Alaska with the Stocks 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are making my evening.  I love catching up on your adventures.  Keep them coming!  When people ask about what you're up to, they laugh when I start my reply with "Uuummmmm, last I heard they were ........."

P.S.  How did Sherlock like the Pet wash? 

Tim Lassen said:
Looks to me like you need to find some animals <g>...tim

You are so right!  We are ready to get going.  We would like to go to the Wildlife Preserve, but their only time to go now is 3:00, and that's when the FedEx is supposed to arrive.  We want to be here to get it installed so we can move on out.

Dawn said:
P.S.  How did Sherlock like the Pet wash? 
He is in charge of washing himself, just like us.  He likes...chasing the windshield wipers, the big dogs that were next door last night, chasing mosquitoes.  The closest he's come to the pet wash is exploring the shower.

ArdraF said:
You know that HUGE airplane weathervane?  Here's something for you to do on the way back through.  Drive your motorhome there and park under it.  Jerry got a cute photo of our previous Lazy Daze under the airplane and it looks like the airplane is perched on top of the motorhome.

ArdraF

Thanks for the suggestion.  It sounds like a great photo op, and we'll definitely do it if we can get out of here before the rain comes on Saturday.

rhmahoney said:
Are the eagles nesting at the city welcoming sign pullout near the 2nd photo ( of the paddlewheeler)?
We went down and looked today, and we couldn't find anything tall that they would be nesting on.  All we saw were sea gulls.  The river has been so frozen that i wonder if they've come in yet.  Can you send us your photo or a description so we know where to look?  We have lots of time in the mornings.  We appreciate your suggestions.

June 3 DAY 12 Still at Whitehorse, YT

We started off our day looking for any eagles or nests near the SS Klondike, but we couldn?t find them.  It?s amazing how fast the Yukon River is melting, and the water is starting to move a lot. 
We wanted to go to the last museum, The Old Log Church, which told the story of the early bishops of the Anglican Church and the tremendous amount of effort they put into bringing their beliefs to the miners and the First Nations Peoples.  Just one bishop would minister throughout the entire Yukon Territory and half of the Northwest Territory. Two of the bishops spent their lives learning the G?winch language and translating the Bible in their ?spare time?.  One young minister died of starvation and exhaustion after only 6 years here just because life was so rigorous.  Another bishop got lost in the snow while doing his traveling ministry, had to backtrack, used up all his provisions, and ended up eating his boots!  Another one was driven insane by the miners? tricks and rowdiness after just 3 years.
We stopped by the grocery and met a couple whose job it is to evaluate all the parks in the Yukon and Alaska for ?Trailer Life.?  They do this annually.
Our RV part hasn?t come yet, so we?ll explore more tomorrow.

Wildlife Count:  0
Weather:  Mid 80?s
Overnighted at:  Pioneer RV Park

Linda

Good luck on getting your part...It took 14 days to get our mail in the Maritimes.  Over a week to get an EXPENSIVE OVERNIGHT  UPS delivery in Denali, they said they couldn't find us even though there is only one main Hwy & we were on it watching the UPS & Fedex trucks drive by. They finally had to use a contract company to "FIND US".

If you need anything delivered it's best to have it sent to Anchorage or Fairbanks....DHL did manage to find Russ in Valdez.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Good luck on getting your part...It took 14 days to get our mail in the Maritimes.  Over a week to get an EXPENSIVE OVERNIGHT  UPS delivery in Denali, they said they couldn't find us even though there is only one main Hwy & we were on it watching the UPS & Fedex trucks drive by. They finally had to use a contract company to "FIND US".

If you need anything delivered it's best to have it sent to Anchorage or Fairbanks....DHL did manage to find Russ in Valdez.

Dean wanted to get the control board in the inverter installed before we left Whitehorse because we live by electricity.  He told the company to ship it overnight.  They sent it UPS standard.  The company is in Everett, WA.  The package went to Seattle, then Ontario, CA (We assume they got confused and used CA for Canada instead of CN), then to Lexington, KY, then Sioux Falls, SD, and was scanned this a.m. in Calgary, Alberta.  When we first started this process on Monday morning, my comment was, "At least we won't have to wait a weekend because we are in the beginning of the workweek.  I hope we don't beat your record. 

We had read your warning not to have mail delivered in Canada, so we avoided that.  But, we were not prepared to sit on our thumbs here.  If it doesn't get here today, and I don't expect it to, we'll get to see another movie, "Up" or "Night at the Museum 3"--something funny.  One upside...our coach is the most organized it's ever been, and will soon be the cleanest it's been since we bought it new.

The eagle nest is at the welcome sign pullout alongside the river about a mile or two from the Klondike. As you face the sign, you can see the boat off to the right. turn around 180? (facing upstream) and look steeply up.

Attachments

• 00498Whitehorse_.jpg
    00498Whitehorse_.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 45
rhmahoney said:
The eagle nest is at the welcome sign pullout alongside the river about a mile or two from the Klondike. As you face the sign, you can see the boat off to the right. turn around 180? (facing upstream) and look steeply up.
We found the nest and an eagle!  We were previously looking too close to the Klondike.  Then we came home and saw your message and awesome picture.  We may be stuck here for a while, so trying to get a picture like yours will be a fun project. :)

June 4, 2009 DAY 13 Still at Whitehorse, YT

We tracked our RV part and found that it is now in Canada, having gone from Washington to California to Kentucky to South Dakota, and this morning it was in Customs in Alberta. It wasn?t shipped with any priority because they can?t, so still we wait.  We have the best organized coach in Whitehorse, and it will soon also be the cleanest.
We went for a drive to Marsh Lake to charge the RV?s batteries.  We didn?t see any significant wildlife.
We went to the second movie theatre in town to see the new ?Night at the Museum?Battle of the Smithsonian?.  Admission was $9.  The theatre is very old, but the seats were OK, and the film screened well.
On the way back, we decided to stop by the Rest Area and try again to find the eagle?s nest Russ told us about.  It was the only area near the SS Klondike with large trees.  We found it!  Unfortunately, it was not occupied, as far as we could see.  When we came out, we weren?t allowed to turn left, so we turned right and went around the round-about.  As we neared the rest area again, I spotted a bald eagle sitting on a light pole.  (S)he was just supervising the flow of traffic on the Alaskan Highway!  I hope it?s a female and there are babies up there.  Of course, we hadn?t taken the camera with us to the movies, and Dean thought that he?d be gone by the time we could return with it about 20 minutes later.  We?ll try tomorrow.

Wildlife Count:  Many mosquitoes, one spectacular bald eagle
Weather:  Low 80?s

June 5, 2009 DAY 14 STILL at Whitehorse, YT

The saga of the RV part delivery continues.  If we had known more, we might have been able to get our package today.  At about 10:00 this morning, there was a knock at the door.  The RV park hostess brought us a note to call UPS, which we quickly did.  It seems that when a package comes into Canadian Customs and it is addressed to a business (such as an RV park), in order to get Customs clearance, the delivery company needs to talk with you to find out what was inside, and Customs doesn?t release it until you talk with them.  Had we known this, we could have talked with them yesterday or much earlier today (they are at least one hour ahead of us), and we?ll never know if it would have expedited our package.  When UPS crosses into Canada, it transfers packages over to Puralator.  We talked with them, but all they know is that it?s ?in transit?.  We went to their local office this evening after their last incoming delivery, hoping we could pick it up today instead of having it delivered, but it?s not here yet.  There are no deliveries on the weekend.  Locals have told us that when you are expecting something, you get better service if you track things from Day 2 in person, not on the computer, and establish a personal relationship.  Best estimate is that it will be delivered Tuesday, but we will be in contact a lot on Monday, hoping to be able to continue our adventure quicker.
We went to the movies and saw ?Up?, at the same theatre as last night.  Tonight when I told them I needed 2 senior tickets, the price was only $5.  Apparently, last night?s cashier either didn?t hear me or was new, and their prices are not posted anywhere.  We really enjoyed it.
Our bald eagle was hanging out at the same light pole tonight on our way home, and Dean promises we?ll get a picture of it before we leave.
Our ?to do when it?s convenient? list is shrinking, so we are making good use of our time during this delay, but we are frustrated.  We see a lot of mosquitoes, and they join us in the coach.  We?ve been taking two garlic pills daily, and I think they really do work.  Usually I get twenty times as many bites as Dean.  I only have one bite, and Dean has none.

Wildlife Count:  One bald eagle
Weather:  Low 80?s

Linda,

I love reading your adventures.  Tim and I are in Canada and have begun a "wildlife" count.  :D  We are at 2 deer, a couple of pheasant and a 1 chicken hawk.

I understand your frustration with the package delivery.  In 2007 when we were crossing Canada from east to west, just outside of Edmonton a chicken hawk flew into and shattered the driver's side front windshield.  Splintered glass was everywhere and we crept into Edmonton with me on the phone the entire way.  We called the insurance company, Edmonton campgrounds and local glass shops.  It took close to 14 days to get the replacement windshield.  We learned that it sat in customs for several days waiting to be delivered.  Like you we were so frustrated with how slow the delivery process was. 

Before we crossed into Canada on this trip, we sent our Pressure Pro Monitor back so they could see what is wrong with it.  I'm dreading how long it will take to get it delivered.  I don't know which way is the best to have it shipped, Fed Express or UPS.  Or sent to a Buffalo, NY general delivery post office and we'll cross the border to pick it up.  ;D

BTW, we cringed when we saw the Chicken hawk flying over and watched it's every move!

Remember, this is an adventure.  Now you have a story to add to your collection.

Marsha~

Hi Linda,
    Sorry to hear about your travel delay. Sounds as if you are making good use of your time while waiting for the RV part. Did you know that the mosquito is the State Bird of Alaska??  Ha, ha!!!!!  Love your trip reports!               
                                                Bonnie

Dean & Linda,

I missed the nature of the problem with the inverter.  Is it a Xantrex 2000 or 2500 watt one, modified sine wave??  Is the bad board the AC board?  IF so there may be an easy fix if you have the board and are capable of inspecting it for bad solder joints.  There is a relay on that board that tends to overheat and the solder connecting it to the board melts and is blown out.  Resolder and it will be OK to use. 

What happens is the relay is marginal for its application and stuff happens because it is not heatsinked properly.  The relay is fine, it is just the solder joint in most cases.  Xantrex refuses to alter the design even though the relay manufacturer has told them to do so.  The relay is rated for the load if it is mounted properly.  :-((

How do I know, been there, done that and have a spare board with an improved relay to prove it. 

It's a little late now for me to be jumping in with advice, but a similar thing happened to me on my trip to Alaska in '06.
My inverter self destructed in Lusk, Wyoming. 

I visited and auto parts store (several before finding what I needed) and bought a small 400 watt inverter to use for the remainder of the trip.  I had the original inverter replaced under warranty when I returned home.

Lou,

If I read the information down in the messages, they drove the RV to charge the batteries.  If the relay I mentioned is bad, the charger function of the inverter does not work so no charge capability except the engine one.  Not good as you can wind up overstressing the alternator if the coach batteries are way down and the alternator is a small to medium sized truck one, <150 amp or so capability.

Jim, as you can see, I didn't have all the detail.  I was only addressing the point that, in my case, I had an alternative to sitting and waiting for a replacement part.  I circumvented the problem even though it was with reduced capability.

Sure hate to see folks travel plans interrupted with these sorts of delays and stress points.

Marsha/CA said:
Linda,

I love reading your adventures. 

Before we crossed into Canada on this trip, we sent our Pressure Pro Monitor back so they could see what is wrong with it.  I'm dreading how long it will take to get it delivered.  I don't know which way is the best to have it shipped, Fed Express or UPS.  Or sent to a Buffalo, NY general delivery post office and we'll cross the border to pick it up.  ;D

Remember, this is an adventure.  Now you have a story to add to your collection.

Marsha~

Thanks, Marsha.  I usually enjoy writing about our adventures, but I'd much rather write about wildlife adventures (but we'll pass on chicken hawks!).

I don't know how long it is to get to Buffalo, but if it's less than 16 hours away, I'd go directly to USA (Buffalo) to avoid the entire Canadian Customs hassle and delay, so that I could "Pass Go" and keep the $200 in my wallet to spend on adventures instead of staying put in a park.  These pretty summer days will pass all too quickly, and there are places to go and critters to see.

You are right--it is an adventure, or at least it will be.  This is one story I'd like to write "THE END" on and move to writing an exciting story.  Your mishap did remind us that things could be a LOT worse.  Thanks for your good thoughts.

Linda

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom