Alaska or Bust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barb said:
Went to the North Pole today.

Frank,
Did you get a "We B Tourin T shirt? We need the Alaska crew to make a showing at Quartzsite or anywhere else we gather together!

Betty

We didn't get to see Santa, but we did buy some we be tour'n shirts  And we've decided to come to qs for a couple of days.  We went to Arctic Circle yesterday (the 8th).  Stopped at the Arctic Circle General Store and got our official you've crossed the Arctic Circle Certificates, in Joy, AK, on the way back.  The AC is on the Dalton Hwy, at MM 115, and the road is in bad condition, with construction.  There's a visitor center by the Yukon River.  Lg pk lot and potties.  Observation deck and information plaques.  At MM 56.  At MM 115 is the Arctic Circle sign at the BLM wayside park.  With picnic facilities and dry camping.  Currently closed due to a wolf who bit a hiker. So we had our picnic in the truck.  The no see ums were bad anyway.  Lots of interesting info on the plaques.  It was worth the 4 hr drive from Fairbanks.  Beautiful 58d sun shinny day.

Barb

Barb said:
We didn't get to see Santa, but we did buy some we be tour'n shirts? And we've decided to come to qs for a couple of days.? We went to Arctic Circle yesterday (the 8th).? Stopped at the Arctic Circle General Store and got our official you've crossed the Arctic Circle Certificates, in Joy, AK, on the way back.?

Oh Barb,
I'm so glad you got "the" shirts and that you will come to Quartzsite.  I'm also glad you stayed in truck for your picnic.  Recall when Terry and I crossed Arctic Circle in Canada we  had to sleep in the car.  But that trip remains a highlight of our travels.  Keep those stories coming!  I love adventures of those near and dear!

Betty

Thursday Aug. 10Th..
We left China Marina Rv Park, and Connected up with Ned and Lorna in Delta Junction.  Took Pics of the end of the highway sign.  And got official certificates at the Visitor Center.  The 4 of us toured the VC, and than hit the road.  Stopped at Gateway RV Park in Tok for a couple of nights. .  All of us went to Visitor Center.  And I hit the jackpot on T-Shirts.  I got my free fudge w/coupon.  That evening we had dinner at the Salmon Bake.  And later that night we have a mini datastorm rally with Bill and Diane Joyce at Ned & Lorna's MH.

Saturday Aug. 12Th...
We stopped at Destruction Bay RV Park for overnight

Sunday Aug.13 ...
We got sites next to one another at Gateway Rv Park.  And we got on line with our own equipment. Our direct tv works also.  We went on a wildlife drive.  We were successful with a mamma and cub, and a sub-adult.  Also several sightings of eagles.  Lorna was driving.  I will be better prepared for sudden stops, so soon as I get my neck fixed. (Just Kidding)

Monday Aug. 14Th...
The 4 of us went to breakfast, and than off to do the town.    We did a driving tour of Fort Seward.  With Ned providing a description of the buildings.  Next off to the Sheldon  Museum.    Very nice museum, about his life, and native American culture.  Bill and Diane arrive today, and the sun was out, and warm, so we had happy hour outside.  We took a drive in the opposite direction of last night, on the hunt for pics of glaciers, and mountains.  Frank, Ned, and Lorna got some great pics, and of course the eagles were the main attraction.
Wifi is $5.00 a day here at Hitch-UP Rv Park, Haines, AK.       

Betty,
We miss you guys

Barb

Attachments

• Lorna & Ned at Delta Junction -End of Alaka Hwy.JPG
    Lorna & Ned at Delta Junction -End of Alaka Hwy.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Haines -2 glaciers & waterfall.JPG
    Haines -2 glaciers & waterfall.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the photos Barb. You're sure up late.

Don,

I believe it's the reader's local time (Your profile has a setting to offset from the sever time; The servers are in Dallas). But now you're making me doubt myself and I'll have to go check  :-[

Tom said:
Don,

I believe it's the reader's local time (Your profile has a setting to offset from the sever time; The servers are in Dallas). But now you're making me doubt myself and I'll have to go check  :-[

I noticed that my post time and yours are one hour faster than my local time but this time of year we're on the same time.

:mad:  :mad:  :mad:  It would help if I had my profile up to date. I forgot to change the offset when everyone else went to DST. I fixed that, now I'm not one hour fast anymore.

Barb said:
? Lorna was driving.? I will be better prepared for sudden stops, so soon as I get my neck fixed. (Just Kidding)Betty,
We miss you guys.

Hi Barb,
When you keep up your reports, it is just like being with you.  However I would not wish this weather on anyone! We have sudden stops too, for potholes!
Betty

Tuesday Aug 15Th.

We woke up to some dreary skies this morning. Ned, Lorna, Frank and I went to breakfast and the sky cleared up.  It was a beautiful sunny day.  Were off to take more pics of the glaciers and eagles.  We went to the Eagle Preserve, and walked the boardwalk.  Lorna is the only who spotted an eagle.  No happy hour today.  We decided to have an early dinner, and head out to get more pics of the bears.  Well, Bill and Diane stopped by.  Than Ned and Lorna came over, and we got to chatting...........And then came the after dinner drinks and snacks.  Before we knew it, it was getting dark out.  Oh well, so much for a plan.  We had a great night.

Tomorrow we are heading for Skagway, with a overnight at Whitehorse.  Or maybe 2 nights........

Great  Food, Great Weather, and Great Friends, Makes for Great Times.
Who could ask for anything more.

Barb

p.s. Frank is the great photographer

Barb

Good report of our day.  As Betty said "Life is good".

Don,

Follow-up ..... confirmed by observation, times posted are the reader's local time.

While in Skagway Lorna and I took the Fjord Express to Juneau.  It was a great trip. We saw Stellar sea lions, whales, harbor seals, and many, many eagles.  Lorna took the tour thru the state capitol, while i got to know her family.  We took a golf cart tour thru the Glacier gardens.  Very interesting, and a great tour.  We went to the Mendenhall glacier.  There is a very nice visitor center, and the 11 minute movie is a must see.  The glacier is spectacular.  Than back to the boat.  Thanks to Lorna's family we had a very excellent day.

On to Stewart and Hyder.  We stayed in Stewart, and drove to Hyder to the Salmon Glacier.  And the wildlife viewing area. There was a beaver building his winter lodge. A couple of blue herons, tons of eagles, and bears.  The road continues on forever after the glacier.  And there is a lot more glaciers and waterfalls to see.

I would grub up before going to steward/hyder, as there are small markets and they are very expensive.

Leaving Stewart, we are now in traveling mode. Today is Aug 29, and we have had three, 3 hundred mile days.  It's our last nite in Canada.  And we honored it by treating ourselves to a FHU site on a lake in Osoyoos, BC, and a wonderful happy hour.

Breakfast in the morning, and than off to Moses Lake for a visit with Gary and Nancy.

We made it through Canada, and Alaska and didn't bust.  What a RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb

Barb

You are right it was a great ride with lots of memories.

Back
Top Bottom