Air leak around tire valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyoung

Hello folks,

Here is the newbies... I just bought used 2014 Winnebago Vista a month ago but still it is just parked in front yard due to tire leak.
Front passenger side tire keeps leaking and I?ve found tire valve is the leaky point.
I bought a new tire valve and changed it but it?s sill leaking embarrassingly.
When I brought this tire w/ rim to tire center near me, I was told this is not their service area.
I?m quite new here in US and have no idea where I can get help in this case.
Any good ideas for this case?

Thanks,

If it leaks slowly enough, just drive to a tire shop and have it fixed,,if the stem is rubber , it can be replaced easily .>>>Dan

A tire center that services passenger cars and light trucks isn't equipped to service larger RV tires.  You will have to find a location that sells and services large truck tires, they will be able to help you.

Utclmjmpr said:
If it leaks slowly enough, just drive to a tire shop and have it fixed,,if the stem is rubber , it can be replaced easily .>>>Dan

yeah it leaks slowly 20psi per week. but it has a clamped truck valve.
The problem is, even after changing new valve, it still leaks...

Thanks Dan.

Lou Schneider said:
A tire center that services passenger cars and light trucks isn't equipped to service larger RV tires.  You will have to find a location that sells and services large truck tires, they will be able to help you.

You?re right. It seems that they?re not familiar with clamped truck valve.
Thanks Lou.

If it is a truck type tire take it to a "Truck" tire store.. I do not know where you hang out but in Detroit Belle Tire stores have 2 or 3 Truck Centers (Taylor and Redford are the ones I Know of)

Next time you are in a full service gas station WITH TOW TRUCK ask him who does his truck tires.
Or many Truck Stops have tire service ...

You can also look in ye old yellow pages for a MOBILE truck tire service.

I had the same problem a few years ago and went to a local truck stop.

They said it was a fairly common problem and had to replace the entire valve stem assembly.

That should be an O-ring seal between valve stem and wheel. Newer O-rings seldom fail, but corrosion in hole in wheel can be problematic. Hole needs to be cleaned thoroughly ( I usually use Emory clothe and lightly touch it up), lubed, and stem tightened properly. If the stem has the nut on the outside of wheel, you might try to tighten it..

I forgot to mention that if aluminum wheel, I?ve seen a few over the years that will crack at the valve stem hole. Crack usually easy to find after light sanding, but I?ve seen people put in two or three valve stems before finding crack.

jubileee said:
I forgot to mention that if aluminum wheel, I?ve seen a few over the years that will crack at the valve stem hole. Crack usually easy to find after light sanding, but I?ve seen people put in two or three valve stems before finding crack.

I live in upstate New York and there are a couple of truck stop tens of miles away from home.
I?ve realized they work only weekday when I got there last Saturday...
I think I need to check corrosion and crack on my own.
BTW, do I have to change the wheel if it has a crack around valve hole?

Really appreciate all of you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom