Alaska Decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, they have been using the metric system to package up soft drinks here for quite some time. Not so much with fuel though. Maybe in locations near the border areas, but elsewhere not so much. I am still trying to wrap my mind around the whole kilometer per hour speed thing when I cross into Canada...........

Just remember that 100 on your Yankee speedometer is not the same as 100 on our road signs. ;D  Diesel is around $1.43/L here which works out to $5.53/U.S. gallon, the regional district just slapped another tax on it. The province will be hitting us with I believe a 2 cent carbon tax on July 1. Not trying to scare anyone off but be aware.

Marty,

We had that problem too the first time we crossed into Canada.  I had a "cheat sheet" with english to metric conversions handy.  We just bought a new GPS and I can switch it between english and metric.  My biggest problem is pounds to grams when I buy lunch meat in the deli department.

The first thing we did was calculate the metric to english for low bridges.....that was a must.  We are going into British Columbia on Tuesday.

Marsha~

Marsha,

It is funny, after living for more than 28 years in the States I am STILL trying to get used to this system. The metric system is so easy and try doing fractions in lbs. and oz. compared to metric. No intention to stir up a hornets nest here!

Marie

Marsha/CA said:
  My biggest problem is pounds to grams when I buy lunch meat in the deli department.
Marsha~

Half a kilo is about 1 pound.  That works for me. 

We crossed the Canadian border at Sumas yesterday afternoon.  Weather wasn't good for paragliding, so we are now in Prince George, heading for Dawson Creek.  We've traveled a lot in BC, so won't be doing much sightseeing until we get further north.l

Jeannine

Thanks Marsha, I too will have a cheat sheet handy for most of the conversions. Jeannie, we will be crossing at Sumas in about 3 weeks or so. Be right behind you.....

We'll be crossing into Canada at Sumas also.  Maybe I should make a sign on the US side that says:  "RV Forum members cross here"..... ::)

Marsha~

Jeannine said:
Half a kilo is about 1 pound.  That works for me.

454 grams to a pound, 25.4 mm to an inch etc.  Google is your friend unless you majored in Chemistry 60 years ago.  Somethings you never forget even if you wished you could!  ;)

we are on way to Alaska. stop at fort nelson. diesel is $1.44 litre. Roads have been good so far. Looking for all of you going up. Driving frieghtliner truck with a 40 ft. newmar toy hauler. This is our 2 time up with this rig and trailer. Been raining here since yesterday. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom