Alaskas ferry system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmman

As we will be going to Alaska in July i have been reading with interest the Brewers bog which is fantastic and all have bought mick and terry Churchs Alaska camping but the info on the ferries is a little confusing.
If i wanted to go by ferry from Ha ins to Prince Rupert can you get off the ferry with your RV at some of the stops for a couple days then back on or do you have to book separate journeys to each place the ferry web site is not user friendly for someone who has no local kn owlage of the system

If i wanted to go by ferry from Ha ins to Prince Rupert can you get off the ferry with your RV at some of the stops for a couple days then back on or do you have to book separate journeys to each place the ferry web site is not user friendly for someone who has no local kn owlage of the system

Hi Aussie,

You're in for a real treat going to Alaska.  Be sure to get a copy of the Milepost which is the bible for Alaskan travelers.

As to the ferry, we went from Prince Rupert to Skagway which is just across the bay from Haines.  Yes, you can get off at various places, but it makes the trip more expensive.  I'm not sure about how you do the booking, but we figured it wasn't worth it.  Keep in mind that most of the stops, such as Ketchikan and Juneau, have no roads that go inland.  In other words, you can't drive very far if you get off - a couple of miles at most.  What we did at a couple of the stops was get a taxi to go to town (the wharves are away from the main towns) and go exploring.  At Juneau we shared the cab with another couple so we split the cost.  We also lucked out because our cabbie was delighted to show us the sights, such as the Governor's mansion.  After we saw the town he dropped us at the shopping district and said he'd be back in one hour to take us to the ferry.  He was right on time and we had a great time without the added cost of taking the RV off and back on.  Those few hours were enough to see what we should see.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

ArdraF

I don't have personal knowledge, but it's my understanding that you book and pay by the segment. They have to load the ferry according to where you will debark, so you are basically booking each as a separate trip.  You don't have to do it all at once - you can make the arrangements for the next segment when you debark.

There are campgrounds and about 25 miles of roads around Juneau and some people stay there a few days.

palmman said:
As we will be going to Alaska in July i have been reading with interest the Brewers bog which is fantastic

Thank you very much palmman!  I wrote the journal as a memory for me and as a  potential  guide for  someone about to make the trip.  It will be interesting for you to compare  prices from then until now.

As  has been said Ferry bookings are done one segment at a time.  We usually  phoned a couple of days in advance as some  popular dates and times " sell out."
We sure benefitted from getting that TourSaver booklet. Many sights are 50% off.  http://www.toursaver.com/

Re: Alaska Ferry System. I don't know about now, but when were took it many segments sold out early (1998). Check on your itinerary with the booking office and check on availability.

We got off at Juneau and stayed 3 days and then 2 days at Ketchican. Both well worth to us. We traveled in a 36ft DP towing a Grand Cherokee. Sheila had to drive the GC on and off the ships. Parking crews on the ships were excellent. A couple of times I had to back up and turn to get off, but all under careful direction.
In Juneau we stayed at the Mall and in Ketchican at the Fred Meyers(both with prior permission)

Have a great time. We hope to go again next year and plan on taking the ferry for the return trip.

ken

Hey palmman,

We drove up to Fairbanks and used the ferry on the way back.  Got off in Juneau for a couple nights, no worries.  We did make reservations in advance, and made sure to be at each terminal in plenty of time.  Probably the best trip we ever had - lots of fond memories (that was back in 1992, but I don't think the protocol has changed much since).  We enjoyed the Mendenhall glacier, although it was considerably closer to Juneau back then.  I remember setting up camp outside Juneau at 10:30pm and struggling to find a flashlight - it was the first time in four weeks that I'd needed one.  :)  Alaska in the summer is a wonderful place.  But don't forget the bug spray. ;)  And as Ardra says, be sure to acquire a copy of the Milepost.

Cheers.  ...  Steve

PS:  Where in Oz do you reside?

I grew up traveling SE AK by the "AK Marine Highway" ferry system, let me tell you, this is the absolute best way to see Alaska.  Remember, Haines and Skaguay both have stops on the ferry routes,  and both have roads that leave town.  In fact, their roads meet at Haines, Junction, Canada, and you could probably save $ by disembarking at Skagway and DRIVING to Haines and getting back on the ferry there.  It's a very roundabout way, 6-8 hours drive for an hour ferry ride, but keep in mind the roads weren't build to connect to the towns to each other.  There are a few nice places to visit in "between" Haines and Skagway.  Carcross, Yukon, Canada boasts the smallest dessert in the world, and there's some great trout fishing in a few lakes along the way.  There are a few long  stretches for gas through Canada (you'll see a little slice of Yukon and British Columbia) and you will pay in blood for gas at at least 1 location :(

You can get staterooms on the ferry (they won't let you access your RV while the ferry is underway) or you could rough it on lounge chairs in sleeping bags in lounges throughout the boats.  Traveling in high school (sometimes for days each way) we'd sleep on the open-air solarium. :)

From Haines you might drive all the way up to Anchorage (a mere 17-hour drive) and stop through Wasilla, and other town along the way.

Love to chat about Haines & Skagway if you'd like more info :) really miss SE AK and hope to visit by MH ourselves soon.

Carcross, Yukon, Canada boasts the smallest dessert in the world

Chocolate or vanilla?  I'm sure you meant the smallest desert but I couldn't resist!  ;D

ArdraF

Thanks for all your replys its been very helpfull and man am i looking forward to it. I have ordered a copy of milepost couple weeks ago but as yet hasnt arrived and chrishibbard7 i would love to have a chat but it will have to wait a week as i am off tomorrow to the kimberly region of North Australia to do some barrumundi fishing its the complete opposite to alaska very hot and humid even in winter and steve i live in a very nice part of australia on the far north coast of nsw 10miles out from byron bay on a small 30acre farm where i grow palm trees for the landscape market

OHHH!  Barramundi.  I am SO jealous!  On our very first trip to Australia we went to Great Keppel Island for a few days to adjust to the time change before beginning work.  We had never eaten Barramundi before and it is a wonderful fish!  I ate it every day for breakfast.  Yummy!

Over here you'll want fresh halibut and salmon while you're in Alaska.  I had never liked either one prior to Alaska, probably because they were either poorly prepared or canned.  Thankfully I had fresh shortly before going to Alaska and loved eating them there.  I became a convert.  ;)

ArdraF

Andra,

Your comment about fresh salmon triggered a memory. After our last trip (#3) to Alaska, when we were back home in Wyoming, I saw salmon in our small local grocery store. I asked the meat dept. manager if it was fresh or frozen. He said it was definitely
fresh, and wild, not farm raised. It was also $2 LESS per pound than any we had seen while we were in Alaska. Figure that out!!

It was probably Dog or Humpy.  That's AKs biggest inside joke, that they send all the Dog Salmon out of state...and people pay for it!
:p bleah. 

Well back from a very successful fishing trip to the northern territory were me and a mate caught 45 barramundi in the 4 days we were there but only kept 3 each as that is the total bag limit you are allowed but because they are big fish that is plenty allthough we didnt keep the big ones as barra are all born male and only become female when they get to 75cm or 33inches so we released all the fish over 75cm
so am now putting all my effort into the coming trip to Canada and Alaska man i just cant wait

Attachments

• Dennis 85cm Barra.JPG
    Dennis 85cm Barra.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 22
Personally I'm not sure I'd take the ferry on one of the legs.  I'd go up to Yellowknife, NWT, down into BC and back up into Yukon to towns such as Dawson and take the northern route into Alaska.  Then take the southern route out of AK to Whitehorse, Yukon down to Stewart, BC and further to civilization.  No overlap on roads while in Canada.  And not necessarily much overlap while in Alaska.

Of course I'm only looking at routing via the computer.  I have no idea how good the roads are, etc and how many miles of gravel.  But I do want to do that trip some year.

We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway and then drove the Alcan on the way back to the Lower 48.  There's a lot of driving when touring this part of the continent and many people find that driving both ways is just too much driving.  There are many areas where there is nothing but mile-after-mile of trees with mountains in the distance.  Beautiful yes, but it can be boring, as in "too much of a good thing."  ;)  We found that driving one diection only was just about right.  There is a lot to see along the way and definitely Dawson City is among them.  When you enter Canada from the U.S. stop at the visitor center and ask about factory tours in B.C.  We went to all kinds of wood product mills, including a lumber mill, an oriented strand board factory, a finger-joining factory, and even the largest aluminum smelter in the North America.  They were all very interesting.

ArdraF

We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway and then drove the Alcan on the way back to the Lower 48.

One other thing to consider: We have some friends who suggested we do just the opposite - drive up and ferry back down.

That's what we did, starting at Skagway and we got off the ferry at every stop except one - we missed Sitka. It was either be there only a few hours or almost a week. We finished up at Prince Rupert, staying 2-3 days at each stop along the way.

The reason for doing it this way is that most people take the ferry up - their reasoning was that the ferrys going south would be much less crowded. It seemed to work that way - we had absolutely no trouble making the complicated reservations.

ArdraF said:
There's a lot of driving when touring this part of the continent and many people find that driving both ways is just too much driving.  There are many areas where there is nothing but mile-after-mile of trees with mountains in the distance.  Beautiful yes, but it can be boring, as in "too much of a good thing."  ;)  We found that driving one diection only was just about right. 
Good point.  I once did three ferry rides in one day from the middle of Vancouver Island east to the BC mainland and then south.  By the third ferry ride I'd had enough of the scenery and pulled out my laptop.

ArdraF said:
We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway and then drove the Alcan on the way back to the Lower 48.
ArdraF

I haven't been on the whole stretch of the Alcan since the early 80s.  Can you confirm what I've heard: it is completely paved (blacktop or "Cal-top") and no more pure-gravel?

Also, which did you find was cheaper: the ferry ride or the driving part?  Obviously, this will depend heavily on the size and GPH of your rig, but I'd be interested in all the details if you are willing to share!

Chris, that was a few years back and I don't have numbers to give you.  We had a motorhome with toad so paid for both.  Also got an inside cabin for the night which was dark enough to get a good night's sleep.  It was a basic cabin, but clean with bathroom.  Also the food was pretty good.

All the main roads in Alaska are paved.  When we went, Canada's part still had good packed gravel which in some cases was better than Alaska's paved roads with frost heaves.  I believe it's all paved now, but perhaps someone who's been there more recently can comment.  The road varies yearly, depending on the harshness of the previous winter, construction projects, and whether a lot of rain has created a lot of mud.  A couple of people have written trip reports on their Alaskan adventures so you might look those up by using our Search function.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merlee&drebug
Back
Top Bottom