Alaska with the Brewer's 06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty

Love the Eagle shots.

I have to mention an incident whilst we were at Homer.

This place has more Eagles than people it seems.

We awoke one morning and looked out the front windshield and saw 2 Eagles standing on the beach around 50 feet in front of us.

Then, we saw a man sitting on the pebbles with camera in hand.

Every time the eagles turned away, this guy would shuffle across a few feet on his bottom.

The birds would turn, he would shuffle - it went on for around 15 minutes.

We chuckled to ourselves as we watched this 'cat and mouse' activity as he tried to get that "perfect" shot.

After about 20 minutes of determined perseverance he was about to lift his camera and shoot.

Just then, a group of 5 campers burst out of their tents and shouted "WOW - Look at those Eagles!".

At which point the birds flew off.

The guy must have been fuming - but we were rolling around the floor in hysterics.

Following Terry's search for the eagles nest, I can just imagine him as the guy on the beach? ;D

Paul

Betty Brewer said:
It does actually take a bit of time and daily effort( work) to do this journal so I really appreciate that people are? reading it and enjoying the trip with us. It is beautiful here!
Betty

Please don't stop, even if it's just a short note and a few pictures. I may never get to Alaska but I'm able to make the trip now with you guys.

Here's one of Lorna's shots of the eagle and one of the bear we saw today as well as one we saw several days ago.

Attachments

• 57-Eagle guarding the nest at Whitehorse.jpg
    57-Eagle guarding the nest at Whitehorse.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Black bear on way from Whitehorse.jpg
    Black bear on way from Whitehorse.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Bear on way to Teslin.jpg
    Bear on way to Teslin.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 58
Day 20  June 12, 2006  Whitehorse to Pelly Crossing Campground along the Klondike Hwy 

Another late start and fuel fill up and we are on the road by 11a.m. Not far out of Whitehorse we turned off the Alaskan Highway to Highway 2 heading North,  which is the Klondike Highway.  Good roads and new scenery today. The roads roll through hills and low mountains with aspen trees and some pine and  spruce.  The aspen and cottonwood trees are all leafing out and everything looks green despite quite a dry spell here.  At one point a sign signals a forest fire occurred in 1998.  I am depressed as miles and miles are burned and I think what a loss.  At the Boreal Fire Interpretive site we learned that  careless campers who failed to completely extinguish their fire caused this fire. Winds whipped the fire into a 45,000-hectare (111,195 acres) fire that burned from July until December.  It burned in the crown of the trees, trapping firefighters (who huddled in the lake for safety) Those fires are not easily fought and spread quickly. But the signs said fires are a natural part of the forest.  It guided me to look at the re-growth that brings new life to the area.  If aspens had any life left at their base they can send out suckers and clone themselves into new trees.  Lodge pole pine trees actually need a fire to reproduce as their seed cones are resin coated and only a hot fire will release them. Forests start again but never exactly as the one before it. Birds were chirping. It takes a spruce tree 80 years to reach maturity.

Next stop was Braeburn Lodge famous because the Milepost said their cinnamon rolls would feed 4 people.  Note attached picture.  We stopped at Five Finger Rapids on the Yukon River for a hike and a look at the most dangerous section of the river that sternwheelers had to navigate.  The book said it was down 219 steps.  Well, it was also quite a distance and in the near 90 degree heat today I was huffing and puffing on the way back up those stairs.  I most certainly burned enough calories to finish off that cinnamon roll. 

We found a large gravel area to pull over for the night and Russ can get an internet signal but Ned and Lorna are not here so Terry and Russ drove ahead in Russ? car and found them up ahead at Pelly Crossing Campground.  So we move.  This is a delightful, no hookup but free campsite. We are on a cull de sac and have not had to detach.  Perfect for one night.  It is right on the river, grassy and beautiful purple flowers abound.  The same flowers were all along the highway.  Mile marker 167.8
Lorna and I walked up the road to The Selkirk Heritage Centre that is a replica of the Big Jonathan House at Fort Selkirk.  First Nation Heritage is the showcase and I spy an antler carving I think Russ may enjoy.  We share a happy hour in Russ? coach and Terry and I head for a much needed shower after today?s strenuous hike.  Dawson City tomorrow.

Statistics:  (a request was made to add GPS coordinates daily so this is now added to daily statistics)
Motorhome Miles Driven: 178  Fuel cost $3.57 per gallon US
Temperature:  High 86      Low 47
Wildlife sightings: 1 dead fox in road. Several seagulls
Camping costs: $0  Pelly Crossing Campground free dry camp
GPS Coordinates:  62.826137 and -136.581109

Attachments

• Five Fingers03 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers03 (Small).JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Five Fingers04 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers04 (Small).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Five Fingers18 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers18 (Small).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Five Fingers06 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers06 (Small).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Five Fingers07 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers07 (Small).JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Five Fingers08 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers08 (Small).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Five Fingers11 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers11 (Small).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Five Fingers06 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers06 (Small).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Five Fingers12 (Small).JPG
    Five Fingers12 (Small).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 73
When I was there getting pictures of that eagle guarding the nest there was a seagull bombing it and it never moved.  I was kind of hoping that it would fly after the seagull so I could have gotten it in flight but no such luck!!!  Earlier in the day when I was driving into town one of the two adults was flying but, alas, can't drive and take pictures at the same time.  That was my first view of an eagle in the wild in my whole life, soooo exciting.  Really am looking forward to seeing many more.

Ned said:
Here's one of Lorna's shots of the eagle and one of the bear we saw today as well as one we saw several days ago.

We get such a late start in the day we think the animals are napping when we finally get on the road.  Russ suggested leaving an hour after dawn tomorrow.  By my calculationss, this would be 4 am.  Not going to happen!
Betty

"But the signs said fires are a natural part of the forest."

A friend of mine, now retired in Idaho, was high up in the Forestry Dept. when he was actively employed.? He explained to me that the emphasis is no longer on forest fire prevention, the way it was 40 years ago, but on forest fire control.? This has only a subtle effect on the average person but a major effect on how the government spends its money.? For example it is why millions are no longer spent on Smokey the Bear advertising.? Not that people are encouraged to create fires, of course.? There is still money spent on prevention advertising, but a majority of that money has been diverted to fire control and to the renewal process itself.  There is much more recognition and acceptance that forest fires have existed ever since there have been forests, and that they are a natural part of the renewal process.

A great book to read that relates to these kinds of subjects is "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton, the same author who wrote "Jurassic Park", "The great Train Robbery" etc.?

"State of Fear" has some awesome research behind it and it dwells on the frequent futile attempts of mankind to "mess with the environment" in misguided efforts to save the environment.? I think Al Gore would benefit greatly from a reading of this story.? ?;D

You guys are going to get to Dawson too soon to see one of its most unique events -  the annual Outhouse Race.  It's in August and it's hilarious as well as incredibly creative.  Oh well.... Dawson is a neat place and you'll have fun anyway. Be sure to drive out to some of the old mining sites and see the huge gold dredges.

Than it's across the Yukon River via ferry, onto the Top of the World Highway and then Chicken, AK!!!  You've got some great adventures ahead!

I loving your blog - i'ts like re-living our own journey!!!

Betty -

Your journal is absolutely wonderful.  It's the first thing I look for when I log onto the Forum.  On busy days it's the only thing I read.  The pictures are so interesting and bring back so many memories.  Thanks for your efforts, they're really appreciated.

Margi

RV Roamer said:
You guys are going to get to Dawson too soon to see one of its most unique events -? the annual Outhouse Race.? It's in August and it's hilarious as well as incredibly creative.?

Gary,
Yes, We will miss the Outhouse races but our plan is to be in  Palmer for the Alaska State Fair (during that time in August  where they grow gigantic vegetables.? We are hoping to get?a huge 100 pound radish for Russ.? ?:)
Betty

Betty,

I can endure  looking at the scenic pictures, reading your blog of all you are seeing and doing, eating my heart out that I am not there.  But you have gone too far with the picture of the cinnamon bun.  Have you no sense of shame ???  How much do you expect us to withstand ;D 

Hi All

Thought you may like to know.....

Santa and Mrs Claus are not at Santaland on Mondays or Tuesdays....even they gets days off.

Of course, you could go when they aren't there, like we accidentally did, and you get to sit in Santa and Mrs Claus's chairs - good for photo.

Paul

UK-RV said:
... like we accidentally did, and you get to sit in Santa and Mrs Claus's chairs - good for photo.

Where's the photo Paul?

;D

I had the digital camera ready but the batteries had died - we will have to wait for Ann-Marie's film to be developed.

Paul

That sounds like a feeble excuse. Spare batteries are cheap  ;D

Betty,

We too are following along whenever we can get hooked into a wi-fi connection.  Who would have guessed when we were in Moab last April that today we would be 4,735 miles from one another and at opposite ends of the continent?  We're at Gaspe at the eastern-most end of the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec province and you're in Dawson City YT.  Isn't this fun!  By the way, we haven't been in shorts since Michigan, but we had a beautiful sunny day for driving out to Gaspe.

Terry we still have satellite TV, but there's no cell phone service here at this campground which is between two towns.

Keep writing and safe travels!

ArdraF

I'm still peeved over the picture of the roll and also at Ned for eating his.  I'm a diabetic and you can't believe how those two things hurt. LOL  Enjoy but keep the pics and verses coming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom