Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty, Terry, Russ, Ned & Lorna,

Thanks for all the great descriptions and photos, we enjoyed looking for your posts each day.

We think that you all have done Alaska as completely as possible traveling by RV and your reports will be an excellent resource for future visitors.

Tim & Jan

Thanks, we have over 2500 photos in all.  I had to order a DVD burner so we can make copies, they are over 4GB in size.  We only put up a fraction of them on the photo gallery.

Hi Brewers, Mahoney, and Reiters!

We too are heading for home after traveling about 12,500 miles.  Just want you to know that we've been reading your logs whenever we've had internet access.  Usually had to read the letters via cell phone connections and then waited to look at photos when we had wi-fi.  All of your letters have been wonderful and we hate to see them end.  Betty, you did a really good job of making everything come to life.  Thanks for your effort.  We really enjoyed all your posts.

ArdraF and JerryF

Betty,

Thanks again for the great travelogue!

Sheila and I enjoyed reading about our trip and revisiting our last trip and dreaming about the next.

Like you I think I reverse the route next time.

See you this fall.

ken

Tim & Jan said:
We think that you all have done Alaska as completely as possible traveling by RV and your reports will be an excellent resource for future visitors.

Tim and Jan,

Thank you for your  kind words.  It was a goal to have some kind of a record that would be helpful to  future Alaskan travelers.  I read the guides of those who had gone before to get a flavor of the destinations. In a few days when I unwind from the trip I am going to start a new thread called Reflections on  Alaska for those who have already  been  to Alaska to list a highlight, a favorite place, a surprise and a disappointment.  So be thinking of those 4 things.  I think it will be interesting as the eye of everyone who travels sees such different things as the most special. I also think one needs some time at home to digest all they have seen. 

Betty

Betty, You are so right.  I've been home almost a month now and I'm still on cloud nine.  I'm really looking forward to your new thread.  Maybe I can contribute a little and most certainly will learn a lot.  Welcome back to the lower 48.  lou

September 10, 2006    Day 110  226 miles to Medicene Hat, AB

Had a good night at this truck scale again. I was here 4 yrs ago, in May. Both times it was not in use and I did not get evicted. Interestingly, harvesting grain was going on in the adjacent field both times. Must have been winter wheat last time and regular type this time.

Royal Tyrell dinosaur museum had a few new exhibits and I enjoyed a 3 hr visit. The town is liberally decorated with dino statues includeing a"world's biggest T Rex at the visitors center. It looms over the downtown and can be seen for miles. Got a pic of a brontosaurus framework with the start of vines being trained to cover it as a topiary.

Next I went down the Red Deer river and viewed some hoodoos in the badlands that the river has carved out. Then on furthur downstream to the dinosaur provincial park in more badlands. This is the most productive dino dig in the world, so they say.

The countryside is great plains, somewhat rolling, with hay, grain cattle and oil wells.

Wildlife: lots of dinosaurs. herd of farmed buffalo. pronghorn antelope. hawk. pheasant. geese. ducks.

The 2ndary and tertiary roads are good quality but are severly lacking in turnouts.

Yesterday, I saw a ad for FlyingJ in Edmonton!

Now Russ, if Betty can't count road kill on her wildlife list, you can't count dinosaurs.....unless they were alive and attacking the coach.

Betty,

Your report of the trip is front page news on our web site with a link directly to this topic.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort it took to prepare and post the reports in addition to sharing the photos.

But Wendy can count loses for the Broncos  My Rams gave them nothing to write home about.  Until 2 yrs ago We were Ticket holds in St Louis.  Way to expensive for my tastes today.

Shayne said:
But Wendy can count loses for the Broncos? ?My Rams gave them nothing to write home about.? Until 2 yrs ago We were Ticket holds in St Louis.? Way to expensive for my tastes today.

That was the most pathetic Bronco game I've seen in years. But don't get too excited about your Rams....they still haven't scored a touchdown :)

They will  Not worried about them  They got too much offensive talent.  But I was impressed about their Defense It's been serverely lacking for a long long time.  But they scored enough points to stop the Broncs

Tom said:
Thank you so much for all the time and effort it took to prepare and post the reports in addition to sharing the photos.

Tom,
I already miss everyone. I am going to start a new thread called Reflections on Alaska as a chance for all  who have made the voyage to comment on  4 things: the trip highlight, their favorite place, any surprises on the trip and any disappointments on the trip. A perspective from others will be an interesting topic I'm sure.

Betty

September 11, 2006    Day 110  592 miles to Portage, MB

Sunny booooring day crossing the great plains. I had overnighted at the tourist info center on the back side where I could not see the no overnight camping signs. Went to bed early, so when I awoke at 5 AM, I got underway. I hate this road as it has inadequate infrequent rest stops.

Made it to Portage la Prarie near Winnapeg and found a nice little roadside park at the edge of town.

rhmahoney said:
September 11, 2006? ? Day 110? 592 miles to Portage, MB

Russel, Russel, Russel,

What ever will we do with you.  That's just too many miles in one day!  I thought we had you trained!

Betty and Terry
Getting  sofa  recovered and heater fixed in Junction City

Betty Brewer said:
Russel, Russel, Russel,

What ever will we do with you.  That's just too many miles in one day!  I thought we had you trained!

Betty and Terry
Getting  sofa  recovered and heater fixed in Junction City

Betty & Terry:

I'll bet Russ had a rash all summer traveling at your pace! ;D

Has Russ been watching Larry the Cable guy on Blue Collar?  Sounds as if he's trying to "get er done"

Back
Top Bottom