AirVenture 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

I assume we've got some aviation enthusiasts in here, who's going?

I'm considering going, and biting the bullet to get there early and get an improved site with electric.  That said, I thought they were first come first serve when registration opened on June 28th?  Though I looked online and it looks like there's an online registration open now, though it doesn't say if any electric sites are available...yet.  Not really sure when the online registration opened.  Is it possible you have to reserve an unimproved site online and then when you show up you can get improved if it's available?

Who's stayed in Camp Sholler before?  Anyone got any recommendations about a good area to try to get to?  I'll have my 5er and TV, but imagine I'll use the bicycle to get around the grounds. 

Anyone add any other good info about the process/experience at EAA Camp Sholler?

Thanks!

I flew in to OSH a couple of times in the 90s, but I stayed in Camp Scholler in 2012, and chose the 24 hour generator area (I needed the air conditioning). Of course electric was even more scarce then than it is now. Do consider what happens if you get heavy rains -- some areas can get so muddy that you'd have to be towed out, though that usually dries up after a day or two. There are shuttles of one kind or another roaming through most of the camp, making it relatively easy to get to the Airventure entrance. And there are lots of trams on the field itself, so you don't have to walk ALL of the time.

I don't know much about the reservations or the electric sites, other than that they are few.

They?ve supposedly expanded electrical sites quite a bit recently.

Thanks for the info. I?ve flown in once, been there probably 8 or 9 times for ?work?. We used to rent houses for those trips.

We were there in 2011 and like Larry we just parked in the 24 hour gen area. As Larry said if it rains it can get real messy. It rained while we were there. It wouldn't have been bad except some kids in a couple of 4wd pickups decided it would be fun to go mudding. Really made a mess of the roads. They took off before security got there. They had to bring in tractors to scrap the roads.

There was one MH I guess just had to leave, they wound up pulling him out to the pavement with a tractor. We just waited until the next day and left with no problem. It seems to dry out fairly quickly.

I didn't try for an electric site so I can't help you there. If the online registration is open I'd try to make your registration now.

Enjoy the show. Wish I was going.

We've been twice and both times stayed at the Sleepy Hollow farm. It's adjacent to the site and about a 1/2 mile walk to the gate. Water and 50A included.

Ernie

Does anyone recall if the electrical service at Camp Sholler is 20, 30, or 50a?

I've looked at Sleepy Hollow Farm, I just have to imagine they're beyond sold out...but I guess I should do my due diligence and call...

They have greatly expanded the water and electric sites.  Here is a map

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/AirVenture/PlanYourTrip/Camping/2019CampSchollerMap.ashx

A planning page

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging

I can never remember how to make the above links ... sorry.

We are planning on going this year also.  As mentioned it always seems like there is at least one good rain storm and it can get muddy on the "streets" laid out in the campground area.  And as someone said it will usually dry out pretty  quickly, but can be messy.

Larry, you would hardly recognize it now ... fills up all the way down to the exit at the south end.

There are buses that run to and from the campground, bicycles are a great way to get around also.  We plan on taking a golf cart again this year.  Not a necessity but certainly helps us ole guys get to and from the gates, over to the nightly movie, etc.  Once inside on the grounds there are trams going up and down the flightline. 

Howard

Thanks. The links worked.

I?ve been reading them, but I still don?t see any where the level of electric service available. I?m curious, if it?s just 20a service available it might not be worth it.  You could buy a basic site and use the difference to get one of those little Honda generators...yes, you would need a pair to run an A/C.

I couldn't find anything either ... as there are a lot of new sites I would guess those are 50 amp, but don't know.  Sent them an email asking for info.  I'll post the answer when I get it.

Howard

Thanks Howard.

I looked over at the EAA forums and couldn't find it either.  I'm waiting approval to post over there as I just signed up.

Howard R said:
I couldn't find anything either ... as there are a lot of new sites I would guess those are 50 amp, but don't know.  Sent them an email asking for info.  I'll post the answer when I get it.

Howard

I got an email back saying they?ve got both 30a and 50a plugs at each site.

See you beat me to it.  ;D

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the email. All water & electric sites have both a 30 & 50 amp hookup.

Best,

Connor Behm #1278007
Membership Services Representative
EAA-The Spirit of Aviation

Phone: 1.800.564.6322
Fax: 920.426.4873

www.eaa.org
www.eaaforums.org

Looks like the online registration for improved sites is now open.

Having never camped there, are all the sites friendly enough for a 35' 5er?  At least in the drawing, some look shorter than others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom