ALASKA- "Just the facts, Ma'am"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marty, we had some mechanical work done in Tok that involved welding.  The fellow did a very good job at a reasonable price.  Hope you'll be as lucky as us!  Still enjoying your log.

ArdraF

One other little story from my trip on the 30th. Darwin is alive and well in Canada. The first time was when we were climbing some mountain grades about half way to Watson Lake. We were pedal down pulling a pretty good grade at about 45 MPH approaching the crest of the grade with a blind curve to the right.  There was also a light rain falling making the roads just a little wet. As we rounded the curve I could see brake lights from a MH in front of us. To this point we had not been too close to any vehicle in front of us.  I got on the brakes in a hurry and slowed the rig in time, and as we pulled up we could see another rig in front of him also stopped.

At first I thought that maybe there had been a crash or something as I couldn't see the front of the line. The front vehicle was right at the crest of the hill and both MH's had their emergency flashers on.  Then the front MH started to pull to the left of the double yellow line, a risky maneuver at best.  Then the next MH did the same. As I pulled up I could see the source of the problem.  Some IDIOT pulling an Airstream trailer had pulled half way off the road, opened his door and was leaning out across the hood to photograph a bear grazing on the side of the road.  Not only was he endangering himself from oncoming traffic, he put all the people behind him in danger that had to cross over the line to pass him. 

Thinking that we had seen the heights of stupidity, we were wrong. About 50 miles later we were back out on the flat road and cruising and watching the scenery go by. I see in the distance a Motorhome pulling a toad had pulled off onto the shoulder and stopped.  It was not by much, but enough to be out of the traffic lane. As I got closer I could see someone standing on the opposite side of the road on the shoulder.  As I drive past I see the driver of the rig, an older guy probably 65 - 70 on the shoulder with a large camera on a tripod, taking a picture of a bear, not 50' away.  The wife was standing behind the MH with here hands on her hips.  I guess she was waiting to recover the camera after the bear, probably 400+ pounds finished eating the husband. 

Unbelievable. I guess some folks spend too much time watching Disney movies.  Signs and flyer's posted everywhere warn against stopping to view or photograph the wildlife.  Some folks just don't get it.   

AHEM! :mad:

Watch your language, especially around here,  buddy!  :eek: :( :mad:

older guy probably 65 - 70
  Now that's just wrong!

Otherwise, really enjoying your trip reports! ;D

Don

gmsboss1:
Boy....! i'm with you.
It was the way I seen (heard) it "older guy probably 65 - 70".
Aw...., but that's how I once looked at things.    I enjoy Sarge's reports too much to go beyond these words.
But....., I'm watching....,  eh reading I mean.
Ya hear that Sarge?

Those young whippersnappers just don't show any respect for their elders.

Sarge...your posts are great! We're planning our Alaska adventure for 2013...about 2 1/2 to 3 months. We have a Roadtrek RS Adventurous, so we won't have a toad with us....  You're a great writer. Keep up the good work. I'm holding my breath for each installment!  And have a ton of fun, too....SaltyAdventurer (Susan)

PS We live in Colorado and the young'uns and the geezers do the same dumb things here...they feed the bears and leave garbage out cuz they think it's "cute" when the bears come in to eat...really dumb!  Oh well, there will always be really stupid people in this world...

SaltyAdventurer said:
Sarge...your posts are great! We're planning our Alaska adventure for 2013...about 2 1/2 to 3 months. We have a Roadtrek RS Adventurous, so we won't have a toad with us....  You're a great writer. Keep up the good work. I'm holding my breath for each installment!  And have a ton of fun, too....SaltyAdventurer (Susan)

Have to "" DW. :)

OOPS! Sorry folks! I guess I should have said "not a young guy".  I could almost understand some young dumb guy doing something like that.  Usually when we get a few miles on us, we get smarter.  But when a guy with a full head of snow white hair chooses to stand that close to a wild bear, I am just dumbfounded.  I have nothing but respect for all of those who have "been there, done that". 

That's the one place where the Japanese people have it all over us as a culture. The older generation is respected, even revered. We tend to look at them as over the hill. I strongly disagree.  :mad:

I promise to do better! ;D

Well, Downtown RV park in Watson Lake worked out OK.  Not a garden spot, but it was close to everything (stores, entertainment, and the Sign Post Forest).  It is one of the spots that the caravans use for a pit stop, so the place is busy. The guy that runs it is known as the "Crazy Scotsman". A local character I guess. The park itself is a dirt lot with hookups, but it works for what you need. Not ADA accessible though. There is nice park across the street with a large lake that has a walk way around the entire lake. It about 3km all the way around. Diane walked Heidi around it a few times and had no issues. 

We pulled out the same time as the Caravan again today. And as usual, the first part of the drive was spent hopscotching slower vehicles. I don't speed, just set the cruise at the posted limit, 100 kph (62 mph) but a lot of the Caravan folks are happy at 45 -50 mph.  The Caravan stopped at Teslin, so after we passed that spot it was free sailing.  The Telus aircard did not work at all in Watson Lake. There was plenty of cell signal available, but the aircard would not connect. The campground did have WiFi, but as usual, the more folks in the campground, the slower it got.  I was able to get Direct TV on the roof mounted dish. The elevation was down to 18 degrees though.

We pulled into Whitehorse about 2 PM and easily got a spot. We picked the Pioneer RV park due to reviews on the rvparkreviews web site. The park has diesel and gas available at pumps when you first pull in right across from the office. So I went to the pumps while Diane went to check us in. The diesel price was $1.33 liter ($5.03 US gal).  If you were staying in the park as we were going to, you got a .03 cent discount per liter so it came out to $4.92 a US gallon.  Then we paid for a 2 night's stay with Good Sam discount that came out to $27 a night for full hook ups.  Couldn't get Direct TV here though, the park sits low off of the road and is surrounded by tall trees.  The bathrooms and the laundry room has ADA accessible ramps. However there are about 1 1/2 thresholds to get over to get into the facility.  There are no ADA specific spaces in the RV park, but the ground is flat and hard packed gravel. 

The park also has a nice RV wash available with two spray wands and a wash brush. Three minutes is one Loonie (one Canadian dollar coin). It is on a cement pad with a nice wide drain in the center. I choose to spray down the rig and Jeep before we went to the site to blow the mud off. It had just finished raining so the rig was caked heavy. I didn't scrub it down, so now it just looks like it needs washed. Before it was horrible.  The cardboard tape job on the Jeep window is still holding up I was happy to see. There is a Jeep dealer here in Whitehorse that I am checking to see if they can to the window repair. If not I will wait until Alaska.  The Telus aircard is back working like a champ, so no campground WiFi to deal with here, although they do have it.

Sometimes we create our own problems, as I did recently. I wanted to re-calibrate our Power Gear hydraulic leveling system as it was not setting up level when I deployed the jacks at a campground. I downloaded the instructions from the Power Gear web site on how to do it. After going through the steps which were not difficult, I finished up only to learn that I did something and now the air bags were not dumping when the jacks were deployed. I fooled around with it, but could not get it working right. I sent an e-mail to Power Gear and they got back to me pretty quickly. They gave me the right combination of steps and now all is well with the levelers again. 

Here is a few pics of recent happenings. The sign post forest in Watson Lake was pretty cool. One of the signs that I did find was from LAPD, Newton Division where I did probation so many years ago. And the ill fated Jeep window.  And we aren't even in Alaska yet...

Attachments

• P1000413.JPG
    P1000413.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 69
  • P1000418.JPG
    P1000418.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 62
  • P1000424.JPG
    P1000424.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 65
  • P1000429.JPG
    P1000429.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 58
  • P1000432.JPG
    P1000432.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 60
  • P1000428.JPG
    P1000428.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 64
Way back in 1994 we were on our way home from Alaska when we stopped in Whitehorse to gas up and get a few things. I filled the MH up with gas and went inside the station. At the counter they had the Anchorage Sunday paper. Since it was Tuesday, I thought I would pick one up and see what was going on in Anchorage and the rest of Alaska the previous week.I put the paper on the counter and the attendant rang  up @ $7.50. I told him that the gas was $37.50, not $7.50. He replied that the paper was $7.50. I told him to keep the paper and paid for the gas and left. I later learned that the paper had arrived that morning by airplane and the price was normal for Whitehorse.
Enjoy your adventure,
Indiana Journey

Marty, take the time to go to the "Frantic Follies" show downtown at the Westmont (?) Hotel in Whitehorse.  Also right across the street on the same side of street is a fabulous restaurant called "Barb-Q and Salmon" something.  The walls are all metal.  Pricey but fantastic.

We are now in Tok, both Verizon and ATT air cards are working great.

Marsha~

Marty:

We support Marsha's recommendations for the Follies and restaurant, we really enjoyed both.

Thanks for the heads up Marsha! We will check out the Follies to be sure. Glad to hear you are doing well, maybe we will cross paths here somewhere.....

You know, stuff just costs a lot in Canada. Diane went shopping a few days ago and bought some breakfast cereal.  $8 for a box of Raisin Bran! Holy crap, how do people afford to eat in this country?

When we went to Alaska the exchange rate was about 30% in our favor and that just about got prices in line with the US. (It killed our Canadian friends when they came south.)

It's almost dead even now. So an $8 box of cereal is $7.99........... :'(

But we have been saving money not eating out. Most of the stops so far have not had much to offer in that area to induce us to try them. But since we are in Whitehorse til Saturday getting the Jeep window repaired, we will be hitting a few local attractions. We stopped by a local brewery yesterday and sampled some of their creations. Wound up picking up a six pack for some home testing. ;D

It's rained for the last two days here though. I can't remember many 4th of July celebrations at home that were rained out!

Sarge, did you look at the price of things in the grocery store when you were in Moab, It isn't so much that you're is in Canada as much as you are in a very isolated area, and they can charge what they want, you either pay or don't buy, thought you American understood the Free Market system.  We've paid anywhere from $3.00 to $5.50 for the same size box of Cherios, both north and south of the border.
    Don't overlook some of those local greasy spoons, many have better food than the high priced restaurants, and all are better than almost any chain.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom