Alaska with the Stocks 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
August 4 Day 79 Whitehorse, YT
The drive from Haines to Whitehorse was smooth 95% of the time, with occasional small wake-up calls to keep us alert.  I was a bobblehead looking for the bears we had seen when we came into Haines and for bald eagles through the many miles of the Eagle Preserve.  It was an overcast, cooler day, so I thought they'd be out, but they weren't.  Bears 0, Bald Eagles 1

Border crossing into Canada-was easy--just a few questions.

After the first 40 miles, we encountered thick fog, so we had to slow down a lot.  The fog lasted past 2:00 PM; it didn't burn off like it does at home.

Just past Haines Junction, we stopped at the brand new Da Ku Cultural Center.  We were greeted by a sort-of Native guide.  Two tribes, the Champagne and Aishihik, have combined.  This lady was adopted when she was 9 months by a military family in Quebec.  Her drunken mother had abandoned her, her brother, and her sister when their house burned down.  She has had a challenging life since she ran away from home at 13.  She had a daughter young, which she in turn, gave up for adoption.  She feels that she is being blocked form contacting her now 30-year-old daughter because she was adopted by someone in government who is East Indian.  She had two more children, who she raised and are now independent.  Ten years ago, she returned to her tribal family and has been studying to try to learn all the tribal customs and history.  She is trying to re-capture her heritage.  The artifacts were beautiful, but new, like these beautiful beaded moccasins.  (Pictures 1 & 2)  So much of the history has been lost and re-constructing it accurately from bits and pieces of information is difficult.  Many of the skins had been hand-tanned.  They are teaching members the language.  They are teaching men how to make knives and carve the handles and form the blades.  They are teaching some of the cooking techniques.  However, the moose have moved as the weather here has warmed.

They have a tradition that when a girl had her first cycle and passed to womanhood, she was moved to a separate home, separated from the village so she would not hear tribal members talking.  She wore a big embroided mooseskin hood, like an over-sized sweatshirt hood, and her body was totally covered by blankets, with only her hands exposed so she can sew.  Sewing while she was all covered up was all she did for several weeks or months.  Her mother and female relatives cared for all her needs.  Men patrolled the area lest bears be attracted by her bleeding.  This sounded really extreme to me, especially in a harsh environment where they had to struggle for survival.  Of course, none of the girls today do this.

By the time we left, it was 6:45, and we knew that Whitehorse was over two hours away, but Dean wanted to push on.  It was still light when we saw the Takhini Caribou Herd grazing by the side of the road.  Most were shy and retreated behind trees to watch us (Picture 3), while another boldly approached us and went where other caribou didn't dare to go (Picture 4).  There was only one with a rack, and he was blocked by the RV door.  Dean didn't want to scatter them by going outside the RV.

Staying at Pioneer RV--30 amps, FHU, WiFi, Great Cable TV (100 channels) $90.72

Attachments

• IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3173.jpg
    IMG_3173.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3174.jpg
    IMG_3174.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 17
August 5 Day 80 Whitehorse, YT

When we were in Whitehorse at the end of May, we visited the eagle viewing area by the Yukon River.  The previous nest became so heavy that during a storm it fell out of the tree.  So the good citizens of Whitehorse built a platform, and placed a new nest in it (Habitat for Humanity for Eagles).  The eagles have since modified it to their liking. 
We went to the eagles' nest several times, hoping that we could hear them when the eaglets hatched.  But, they didn't--until two days after we left.  I have watched them via videocam that was installed by the power company at the same time they rebuilt the eagles' roost.  Technicians created one blackout period when the eagles procured a chihuahua and were tearing it apart to feed the eaglets.  A spectator today told me that there was a second black-out, of which I was unaware, when they got a cat, also.

I have watched t he eaglets have grow and mature, and I was afraid they would be gone before we could get back to Whitehorse.  So the first place I wanted to go on our first morning here was the eagle nest.  I saw them on the videocam before we left, so I knew they were still here.

Even though I've been watching them about every other day. I was amazed at how big they were when I saw them in person, or "in bird."    They mesmerized both of us.  We knew we wanted to do other things, so each time we stayed only 30-60 minutes, and our photos are from all 3 times we visited them today.  They are all stretching their wings (Picture 1).  The three of them don't fit well in the nest at the same time, and seeing all 3 in the same place at the same time only happened once.  (Picture 2)  They flapped their wings a lot, trying to strengthen and build them. (Picture 3)  After proper warm-up exercises, they took flying lessons. (Picture 4)  They got along quite well, despite almost landing on each other.

Several times, I expected this one to be brave and fledge. Determination was on his face. (Picture 5)  He was in total control, graceful and balanced. (Picture 6)  We had lift-off for the first time. (Picture 7)  But he just went straight up!  Two of the eaglets flew from one side of the nest to the other repeatedly.  In the morning, they called and called to their parents, and we couldn't see or hear the parents.  In the afternoon, when the eaglets were making a terrible racket, I thought I heard a parent call back to them from across the highway, but I couldn't find a white head in the trees.  At our evening visit, a parent did return and sit atop a tree 500' away from the eaglets. (Picture 8)  (S)he never called to them, or even looked over at them--truly a parent who believes in tough love and wants to become an "empty nester."

In between eagle watching, we went to the Jeep dealer.  Our Jeep currently only drives in 4-wheel drive, and we want to use 2-wheel drive, so we made an appointment for Wednesday and added a day onto our RV park stay. 

We got lots of information at the modern, lovely Visitors Centre.  They have a separate close parking lot for RVs on one side of the building.  It has drive-thru spaces long enough for the longest RV with the toad attached.  Amazing!  They were very helpful.

We went to Boston Pizza for lunch.  We remembered their good food from our 2009 visit.  They use prime beef in their burgers, and I can really tell the difference.  And the price wasn't too bad.  First time we've been able to get out for less than $30 in a long time, and it was big enough that I had the other half of my lunch for dinner.

Then I went to Bini's for a pedicure.  A lady I met on the Juneau ferry lives here, and she highly recommended her.  It was heavenly!  I seldom splurge on expensive treatments, so when she said it was $52.50, I was shocked.  At home, with a $6 tip, I pay $25.  Wow, this was more than double!  I was there, I wanted a pedicure, and it sounded wonderful.  She worked on my feet and legs for 2 hours without a break.  She used hot rocks, a lovely soaking solution, scrubs, paraffin, hot towels, and lotions, each one smelling better than the one before.  The nail polish was good quality, too.  I think I'd like to be rich.

Back at the RV, as I prepared our meal, I decided that my legs and feet smelled better than our dinner.  Henry, you have to treat Margaret to an appointment at Bini's--5th & Ogelvie.  She'll love you even more!

Staying at Pioneer RV--30 amps, FHU, WiFi, Great Cable TV (100 channels) $90.72/3 nights

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 14
August 6 Day 81 Whitehorse, YT

We drove our to the eaglets' nest.  Two were snoozing in the nest and one was almost asleep on the rim.  So we moved on.

Next stop was their unique Apple Store.  It is privately owned, not Apple-owned, but the owner is licensed by Apple.  Otherwise, people would have to drive all the way to Edmonton.  He was very helpful, and got Dean's e-mail I-mac account fixed in less than 10 minutes--just a matter of information that Dean needed because it's a new computer, something to do with I-cloud.  Then he let Dean use his phone to call Earthlink, saving us over $100.  EVERY TIME we hit the road, we have to contact Earthlink to get my e-mail to work.  Dean's earthlink e-mail works every time.  Anyway, it's supposedly fixed now.  But, I'm looking for a new provider.

We went to Earl's for lunch--much more expensive than BP yesterday, and I didn't think it was as good.

Then we spent 2 hours driving out to McIntyre Creek on Fish Lake Road.  I had heard from  at least two people, plus the lady at the Visitors Centre, about the large number of  bald eagles and birds, and "lots of bears."  We drove 20 miles round-trip slowly on a good gravel/dirt road.  We saw about 5 mallards.  Booooooo!

A neighbor of ours who was in her late 30's passed away, and we needed to get a sympathy card.  We drove to the Visitors' Centre, and they recommended Shopper's Drugstore, where we got a supply of 5 good sympathy cards.  I figure that having our supply of sympathy cards should guarantee all our friends good health.

We stopped by the eagles' nest again.  No action.

I'm baking sympathy brownies tonight.  Our neighbors here are Pioneer are from Sylmar, California, and they are having more than their fair share of troubles.  And, he hasn't even gotten to Alaska yet.  He came to fish for silvers at Valdez.  He got a hole in his radiator from a large rock on the road, just after crossing the border.  No telephone reception.  He had to detach his toad and drive many miles to a phone.  He got a flatbed to come winch his motorhome up.  They got there at 7:00, and it was way after midnight when they arrived here.  Because it was so late, they parked him outside the repair shop instead of inside.  Good thing!  Because, during the night, his wife smelled smoke, and they were able to get their motorhome moved just before the fire engines arrived.  The building burned to the ground.  So, he needed a new repair shop.  Freightliner has too much business.  They fix big rigs first and will only do RVs if they get all caught up.  A guy has been boondocking outside Freightliner for a week with no idea of when they'll get to him.  Our friend did find another shop to fix him, but the part has to come from Oregon.  It's supposed to come next Monday.  We know what a nightmare waiting for parts in Canada is, as they are totally disorganized and don't use tracking numbers.  A group named Puralator does the deliveries.  You just wait and wait while they repeatedly screw up and never notify you.  And, Customs have to actually speak to you when it comes to Customs, so you can tell them that you are a private individual.  Eventually it does arrive.  We feel so sorry for them, and we count our blessings that it isn't us.  It could be--we drove that same road.

We had another beautiful 70? plus day.  But......When we came home tonight, it started pouring and it has continued--enough so I hope it will clean some of our bugs and juice off our Jeep and motorhome.  We are also hearing loud thunder.

Staying at Pioneer RV--30 amps, FHU, WiFi, Cable TV  $90.72/3 days

August 7 Day 82 Whitehorse, YT

We had to decide what we wanted to see in our limited time, and we chose the Yukon Provincial Legislature & Cultural Center because we'd already see the Whitney Museum, which was quite interesting, last time. 

In 1953, the capital moved from Dawson City to Whitehorse.  Although it appears very new and modern, the building is 37 years old.  It cost $10.8 million.  The government has grown considerable in size, so they have to house many departments in other locations. The capitol looks like an office building; it doesn't have a dome or ornate lobby.  It does have a 24-panel acrylic resin mural above the foyer, which is one of the largest in the world.  The scenes show the history of the Yukon. (Pictures 1, 2, 3, 4)

This painting is done by a world-famous Whitehorse artist and depicts the mountains, trees, snow, and people of the Yukon.  (Picture 5)

When we walked into the legislative assembly chamber (LAC), the large, bright, modern tapestry "Fireweed" stood out because it was done in such bright colors--100 of them!  The artist dyed the wool herself.  She spent 1,400 hours and used more than 90 kg of wool--most of it hand spun.  It is supposed to depict the natural resources and landscapes of the Yukon. (Picture 6)

When the Yukon became a separate territory in 1898, they were governed by a federally appointed Commissioner and council.  Shortly thereafter, Yukoners began electing their representatives to the council.  In 1979, total government was turned over to the Yukon.  The Commissioner no longer sits with the cabinet, but he does remain as the Government of Canada's senior representative and has duties similar to a provincial Lt. Governor.  When we asked questions about this role when we visited the provincial capital in Alberta, and also here, the answers about if he really has any power or is merely a figurehead, were very vague.  The brochure from Whitehorse says he "has duties and responsibilities."  When I asked what those duties and responsibilities were, our guide was clueless.  We were told in Edmonton that the lt. governor had to sign each bill, but our guide couldn't remember him ever not signing a bill.   

The receptionist, Fay, took us on a mini-tour of the legislature.  There is only one house, the LAC.  The equivalent of our states' governors is the premier.  There are 19 total assemblymen.  Currently, the Yukon party (conservative) has 12 seats, the New Democratic Party has 6, and is the most liberal party, and the Liberals (who are more middle-of-the-road) have 1 seat.  The speaker breaks ties, but he isn't allowed to ask questions or tell people what he thinks.  With such a lopsided assembly, it sounds like a boring position.  The premier never has exercised his veto power in Fay's memory, and she's been there for 2 decades.  All jobs are full-time, though they only meet for one month in the spring for a budget session and for one month in the fall for legislative business.  It is against the law for them to hold any other job.  They are not allowed to have any laptops, cellphones, or electronic devices.  That's why they have 2 pages.  If they want factual information looked up for discussion, there are 2 clerks.  Their pay depends on how many "portfolios" (cabinet posts) they have.  When they are in session, they start at 1:00, and "may work quite late--I've seen them not finish until 6:00."  Gee whiz!  That's late?  A five-hour workday??  And, they don't meet on Fridays!

Fay also wanted to tell us how well they treat their seniors.  In addition to medical care, they get subsidies for dental work or eyeglasses.  She says there is a shortage of doctors.  1500 people don't have doctors, so they have to use walk-in clinics or emergency rooms.

We went over to the Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre.  It is a very large, gorgeous building designed to be a "meeting place."  However, there is a lack of artifacts; there are only about a dozen displays--not display cases, total displays.  Three First Nations members have made beautiful masks and mukluks, and only one item dated before 2008. (Picture 7) There were a few panels with pictures and words describing a very brief history.  They were holding a dream catcher making class, and they invited us to attend.  The instructor didn't look at all First Nation, and I think they were afraid they wouldn't have many people come.

We took in the Jeep for its appointment, spent $80, found out that we aren't harming it when towing in neutral and driving it in 4-wheel drive.  Rather than staying in Whitehorse longer, we opted to get it fixed at a Jeep dealer, probably in Seattle.

We stopped by the eaglets' nest on this overcast day, and one was just perched on the rim, watching the world.  We could see one's head inside the nest, and the third wasn't visible.  I really wanted to see them fly.  I hope they fledge soon and live happy lives.

Staying at Pioneer RV Park.

Attachments

• IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3364.jpg
    IMG_3364.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 12
August 8 Day 83 Watson Lake, YT

We drove the Alaskan Highway.  In the late afternoon, we had rain, bright, faraway lightning, and an orchestra of loud thunder that rumbled, though it was well separated in time from the lightning.  This is very different from our crackling thunder in SoCal.

Wildlife Count: 1 slow-moving porcupine crossing the highway--still alive when we passed by him.

Staying at Baby Nugget--50 amp, FHU, good pictures, poor programming on Cable TV, WiFi available in office  $45.72 with Good Sam

August 9 Day 84 Bob Quinn??, BC

The first 200 miles on the Cassiar were frostheaved, rough road, some gravel, and it beat us to death--totally miserable.  After that it was pretty smooth.  We left at 9:00 AM and stopped at 8:00 PM, and we only made about 270 miles.  We stopped for lunch at Jade City.  Their restaurant isn't built yet, so we ate in the RV.  Their beautiful jade chess sets and jewelry are well worth a 20-minute stop. 

We stopped 27 miles before that at a rest stop and met a fascinating couple from Ontario.  We talked with them for over an hour.  She, too, has the problem of mixed Canada and US usage on her phone. She paid $25 to have her phone permanently "unlocked"  at a little mall shop that sells phone covers.  Then she went to ATT & bought a $25 Sim card.  She paid ATT $25 for a month of unlimited data and 250 talking minutes.  She said that getting an I-Phone unlocked costs $110.  But, every time you go back and forth from US to Canada you just put the other card in.  And, you can re-load your ATT card for more months!  When we go to the Maritimes, I definitely will do that.

We are camped next to an airstrip for helicopters, the Bob Quinn, about 90 miles from Mezidian.  In the Milepost, it said it is illegal to overnight camp in turnouts, so we looked for a rest stop.  This one is even paved.

August 10 Day 85 Stewart, BC

We had a beautiful drive with lots of sun, glaciers, big trees (not those scrawny black spruce), lakes, rivers, and bridges.  They are doing a lot of logging, which is clogging up a lot of the streams.  There were a couple of stops for construction projects, but generally the road was quite good.  Dean spotted two black bears in a gully by the road. 

The Bear Glacier (Picture 1) used to cover the valley, and the road was built on much higher ground, but it is receding quickly.

We were hungry, so as soon as we parked the RV, we went to the Seafood Bus.  It's as good as we remembered, but they have no diet drinks.  Then we went to see the bears.  I thought the afternoon was their nap time, and the ranger told Dean that they are at Fish Creek in Hyder from 6:00-10:00 AM and PM.

We stopped at the Bear Festival in Stewart and chatted with the vendors.  Dean bought a huge homemade ice cream sandwich for $3--a real deal.  It had two large chocolate chip cookies with ice cream in the middle.  I wanted lettuce; we haven't had any for several days.  I paid $5 for a small amount of romaine--enough to make us each one salad.

We returned to Fish Creek at 6:30, and there were salmon flopping around everywhere (Picture 2).  However, the only wildlife enjoying the fish was a few gulls.  (Picture 3)

Finally, at 9:15, Monica came loping through the stream, trying to catch salmon.  She was named after Monica Lewitsky because she was romantically involved with another bear, who they named Bill.  We figured out that she is about 20 years old.  We saw here fishing in this same stream when we were here 4 years ago.  She missed in her lunge, and came up all wet (Picture 4).  Her eyesight may not be perfect, but we saw her get two salmon.  She just ate the skin and eggs because they are full of the protein and fat she will need to get through the winter.  Gulls will eat her leftovers.  She may be old, but I wouldn't want to tangle with her.  Look at those claws!  (Picture 5)  She completely ignored the crowd on the pedestrian bridge and stayed focused until she ran down the river out of sight.  (Picture 6)

Staying at Bear River RV Park--$38.31, 30 amps FHU, Cable TV, WiFi, trees, gravel road and pads.

Attachments

• IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 36
August 11 Day 86 Smithers, BC

Today was another beautiful 80? day.  We got up really early to go see the bears, but we missed all 3 of them.  They were just leaving as we came.  We did see one they call Dog in the distance before he made a U-turn and went out of sight.  We had to be out of our RV park by 11:00 or they charge $10 per hour.

We had a lovely, scenic drive to Smithers.  Our RV park looks out at a melting glacier.  Dean wanted to go out to eat and to a movie, and I think with all the driving he's done, he deserves it.  We went to restaurant after restaurant that are supposed to be open on Sundays, and they were closed.  We finally found a nice restaurant with lots of open tables, but they were completely booked, and they told us that there would be a 40-minute wait.  They said they had too much business since the other 4 or 5 restaurants that were supposed to be open weren't.  We went over to KFC, had a quick bite and to a movie.

For those who follow--put on lots of Deet if you go to see the bears.  I can't believe the no see 'ums can bite through a heavy coat, but they did.  They really got me on my hands, ankles, and feet.  I've taken 4 Benadryl, and I'm still itching.

Staying at Glacier View RV Park--looking out at a melting glacir, $28, WiFi that is great, FHU, 30 amp, pull-thru

Interesting facts:  Canadians elect their lower house members by geographic area, but their Senate is all appointed by the premier (why even have it?)  I've spoken with Canadians and they wonder the same thing.  They spend $100,000,000 a year on it. 

They too, have scandals.  Last year Sen. Fairbarn attended the Senate and voted along party lines for 4 months after she was diagnosed with dementia and declared legally incompetent. 

The citizenry is active.  A Mariachi band played on Parliament Hill as anti-Senate activists served burritos to highlight the lengthy Mexican sojourns of Senator Thompson.  The people here in Smithers wear shirts expressing their opposition to the Albertan pipeline proposal, Enbridge.  I talked with a man wearing a shirt, and he told me that the pipeline would go right through this town of Smithers.  He said the First Nations are very opposed and have gone on record.  There have been hearings.  The final decision will be made by a 3-man committee appointed by the federal government.  He said that in the 60 years this committee has existed, they have only denied one project.

Good stuff, Linda!! Sounds as if you're still enjoying yourselves mightily, as we are. You are really getting your fill of wild things doing what wild things do...caribou, bears, eagles, and even very slow porcupines. Stay well...I'm surprised you could take 4 Benadryl pills and still hold your eyes open, much less write posts on reform.net...man, I'd be out like a light! Have fun, you two!

August 12 & 13 Days 87 & 88 Prince George, BC

We have a great RV park with wonderful WiFi, so we're taking a breather, catching up on laundry and paperwork and fixing things. 

We went grocery shopping at the Canadian Superstore, very similar to Costco, but they sell things in smaller quantities.  Finding items was a pain in the foot!  Favorite brands are unavailable.  Many things come in much smaller sizes.  Dean bought a box of Wheat Thins, and it was half the size of a regular box.  Sugar-free anything isn't usually available.  But, I bought a couple of items that they have and we don't--just to try them out.  I wished for my nephew to be here, because many of the labels were in French only.  I can't explain why, but it felt like shopping in a huge grocery store of the 50's.  You pay a loony ($1) to get a shopping cart, and when you return it, the machine pays you back your loony.  Some people don't return the carts, and kids and homeless return them to get the loonies.  BCers are very nice and helpful.

Today, Dean wants to go downtown "shopping" for nothing.  I don't understand it, but I'll go along with it.  I'm planning on dragging him to an art museum with me.

We will be planning our ferry trip over to Victoria today.  Suggestions are appreciated.  Logistics are a pain.  Fortunately, we have great WiFi at this park.  However, Canadian websites are not nearly as user-friendly or well-thought-out as ours.  Attractions seldom give their hours, and it costs us 90 cents a minute to call.  We've made some calls, but we don't want to rack up too many minutes.

Staying at Sintich RV Park, $34, 50 amps, good cable TV, FHU, trees, nice manager.

August 14 & 15 Days 89 & 90 Prince George, BC

We've just been sleeping in and repairing.  We think there's only one shoe repair, and it would take him a week to repair Dean's favorite shoes--his sandals.  He'll try again in Vancouver.  Dean wants a diamond willow walking stick, so we've been all over town from the art museum to stores looking.  He's heard that there are lots of carvers on Vancouver Island, so when we're in Victoria, he'll look again.

We are all caught up with everything, so we think we're well prepared for the trip through the sparsely populated area from here to Vancouver.  Hopefully the lack of population will mean more wildlife population.  We will probably not have WiFi.

Staying at Sintich RV Park, $34, 50 amps, good cable TV, FHU, trees, nice manager.

Linda, I just want to say a big thank you for your interesting report on your Alaska adventure.  We are planning a trip next year so we have been following a few blogs this year to gather lots of information.  I have been taking lots of notes.  It is good to have honest opinions about places rather than "tourist spiel".  Enjoy the rest of your trip home.

Diane

55cruisers said:
Linda, I just want to say a big thank you for your interesting report on your Alaska adventure.  We are planning a trip next year so we have been following a few blogs this year to gather lots of information.  I have been taking lots of notes.  It is good to have honest opinions about places rather than "tourist spiel".  Enjoy the rest of your trip home.

Diane

I'm glad we can be of help.  One of the best things I've learned on this trip is that everyone has different ideas of what Alaska is, and it sounds like everyone got what they wanted.  My biggest tip would be to buy the Northern Lights Coupon Book and the Alaska Toursaver Book.  One costs $50, and the other costs $100, and no matter what your interests are, they will more than pay for themselves.  I haven't looked recently, but I believe that each one lists all the things they have coupons for, and they are usually buy one/get one free.  If you go on just one wildlife marine cruise, it will pay for itself.  We have been twice, and we may come again.

I have also found the websites "rvparkreviews" and "tripadvisor things to do" to be very helpful.  Just google what I put in quotes with the city you are interested in.  Also, rvparkreviews tells you in the upper right hand corner what other cities have RV parks close-by.  Like, right now while we are seeing Vancouver, we are staying in Surrey, 10 min. away and close to the ferry that we will be taking for a 2-3 day trip to Victoria. My husband prefers Trailer Life and AAA, but I like the websites better.  They are more current, and they tell me of things like a steep driveway, alternative approaches, potholes, etc., that isn't rated.

Alaska offers a grand time for everyone!  The hardest part is establishing your priorities--ours were seeing wildlife.

Dean & Linda Stock said:
I'm glad we can be of help.  One of the best things I've learned on this trip is that everyone has different ideas of what Alaska is, and it sounds like everyone got what they wanted.  My biggest tip would be to buy the Northern Lights Coupon Book and the Alaska Toursaver Book.  One costs $50, and the other costs $100, and no matter what your interests are, they will more than pay for themselves.  I haven't looked recently, but I believe that each one lists all the things they have coupons for, and they are usually buy one/get one free.  If you go on just one wildlife marine cruise, it will pay for itself.  We have been twice, and we may come again.

I have also found the websites "rvparkreviews" and "tripadvisor things to do" to be very helpful.  Just google what I put in quotes with the city you are interested in.  Also, rvparkreviews tells you in the upper right hand corner what other cities have RV parks close-by.  Like, right now while we are seeing Vancouver, we are staying in Surrey, 10 min. away and close to the ferry that we will be taking for a 2-3 day trip to Victoria. My husband prefers Trailer Life and AAA, but I like the websites better.  They are more current, and they tell me of things like a steep driveway, alternative approaches, potholes, etc., that isn't rated.

Alaska offers a grand time for everyone!  The hardest part is establishing your priorities--ours were seeing wildlife.

Thanks, Linda, for the extra hints.  We will definitely check out the coupon books.

Diane

55cruisers said:
Thanks, Linda, for the extra hints.  We will definitely check out the coupon books.

Diane
Diane, if you send me  personal message thru the Forum, I will give you our e-mail and send your our log from 2009, which encompasses more sights that we skipped this time.  I hope you have a wonderful time in Alaska, and I hope you do a log.  I think RV park info is especially valuable.  Finding a good place in Denali without having to make the year-ahead-of-time reservation for the NP, was a gold mine.  I'll look forward to reading your adventures.

August 16

We just drove and drove.  Some areas were pretty.  We went through one large desert-like area without cacti, which surprised us.  The soil looked like sand, and the mountainous areas appeared to have lots of "sandslides."  There were a few evergreen trees with very short limbs. 

Originally, we had planned on stopping in Cache Creek, but Brookside RV Park, our destination, had no vacancies when we called in the early afternoon.  We figured that it was destiny and just decided to make as many miles as we could.  It was only high 60's, but it was very humid and hard to sleep.

Stayed at Rest Stop on Hwy. #1, MP A131 (A=Abbottsford)

August 17, Saturday Day 92 Surrey (Vancouver), BC--An easy day???

We got an early start for us...we were on the road before 9:00!I told Dean that today would be an "easy drive" because we were only a couple of hours outside of Vancouver, and I started planning what we would do when we arrived. 

Within 5 minutes, Dean was experiencing engine overheating.  The alarm was blaring constantly and never stopped.  An idiot light said to turn off the engine immediately.  The cat hid behind a chair and covered his ears with his paws.. 

Dean pulled over at the first turnout to let it cool, but it only cooled down slightly.  The alarm and idiot light started as soon as he turned on the engine. We limped to the next turnout and waited another half-hour for it to cool, which it did slightly.  Of course, we had no cell phone service at all--ZERO BARS!  At the third turnout, a car with two elderly ladies pulled over to help us. They told us that the road ahead was more uphill and downhill, and Dean decided he had to go back to the little town behind us for repair as he knew it would be downhill all the way.  We drove for over 30 minutes before we got there.

The town was tiny, and we saw no gas station or repair facility.  When I saw the Acacia Grove RV Park, I told Dean to pull in and that they would know where the nearest RV repair was.  The manager there was so nice.  He talked "engines" with Dean for 10 or 15 minutes and said the nearest RV repair was Vancouver. He also told us that if we had gone around the curve when we turned around, the rest of the way was downhill.  We were at the top!  So, Dean decided to try again to make it to Vancouver.  The engine had cooled to normal when we made the downhill drive, and the alarm stopped its raucous sound.

We re-drove the miles long uphill grade slowly, and the engine warmed a little, but the alarm didn't go off once.  The further we went, the more beautiful the scenery became--a big, beautiful variety of evergreens.  I was quickly feeling much better. 

We had turned a 120-mile drive into a 10-hour day, but everything is good now.

Staying at Pacific Border RV Park--$302.40/7 days, 7th day free, 50-amps, FHU, helpful managers, trees, great WIFI and many clear channels on cable TV, spaces close together, but enough room for slides and awning.

August 16

We just drove and drove.  Some areas were pretty.  We went through one large desert-like area without cacti, which surprised us.  The soil looked like sand, and the mountainous areas appeared to have lots of "sandslides."  There were a few evergreen trees with very short limbs. 

Originally, we had planned on stopping in Cache Creek, but Brookside RV Park, our destination, had no vacancies when we called in the early afternoon.  We figured that it was destiny and just decided to make as many miles as we could.  It was only high 60's, but it was very humid and hard to sleep.

Stayed at Rest Stop on Hwy. #1, MP A131 (A=Abbottsford)

August 17, Saturday Day 92 Surrey (Vancouver), BC--An easy day???

We got an early start for us...we were on the road before 9:00!I told Dean that today would be an "easy drive" because we were only a couple of hours outside of Vancouver, and I started planning what we would do when we arrived. 

Within 5 minutes, Dean was experiencing engine overheating.  The alarm was blaring constantly and never stopped.  An idiot light said to turn off the engine immediately.  The cat hid behind a chair and covered his ears with his paws.. 

Dean pulled over at the first turnout to let it cool, but it only cooled down slightly.  The alarm and idiot light started as soon as he turned on the engine. We limped to the next turnout and waited another half-hour for it to cool, which it did slightly.  Of course, we had no cell phone service at all--ZERO BARS!  At the third turnout, a car with two elderly ladies pulled over to help us. They told us that the road ahead was more uphill and downhill, and Dean decided he had to go back to the little town behind us for repair as he knew it would be downhill all the way.  We drove for over 30 minutes before we got there.

The town was tiny, and we saw no gas station or repair facility.  When I saw the Acacia Grove RV Park, I told Dean to pull in and that they would know where the nearest RV repair was.  The manager there was so nice.  He talked "engines" with Dean for 10 or 15 minutes and said the nearest RV repair was Vancouver. He also told us that if we had gone around the curve when we turned around, the rest of the way was downhill.  We were at the top!  So, Dean decided to try again to make it to Vancouver.  The engine had cooled to normal when we made the downhill drive, and the alarm stopped its raucous sound.

We re-drove the miles long uphill grade slowly, and the engine warmed a little, but the alarm didn't go off once.  The further we went, the more beautiful the scenery became--a big, beautiful variety of evergreens.  I was quickly feeling much better. 

We had turned a 120-mile drive into a 10-hour day, but everything is good now.

Staying at Pacific Border RV Park--$302.40/7 days, 7th day free, 50-amps, FHU, helpful managers, trees, great WIFI and many clear channels on cable TV, spaces close together, but enough room for slides and awning.

August 18, Sunday Day 93 Surrey (Vancouver), BC

I love Vancouver!  There are beautiful, lush trees, bushes, and flowers everywhere.  Vancouver has the second most restaurants per capita, second only to San Francisco.  There are restaurants from as many as 10 different cultures in one city block.  And, they are very specific.  One advertised "spicy Indian Chinese food."  The Chinese restaurants are labeled as Hunan, Szechuan, Cantonese, and Muslim.  The people here are nice, too.

We did chores in the morning, and then we went out to lunch at The Happy Dragon Chinese & Japanese.  I had noticed many Asians exiting this restaurant last night.  I've learned that with ethnic foods, the more people from that culture that eat there, the better and more authentic it is.  I ordered their won ton soup and yakisoba with chicken, and both were outstanding.  I'd love to go back again.  We were the only non-Asians in the place, and the waitress really struggled trying to speak English.

Our GPS works in BC.  Amazing!  So, immediately I got lazy and stopped Mapquesting in the RV.  Mistake!  When we got to the restaurant and put the Nitobe Gardens in the GPS, it wasn't in the memory bank.  And, it wasn't on my map.  When a nice-looking Asian man sat down at the table next to us, I got an idea.  I waited for him to order, and then I told him we were from California and were trying to find the Nitobe.  He had lived in California, and he was so kind that he took my little notebook and wrote out detailed directions.  His meal came, but he sat there pondering.  He decided that he wasn't positive of his directions.  So, as his lunch cooled, he called a friend who was born and raised in Vancouver.  His friend gave me similar directions.  Aren't Canadians wonderful! 

Confidently, we started to the Nitobe.  Carefully following the directions, we passed by the Bloedel Conservatory, which was also on my list of Places to Go.  We figured that we were there, weren't sure we'd be able to find it again, so why not go?  It is located in the beautiful Queen Elizabeth Park, where there are many beautiful gardens. (Picture 1)  There's a feeling of tranquility as we strolled through the gardens.  There were many wedding parties having their pictures taken in the pretty setting.  One had just been married there 10 minutes before.  After paying the small admission charge, we entered a large domed greenhouse structure.  There were many beautiful plants and birds.  A squawking yellow macaw screeched loudly.  When I approached him and spoke quietly with him, he cocked his head and listened, and then made pretty sounds. (Picture 2)  Many different types of orchids were on display (Picture 3).  Many small birds flitted among the trees and feeders (Picture 4).  There were two eclectus parrots, Ruby (the female) who had a bright red head, and Kiwi (the green male).  I would never have guessed they were the same type.  They are sexually dimorphic, which means that the female is more colorful than the male.  They live in New Guinea and northeastern Australia.  (Pictures 5 & 6)  We spent about 2 hours there, and I think Dean enjoyed it as much as I did.  We kept discovering more beautiful birds.  Dean shot almost 200 pictures, and I'm using 33 of them in my scrapbook.  My heart sang with joy.  What a spectacular day! 

Attachments

• IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3459.jpg
    IMG_3459.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3487.jpg
    IMG_3487.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3543.jpg
    IMG_3543.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 7
August 19 Day 94 Surrey (Vancouver), BC

Our Jeep has been showing that it is in 4-wheel drive and we can't open the side passenger door, so we called Jim Patterson Jeep in Surrey.  What nice people!  They told us that we were very near another Jeep dealer, and that while they would appreciate our business, we would probably enjoy the convenience of  going closer to Haley Jeep. Haley got us in right away, fixed everything beautifully, and emptied the Yukon gravel from our skid pans.  They took Dean back to the work area so he could see what exactly was wrong and were very professional.  They even gave the Jeep a quick (free) wash afterwards and got off most of the dust.  It is so much cleaner.  All staff were very nice.  Prices were quite reasonable.  We would highly recommend to RVForumers.

However, it was after 4:00 when Dean returned, too late to go to anywhere on my list.  When my daughter and I were here about 15 years ago, we stopped at their tiny casino for directions to the airport.  We didn't play, just used their facilities and information.  I had seen a picture of their brightly lit Downtown Casino, so we decided to check it out.  As we entered the driveway, four young people were seated with crossed legs.  I thought it was some kind of a sit-in.  The casino is right next to the marina/harbor, and apparently these kids had drunk or drugged too much.  When the security guard had the young man stand up, one of the girls toppled over, passed out.  The guard guided us past them. We went into the tiny bistro there. I had a wonderful chicken curry soup and shrimp stir-fry  with perfectly-cooked vegetables (hard to do), good enough to have been a fine restaurant.  The casino wasn't impressive, but I love that all casinos in BC are totally non-smoking.  I lost a little; Dean won a little.  So we broke even and had an experience.  They had free parking.  We didn't stay long because of an early ferry ride tomorrow.

August 20 Day 95 Victoria, BC

We got up at 5:15 to make the 8:00 ferry to Victoria.  We had planned to save sleeping time by eating breakfast onboard. As we pulled from the dock, there was a big jerk.  Just as we sat down, the loudspeaker called our California license number and another car's license number and told us both to go to our cars.  Uh oh!  It turned out that they needed for both cars to be moved so that a disabled man could get from his van to the elevator.  He was in the next lane over from us.  We had noted the side entry for a wheelchair and had left a big gap so he could use his ramp,  which he was able to do. However, he couldn't get from the big space to the ramp for the elevator.  So, with the help of the ferry man, Dean and the other guy created space so he could get his wheelchair up and out. 

My second priority was The Robert Bateman Center, $17/2 seniors.  It turned out to be my #1 favorite place to visit in Victoria.  Not only are the 160 works of art beautiful, but they are enhanced with modern technology.  You can pick up a phone at the desk when you enter and use it to scan the square next to each work of art.  It will give you the story behind the painting and where and why it was painted. If you see a hand symbol next to a bird picture, you can run your hand over it and hear their call--appropriately loud and long.  In two areas, if you like a painting, you can press that picture and others that he has made of similar subjects will appear on the wall.  Good idea, but a picture of a picture just doesn't make the grade with me.  In time, technology will be available to make it more real.

Robert Bateman is a wonderful 83-year-old artist who still paints and challenges himself.  He uses a variety of media to demonstrate his passion for the Earth.  He is the ultimate environmentalist, and all his works have a lesson. 

Dean liked the eagles, so he took pictures of the only two bald eagles in this art museum (Pictures #1 and 2).  This painting (#3) of a tiger rug with the Chinese graphics is about their decimating the tiger population to use the tiger parts.  Picture #4 was commissioned specifically as a gift for Prince William when he visited.  I wonder why it is still here in BC.  Did he give it back?

We ate at the Royal BC Museum Cafe', only a block away, which was recommended by the docent at the Bateman Center.  We were disappointed.  The cafe was crowded, not well organized, and I make everything they had on their menu, so it wasn't special.  Our 2 tuna sandwiches with very little tuna and one drink were $19.74.  Parking a block away from the Bateman was $2/hour at the Parkcade.  The bad thing is that you have to accurately guesstimate how long you would be gone because you couldn't add time.  If you guessed you'd be done at 3:30 and wanted to extend to 4:30, so you went back at 2:30 to add an hour's worth of time, you'd end up paying twice for the 2:30-3:30 time period.

Hotels in Victoria don't check you in until 3:00, so it was now late enough to go check in.  By the time we got unpacked, it was too late to go anywhere.  We discovered free parking was available at Silver City Cinema, just a short drive away.  We saw "Two Guns", which was pretty good.

Sherlock the Cat is staying at the Pacific Border RV Park.  We stayed at the Comfort Hotel & Convention Center--2 nights with full included breakfast buffet of eggs, meat (ham or sausage), sweet rolls, muffins, fruit, yogurt, cereals, wonderful orange juice or apple juice, make-your own waffles--total with $33 of taxes $256, modern 3-story motel, spacious room, extremely clean, wonderful, helpful staff

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3618.jpg
    IMG_3618.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg