Alaskan Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene T said:
They don't necessarily have to run from front to back for drainage. Most truck beds already have the ridges to allow the water to drain. You can run the boards from side to side IMHO.

Rene, I would agree with you IF the camper was entirely in the bed.  In this case, we are talking about an 8 foot camper in a 6.5 foot bed, with the rear 1.5 feet resting on the tailgate.  In this case, I think running the 2x6s front to back will provide better, more rigid support for the camper floor sitting on the tailgate.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Rene, I would agree with you IF the camper was entirely in the bed.  In this case, we are talking about an 8 foot camper in a 6.5 foot bed, with the rear 1.5 feet resting on the tailgate.  In this case, I think running the 2x6s front to back will provide better, more rigid support for the camper floor sitting on the tailgate.

You're right. I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Rene T said:
They don't necessarily have to run from front to back for drainage. Most truck beds already have the ridges to allow the water to drain. You can run the boards from side to side IMHO.

I had run mine crosswise with my first Alaskan.  After a couple years I had to remove the Alaskan and found the 2x4 that I had used deformed and filled the ridges in the bed and debris had filled the space and was wet with water.  As a result the 2x4 was also deteriorating from the water.  That is why I recommend redwood.

Funny story regarding the pop up truck campers. On the way up the Alaskan Highway on our 2016 trip, a truck with that style camper hit a huge dip on the highway. He must have been doing 70 MPH. The entire roof of the camper blew off, air conditioning and all. This was very close to Destruction Bay.

The funny part of the story is he kept going while the canvas flapped in the wind. I would have loved to be at his next campground when he arrived.

Ken

Alaskan brand campers don't have canvas walls around the pop-top.  The top half has solid walls that fit snugly around the bottom half when the top is lowered into the travel position.  This is much heavier than only having a solid top and it's virtually impossible for the wind to get under the top.

Back
Top Bottom