a piece of denim or other heavy cloth by brushing several coats of the cement on one side only. Don't saturate it so it comes out the bottom surface, and allow sufficient time to dry before applying the patch - it should be dry to the touch.

We patched one of our air mattresses with contact cement and duct tape several years ago and it's still holding.

Thanks, those ideas sound alot better than buying a new one. We have spent enough money for now.
Leah

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom